1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I wrong keeping it left of ECO as much as possible?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jholder, Oct 18, 2010.

1. jholder

jholder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm on week 2 of my 2010 Prius IV and am loving it. However, I was just watching a video that detailed some of the best techniques for optimum mileage.

My question- at takeoff, I have been trying to keep it left of ECO initially, then if I need the extra power I take it up just right of ECO (but never into power). Then, once I have achieved the speed, I try to keep it left of ECO as much as possible- at coasting and even on flat roads as long as as I can.

One of the threads mentioned that's actually not the best plan- that I should be keeping it a quarter inch past ECO. Correct?

Also, one thread that I read dealt with acceleration. One said to go ahead and accelerate quickly once right of ECO, then maintain speed. What I've tried to do is ease into acceleration. However, the post said that method runs the engine longer, while the first uses it quick and fast.

Any other vehicle or forum would think I'm WAY overthinking this...but I knew you guys would understand. Ha.

1 person likes this.
  2. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have never taken mine off of ECO. I seem to get better overall mpg than most (calculated). I've tried standard, EV and power just to see the differences. Just not that big a deal. Besides ECO is ideal in Wisconsin winters, no wheel spin equals better traction. Just my observations, others may differ.
    Tony Renier,
    Green Bay, WI, USA

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You will get better mileage with brisker acceleration. I can't give you the specifics with the Gen III, since I don't drive one, but basically you want to accelerate as hard as you can without drawing from the battery. This, of course, assumes a clear road ahead. It is pointless to accelerate hard only to stop again immediately.

Tom

4. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Alot of the stuff out there on P&G was for the GenII. The GenIII is much better at having a wider range of good efficiency.

If you keep the throttle light and run on battery only, you will have to replace that energy eventually. Engine->generate->rectify->store->retrieve->invert->motor->drive is less efficient than simply Engine->drive as long as the engine is making enough power to be in the efficient range. The battery power isn't free, you'll pay for it later.

The efficient engine range is between middle (ECO) and power. Don't be afraid to use the engine to accelerate.

If you have mental energy to spare, use it to anticipate traffic and try to drive as if you had no brakes (even regen). Even though regen gets you some of the energy back, it's not 100%.

1 person likes this.
  5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know where you live but this would be unacceptable here where people try to move fast from stop lights. I accelerate at the edge of green zone and often dip well into power when huge SUV, truck, or school bus (happened today) sits on my butt. I still get near 60 MPH on my commute trips (but getting lower while it's getting colder).

6. jholder

jholder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I do often too, but try to accelerate slower in the right lane. To clarify, I don't mean that I try to keep it left of ECO the entire time. However, when I am at a maintaining or coasting time I do when I have full battery. Hoping that's the most efficient use.

1 person likes this.