1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AM Radio static

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mdaltman, Sep 13, 2006.

1. mdaltman

mdaltman Junior Member

After months of worsening reception on the AM band of the radio in my 05, and nothing done for the problem when I brought it up at my last service in early August, I emailed and telephoned the dealership, working my way up through the ranks to the service manager. He agreed to order me a new radio, which will be in in two weeks, but told me something interesting. He had gotten a lot of complaints similar to mine, but for other Toyotas, not for the Prius. Interesting . . . anyhow, will let you know the result in a couple of weeks.

2. Ron K

Ron K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, progress report
    Dealer put a new antenna cable in - (actually they told me there are two cables to replace)
    Result?
    Radio is back to normal - pefect reception. Only time I hear static is in tunnels or next to large power poles.
    Now to see how long this lasts.
    It is clear to me the antenna cable is too close to some of the cars high voltage electonics. when the cable moves out of its perfect position it picks up interference

Ron

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I'm also having the antenna replaced on my '05 as we 'speak'. Just replacing the radio will only temprarily fix the problem.

4. Ron K

Ron K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it has now been a week since my antenna cable has been replaced and my radio (AM side) works great. under bridges, by power poles. Rarely a slight static (static used to be the ONLY noise in those circumstances).

I am convinced the issue is the antenna, either it looses some insulation or it gets free from it's clips that hold it in place and falls near some high voltage lines.

I even think the clarity on the telephone via bluetooth is better.

Doesn't seem to be much interest in this topic - I think it is affecting more of your radios than you realize.

Ron

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I, too, have just had the antenna and antenna booster replaced and first impressions are unbelievable. Great reception finally for the first time since I have owned the car. Being a sceptic, I think I will reserve final praise and judgement for a week or two since just replacing the radio also improved reception for a little while before reverting back to poor performance. Still, when I last brought the car in for the reception problem my mechanic asked what people on PC were doing to resolve the problem and I had no answer, so I hope in the future this helps the next person.

6. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was there any discoloration on the old antennae cable?
    It could be that heat is breaking down the insulation or impedance characteristics of the cable.
    My 04 Salsa Red had the same issue (dark color=more heat on roof??????)

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(200Volts @ Sep 21 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]323085[/snapback]</div>
    I never got a look at the original antenna

8. fatale

fatale New Member

I am having the same issue with my '04 Prius. The AM radio is HORRIBLE in quality all of a sudden. Going under any object (bridges, hydro.. in the shadow of a large tree) will result in a lot of static. When im on the fringes of the range (just out of toronto - say scarborough / pickering.. listening to toronto stations) i hear the whine of my electric motor more then anything. past a certain point i enter a 'media blackout.

time to go to the shop

9. tjoe78

tjoe78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did you have to pay for it to be replaced? Mine was never great in my '05, but now I can hardly get any AM AT ALL.

10. Ron K

Ron K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tjoe78 @ Oct 4 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]328075[/snapback]</div>
    No, this is a warranty covered repair.
    and by the way, it has been several weeks, excellent AM reception
    (and I swear the phone sounds better too)

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hmm. If replacing the radio fixed the problem for a while, then it sounds like the problem would be in the connection to the radio, since that's the only part that is disturbed.

So, it could be a bad antenna cable, bad cable end, or bad power connection from the radio to the antenna amp.

If someone else gets the antenna system replaced, see if you can examine the replaced parts for damage, such as kinks, breaks, looseness and the like.

12. Ron K

Ron K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Oct 5 2006, 08:26 AM) [snapback]328384[/snapback]</div>

Ah, but you forgot my history. the problem greatly improved with the steering recall. I think just MOVING the antenna cable did it.

Ron