1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amazing MPG or my fuel gauge is busted

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JConradTX, Aug 15, 2016.

1. JConradTX

JConradTX New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello,

I've been lurking the forums for a few weeks now and decided it was time to create a profile and become an active participant. So here is my first post!

I purchased my 4th Gen Prius 4 about four weeks ago and so far I have put 700 miles on the odometer. The concern I have is the fact that I still have over a quarter of a tank of gas according to the fuel gauge. So could this even be possible? Granted I have been driving it in eco mode the entire time and always drive it like a granny. My eco score is almost always around 95/100. As a newb I am wondering if anyone else is seeing this kind of MPGs from their 4th Gens? If this is accurate I am getting probably even better MPGs than the Elios are slated to get at 84 mpgs.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jason

GaryD1 likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to PriusChat! Never trust the first tank of gas, you have no idea what the dealer has done. I hope you enjoy your Prius! Do not hold up other traffic!

Darkneece and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! anything is possible with these new fangled high tech monsters. but here's a clue, somewhere in that mass of information on the dash screens, there's a little display that tells you what you're average mpg's are for the tank/trip. that will give you a clue by looking up the tank size and doing the math. all the best!(y)

4. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good start. Even "Granny" driving has it's limits - don't depend on the dealer having filled the car up completely. Once you fill the tank to the first click then you know it's really full. Watch the DTE (distance to empty) carefully.

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! I'm very careful to monitor how many miles my 2009 Gen II is driven, and how much gas I put in the fuel-tank. By simple mathematics I know exactly what the total fuel consumption is. I think the fuel-gauge and the metering methods can never be as accurate as my method, but it's certainly several orders of magnitude better than they were 50 years ago, although basic Mathematics haven't changed much in that time, so my advice is not to agonize too much. Keep accurate logs and drive your new car a few hundred miles and let us know what you find! ;)

6. JConradTX

JConradTX New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, what I am saying is I've put 700 miles on the odometer since I bought it and have yet to add a drop of fuel to it myself! Based on the best MPGs everyone else is posting I should have run out of gas 100 miles ago and instead my fuel gauge says I have a quarter tank of gas left.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    understood. and what do your average mpg's show?

8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sure, I think I understand what you described, but you might do well to read up about potential problems if you run out of gas (on any modern car, not just the Prius - it's all to do with the gas-pump being located in the fuel tank (for cooling) and the hazards of letting it overheat, and the expense of having to replace it! :eek: Run it out of gas at your own risk! (…just a Word to The Wise! ;))

9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always advise filling a car up soon after purchase - it might look as though the dealer filled it, but they often short-change it. The computer (and possibly fuel gauge) won't necessarily read correctly till it's had one proper fill.

700 miles, (1125 kilometers), should nearly be empty - mine shows about 1200-1250 km is the range after I've filled it.

I'd fill it, just to be on the safe side.

10. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    good luck with your new ride, keep us posted when you fill up how the math comes out.

what does your average mpg show?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good question, without feedback from the o/p, we're left wondering...

12. JConradTX

JConradTX New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello, thanks for the responses. To answer your questions it is showing 63.8 average but I have been keeping an eye on my post trip results and it's almost always showing from high 70s to high 80s. I plan on filling up tomorrow and will update how much fuel it takes. I drove another 50 miles today and the fuel gauge still hasn't moved from a quarter tank full.

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many gallons in the gen 4 tank? if it's 10 to the last pip, you'd be talking 7 or 8 used. 64 (which is lily a little high) x 8 = 512, so you've definitely got something funky going on there. it matters not what you show after a trip, except for that trip. the tank average is the tank average.

will be interesting to see how many gallons she takes. are you sure everything was zeroed out when you got her? specifically the trip odo?

14. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    11.3 gallons seems to be the measure.

bisco likes this.
  15. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Well it appears the op is from Kansas.

It don't get much flatter than out around them parts. Could have something to do with the better than the norm mpg...?

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well those mpg numbers would help. Holy cow. The 63.8 mpg average probably included some idling that the dealer did as it prepped your car.

11.3 gal tank minus the reserve of about 1.85 gal would put it at 9.45 gal of fuel used when the low fuel light comes on. Using 83mpg (since you said high 70s to high 80s), would mean the light will come on at 784.3 miles. Also, you would be able to do over 900 miles on that tank. Wow.

Well you could refuel soon and see how many gallons you added. If you only added 9 gallons or so, then the readouts are right and you're just in a fantastic area (in terms of geography) to maximize Prius fuel economy.

70 mpg isn't out of the question as some CA members have gotten that. Even TX and FL members with Gen 2 Prii have gotten 60mpg so those same members would be getting 70-80 in the Gen 4 if they upgraded.

GaryD1 likes this.
  17. JConradTX

JConradTX New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I drove all day today (20 miles) and filled up on my way home. It took 8.23 gallons until it clicked off and I was able to put another 0.25 gallon with one more squeeze. So basic math says I drove 720 miles on 8.5 gallons of fuel. At least I know my fuel gauge isn't broken.

GaryD1, bisco and krmcg like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    (n)mmm, 720 / 8.5 = 85 mpg? wow, you're killing it man!(y)

19. JConradTX

JConradTX New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Alright well I got my answer to original question. Great MPGs and a functioning fuel gauge. Double win. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

20. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    your gas in tank will get old at the mpg you getting