1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ambient Light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 1st prius, Nov 21, 2013.

1. 1st prius

1st prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello, I have the 2010 prius IV and it came with orange ambient lighting for the front wells but not the back seat. If I buy leds for the backseat, can I tap into the front lights so that it dims when I am driving and full brightness when parked? Has anyone done this? If so, please let me know if there is anything special that I need. Thank you!

2. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't own a Prius, so I can't give you precise advise. Are the orange lights in the front of the LED variety, or are they traditional incandescent? If the front bulbs are incandescent, then tapping into the wire and installing LEDs would likely work, but the dimming might be more abrupt. There should be no reason why you can't tap into this wire though.

I replaced the interior bulbs in my TSX with LEDs, and they dim about 60% as much as the previous incandescent did, and then just abruptly turn off. No big deal to me, since dimming seems more of a gimmick and less of a useful feature.

3. 1st prius

1st prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They are LEDS, Toyota part # 81080-22040.