1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

American car buyers get a case of amnesia

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by beldridge54, Nov 2, 2006.

1. beldridge54

beldridge54 New Member

This is only data from October, but the article makes some good points about how ignorant the general public is. :unsure:

CNN Article

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NachoPrius @ Nov 2 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]342458[/snapback]</div>
    To be fair, the gas crisis of the 70's made much more of an impression, and seemed to teach a much bigger lesson. It's one thing to have the price double overnight, it's another thing altogether to worry you won't be able to go to work because you can't find gas at all. I'm just kind of hoping the peak oil situation is more of a soft landing than a hard stop, and trying to set an example.

3. beldridge54

beldridge54 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 2 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]342478[/snapback]</div>
    It would be a softer landing if more Americans became responsible with their consumer actions. The irony gets to me when I see someone commuting in their 15 MPG, 7-passenger SUV, with only the driver in it and a bumper sticker on the back that says "Support Our Troops"...oh, but they got $5,000 off the sticker price and if they want they can get 12 MPG with ethanol. If things come to a head with Iran and they cut us off from their oil supply, our troops (in short supply) will be fighting over there for oil...and peace/anti-nukage. Be patriotic by exercising some self-discipline...your kid's soccer balls aren't that big.

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It may not be memory but the child in them that is responding.

Don't you love it when people do seemingly irrational things, not because they are stupid - they simply don't care about anyone but themselves?

5. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why I wish gas prices would go up to $4 or $5 a gallon, so people would learn and buy more efficient cars. When will people learn?

6. beldridge54

beldridge54 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uclabruins @ Nov 2 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]342605[/snapback]</div>
    After there's no equity left in their house from which to draw to pay their fuel bill.

"Sorry, Billy...dad has to gas up his SUV for commuting...that means he can't put money into your 529 college fund anymore. Be sure to study hard from here on out."

7. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is the first data I've seen that indicates US Prius sales dropped in October. The drop was 8.3%, which I assume is a 'temporary' drop in sales because the US tax rebate was cut in half October 1.

Does anyone have data that showed US Prius sales numbers for September? I wonder if they were up significantly while people tried to get the full rebate.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To the op, yep. I posted about GM sales, and more specifically a huge jump in SUV sales compared to the same period last year at http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=26055&hl=.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Nov 2 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]342616[/snapback]</div>
    To be more accurate, it was not ever a tax rebate. It's a tax credit.

Toyota's September 06 sales are at http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/10/03/023854.html. October sales are at http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/11/01/027342.html.

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uclabruins @ Nov 2 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]342605[/snapback]</div>
    Ok keep the jeannies lamp away from this guy, trying to teach the SUV owners a lesson...

Its their choice as to buy and drive what they want to, so what if the SUV only gets 17 mpg..

when the gas prices climb again the SUV owners will drive less....

Its so funny looking at $2.15 a gallon in 1999 I remember it being 0.99 a gal.

10. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Its so funny looking at $2.15 a gallon in 1999 I remember it being 0.99 a gal.

In the UK, gas is about 86p a litre. That equates to 6.24 US$ a US gallon! Yet the news keeps telling us ho much congestion is going to increase.

11. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Nov 3 2006, 05:51 AM) [snapback]343090[/snapback]</div>
    I don't wish for higher fuel prices either, I think our so-called booming economy is teetering enough now, and everything goes up when fuel goes up... I am annoyed, though, about this E85 business where something like a Tahoe that can use E85 gets a 33MPG rating for CAFE purposes. Takes away all motivation for them to even halfway try. If nothing else, GM must have world-class lobbyists.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hobbs @ Nov 3 2006, 04:00 AM) [snapback]343098[/snapback]</div>
    Yep... I still distinctly remember a trip w/my parents in 12/01 to the Los Angeles area where we saw unleaded for ~$0.99/gal!

13. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

It all comes down to the fact that the majority of American consumers don't:

1. Shop for a deal - they just buying most of their products blindly

and

2. Spend what they can afford - they carry credit card balances so they can have the newest gadgets.

and

3. Buy for what they need and not for what they want - i.e. they buy an expedition when a full size sedan might do.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The amount of huge (beyond medium sized), wasteful SUVs just sickens me. I see too many H2s, Yukons, Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions and the like being driven by people who have clearly don't need such as wasteful and dangerous vehicle (in terms of their tendency to rollover, very high weight, poor handling and braking).

The government has got to get rid of the exemption of light trucks and SUVs from the gas guzzler tax (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml#guzzler and http://suvs.about.com/od/fueleconomy/a/jf_gasguzzler.htm), raise the mileage values where people start getting hit by it and significantly raise the dollar amounts.

15. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uclabruins @ Nov 2 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]342605[/snapback]</div>
    No offense, but this is pretty ignorant. Anybody who thinks any of us will benefit from gas going to $4 or $5 a gallon needs to go take an Economics course. Talk about SUV owners only thinking of themselves and being self important...

16. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Nov 14 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]349105[/snapback]</div>
    At four bucks a gallon it would STILL be cheaper than most of the rest of the world.

Not that I want it at that price, I'm just saying...

17. momfortheenvironment

Well we had a huge warning in the 70's but as soon as we got a reprieve the adults and government completely forgot. Had we heeded then, the situation now but not be as bad.

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 14 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]349235[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not saying thats not the case, but the economics of this country and the economics of the "rest of the world" are very different. People in other countries don't RELY on cars the way we do, they live much closer to where they work, etc. If you want to see an enormous blow to the working poor and middle class in America, wish for gas prices of $4 or $5 a gallon. The people with SUVs that you all are whining about have plenty of money, they'll feel the pinch but they won't hurt for it. Its the single mom with 2 kids who makes $18k a year that it will bankrupt.

And no, saying "well its time we rely less on cars like other countries" isn't an answer to this issue. Our geography and way of life are just different.

19. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Nov 14 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]349268[/snapback]</div>
    One of the main reasons we have this way of life is that energy has been so cheap. That siuation simply can't continue for long. The quesion is whether it will be a soft landing or a crash. If we are proactive about it we have a chance to reduce the pain a lot.

My favorite plan is to raise the tax on gas (say $1-$2) and turn around to evenly distribute the money back to the consumers. If you are an average driver you will come out even. But the incentive will be there to save energy because it will save you more money.

20. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Nov 14 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]349268[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect our way of life is in for a very rude wake up call. After all, it's basically only been this "way of life" for about 50 years, it could easily change again. I'm not quite as pessimistic as this guy, but he does make some good points that are hard to refute.

http://jameshowardkunstler.typepad.com/