1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amazon HID ballasts, any experience?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MCCOHENS, Feb 23, 2024.

1. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I did the replace without testing thing and put in a new headlight on the left side, still no high beam. Fuses are ok, but I will swap ballasts to see if the problem moves. If it does, are there any off brand ones that are decent?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So you have low beam on this side but no high beam I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the ballast the shutter's not moving You don't have a low and high beam in HID you have a light and you have a shutter that cuts off the light which makes your low beam That's the fault when you hit the high beam switch the shutter lifts up and gives you 100% of the light that's coming from the bulb shining at the people or objects which is your high beam so that's the reason for my question if you have a low beam you need to find out why the shutters not responding You hear it click up and down when you move the switch from low to high beam and put the blue light on the dash so then on the side you're talking about you have no beam at all? Most of the ballast with the correct plug for your I can't remember what it is D4S lamps they have that big round hole with an electrode in the center and the bulb plug goes into that receptacle boom most of the ballast that I have dealt with from Amazon or any of these companies are reasonably okay they're a lot smaller than what comes in the Prius so I think they can go in that place that they mount on the bottom of the headlight and have room to move around and click under braking and you know whatever sound like something's moving around in the headlight so you may want to foam it in tape it in something the ballast that is so aftermarket ballast that I've dealt with seem to be built very well I have one on a car with its original bulbs that don't use the D4 type connector that has been in there for like 8 years I'm actually kind of quite surprised because it was a very cheap setup like 60 bucks for the two bulbs the two ballast they fit in an H4 hole and the bulbs actually are on a screw thread and are adjustable in and out to try and put the beam of light from the bulb right where you want it in your housing within reason.