1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

America Adrift

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Sep 7, 2006.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/8EC...724C75952E6.htm

What came as a shock was that, in the same week, General George W Casey, the supreme commander in Iraq, privately presented a plan for significant troop reductions to the president.

Many a senator who is beginning to feel that congress has become irrelevant in this war was livid. Senator Boxer stated, "Now it turns out we [Democrats] are in sync with General Casey."

events have occurred to indicate that our various branches of government are in conflict.
    Senator Carl Levin said: "One of the worst-kept secrets in town is that the administration intends to pull out troops before the mid-term elections in November."

The White House argued that Casey simply presented a contingency plan. Well, we all know about contingency plans, so here is my question. Did Casey also provide a contingency plan for bolstering our beleaguered troops in Iraq?

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That article was clearly an opinion piece, and from a particularly biased media outlet, yet you seem to regard it as a news article and therefore truth. Would you accept as truth an opinion piece from Fox News that makes unattributed claims?

Find me a real news article, with attributed sources, from any country / media outlet, which backs up the claim that General Casey gave a plan for near term troop reductions, or that the White House claimed it was just a contingency plan, or for that matter, that Senator Carl Levin said "One of the worst-kept secrets in town is that the administration intends to pull out troops before the mid-term elections in November".

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Sep 7 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]315822[/snapback]</div>
    Pull troops before the mid-terms? They better hurry! LOL! :lol:
    Won't matter even if they did either the voters will think it's political or they have already made up their minds who they will vote for.

Wildkow

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Sep 7 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]315822[/snapback]</div>

CLEARLY an opinion piece as stated at the top of the article/opinion. No misrepresentation there. I found it an interesting read for the many topics it touched on. If I may be picky, even if it were presented as attributed fact I'm sure many would disclaim it anyway since it was in Al Jezzera.

5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll bet no more than 30% of the country will even vote in Nov. (NOTE: 30% of those registered to vote!!!) B)

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I will have to vote for the lesser of the two evil's weather its dem, rep or ind.

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not convinced the current political process is capable of producing an honest leader. A nobody from nowhere, plunked in the big chair, would be outraged at what they see around them, and make changes the typical jaded, corrupt politician could never achieve.

9. pogo

pogo New Member

From the NY Times, June 25 Says Casey briefed a plan. Says plan included reductions in September (i.e. prior to mid term elections.)

From the Washington Post Quotes Senator Levin as saying...well, you know what he said. However it looks like MarinJohn loses on the third item. It seems it was actually Senator Lugar, Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chair who characterised it as a "contingency plan".

And, of course We report. You decide.

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 8 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]316613[/snapback]</div>
    You are on the right track but a slight tweak is needed. The current POPULACE is incapable of producing an honest leader than can be elected. As a whole, the voting citizenry is morally bankrupt. We vote our own personal interests (more and more being money) and to hell with the society as a whole.

We have the government we deserve.

Individually, we could probably fix this, but collectively, we fall into the "I'm not sacrificing until he does first..or I wan't mine before he gets his" mentality.