1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Americans Link Severe Weather To Climate Change

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by zenMachine, Apr 18, 2012.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The researchers found early on in this project, a decade ago, that for many Americans climate change was a problem distant in time and space, "a problem about polar bears and Bangladesh, but not in my state, not in my community, not for the people and places I care about," said study researcher Anthony Leiserowitz, director of the Yale Project on Climate Change Communication, referring to the public.

"What's interesting about these results is that it suggests Americans are beginning to internalize climate change, to bring it into the here and now," Leiserowitz told LiveScience. "The past two years have been filled with a seemingly endless succession of extreme weather events."

...So are more Americans now accepting scientifically backed man-made global warming? That depends on which Americans we are referring to. Leiserowitz has found that with regard to climate, there are six American publics, each with varying views, knowledge and interest in this issue. While the extreme views — the dismissive group who link conspiracy with climate change and the solid backers of the phenomenon — are staying put regardless of extreme weather, he said.

The groups in the middle are the people who pay attention to global warming but don't know much about it, using their personal experiences and what they see on national news to form an opinion. These personal and vicarious experiences of extreme weather start to accumulate in their minds. "That's what we think is starting to happen for people," Leiserowitz said. One natural disaster they might see as random; two, that's a coincidence; but three, and you're starting to see a pattern....

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...e-so-does-acceptance-of-climate-science-video

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope not a day late and a dollar short!

Icarus

3. dabize

dabize New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About time.

Maybe Americans can back off from their worship of stupid before it leads to suicide.

That's the first hopeful sign I've heard of recently in this direction........

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Typical, that Merkins would get it right for the wrong reasons.