1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Americans Not Allowed Travel To Canada

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by mojo, Feb 24, 2007.

1. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  2. nicoss

nicoss New Member

Can we hire some Canadian Border agents for our borders?

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have no problem with this.

Is the problem that it's Canada doing it to us instead of us doing it to everyone else? Isn't this what most people would want the U.S. to do?

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    OOPS! I guess this means daniel can never again go hiking in the mountains of nearby British Columbia . . . the most spectacularly beautiful country he's ever seen. :( That is, unless he plays illegal immigrant and hikes across the border. :lol: . . . but, as we all know, daniel doesn't think that is illegal. :rolleyes:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Search&...ritish+columbia
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...mp;#entry248538

Now if only we could implement that policy on our borders too . . . but of course, it would be immediately labeled a racist policy by the liberals if it were also implemented on the US/Mexico border. :rolleyes:

I wonder what Canada would do if the caught daniel, an admitted criminal, hiking across the border? :huh:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=392104

Oh, Canada . . . what are the liberals gonna do with you. :lol:

5. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Feb 24 2007, 05:37 AM) [snapback]395751[/snapback]</div>
    this post reeks of myopic and parochial insularity; clearly a mind of a little braiwashed fascist :lol:

6. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm curious if the impact to their tourism income will be significant (although it appears you can get some records cleaned up).
    My wife and I helped coordinate a skiing trip in Banff not long ago for a group who goes on annual trips. We had about 20-25 on that trip; wonder how many wouldn't have been allowed in...

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Feb 24 2007, 03:19 AM) [snapback]395744[/snapback]</div>
    I'd heard this was payback for us not allowing Canadians to enter the U.S. It does seem sort of ridiculous, but there we are.

http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/seat...missible-en.asp

Persons who are inadmissible to Canada

Members of Inadmissible Classes include those who have been convicted of MINOR OFFENCES (including shoplifting, theft, assault, dangerous driving, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of illegal substances, etc.), or of INDICTABLE CRIMINAL OFFENCES (including assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, etc.). As well, those who have been convicted of DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED (DWI) are considered Members of an Inadmissible Class. Driving while under the influence of alcohol is regarded as an extremely serious offence in Canada.

Those who have received TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS (including parking/speeding tickets, etc.) and other minor violations (i.e. littering, etc.) most likely will NOT be prohibited from entering Canada. Similarly, those who have JUVENILE CONVICTIONS (convictions for crimes committed while under age 18) most likely will NOT be prohibited from entering Canada unless they could have been tried as an adult for their offences

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's OK, because your average U.S. citizen has no idea where Canada is, anyway.

9. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 24 2007, 09:58 AM) [snapback]395773[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think that's true. I do think we kind of forget it's up there. It's like the attic to your house - you forget about it, but when you up there, you go, "Hey, look at all the cool stuff up here!". :lol:

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wait so if Obama gets elected, then he can't go to canada?

Can we get in if we invade them?

11. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Feb 24 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]395789[/snapback]</div>
    And Cheney with his 2 DUI convictions is definitely prohibited. Driving while under the influence of alcohol is regarded as an extremely serious offence in Canada.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Feb 23 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]395716[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Feb 24 2007, 02:37 AM) [snapback]395751[/snapback]</div>
    The first statement above is not quite true, and the second is wrong:

Shortly before the 9/11 attacks, I drove to Winnipeg to catch a flight to Toronto, on my way to Cuba. At the border I was asked (for the first time in many years of occasional trips to Canada) if I'd ever been arrested. I told them my entire criminal history, from my initial line-crossing (arrested but released without charges) through later line-crossings (convictions and short jail stays) to my last two criminal acts (protests at the missile silos, resulting in 6 months in federal prison for the first, and a year's probation for the lesser charges on the second).

I was delayed at the border for about two hours while the border agent made phone calls and a determination was made that (1) these could technically be considered excludable offenses because the official charges could result in jail time in Canada, but that (2) the actual acts I committed were not harmful to anyone, and that (3) my reasons for them (protesting nuclear weapons) were laudable, if not actually noble. In the end, I was issued an official document stating that I am never to be excluded from Canada for these particular offenses.

I made it to the airport in plenty of time for my flight, because I had anticipated the possibility of delays at the border, though not for this reason. And since then I have twice been asked while crossing the border if I had ever been arested. I showed them my paper, and I was waved on through without delay.

It seems the Canadians approve of Anti-nuclear protest. Or maybe they just like Americans who take a stand against our government's militarism. Regardless of the reason, I am welcome in Canada.

Sorry to disappoint you Sufferin'. (Well, no, I'm not really sorry.) But my summer's hiking in spectacularly-beautiful BC is still on.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding of the recent changes in Canadian border security is that they are mostly driven by changes in US border security. Information is much freer than it was - and people less free - so the fact that you merely look like a reasonable law-abiding citizen isn't good enough any more. You have to carry your papers, and they'd better be in order. Without getting my Canadian knickers in a knot, the US government has insisted for quite some time that the rest of the world play by its rules, so if a few US citizens have to suffer the consequences, well, gee...

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Oh, and by the way, if you don't need to travel to Canada, don't think you won't need to clear your record. Lesperance says it is just a matter of time before agreements are signed with governments in destinations like Japan, Indonesia and Europe."

So anyone with a record better look into how they need to clear it with the government of wherever they plan to travel.

At least Canada takes DUI seriuosly.

"The lesson, the attorneys say, is that if you must travel to Canada, you should apply for "a Minister's Approval of Rehabilitation" to wipe the record clear."

So, just like applying for a special visa or whatever else you need, if you plan to go to Canada and you've been arrested, you need to fill out the forms, pay whatever and do it in a timely manner before you plan to leave.

I would think the Republicans would be hailing Canada as a model we should all emulate. All praise to Canada. Safe from terrorism and not a shot fired.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    P.S. Americans need a visa to travel to Australia. If your record is clean you can get that over the internet or through your travel agent. Because of my criminal history I had to file a paper application. I gave them all the details of my crimes, and my visa came back in a fairly short time.

Actions have consequences. When I committed my crimes I accepted the consequences. (And I made no effort to conceal my crimes either!) The immediate consequences were some jail and prison time. The extended consequences were that I may have to jump through a few more hoops when I travel. I accept that.

I wish my government would understand that its actions have consequences also. So many of our problems in the world today result from our government taking ill-advised actions for short-term goals without considering the long-term consequences.

16. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 24 2007, 08:20 AM) [snapback]395812[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel, I don’t begrudge the good times you have hiking around Beautiful British Columbia . . . I’m a back packer too.

But if I were you, I think I would rethink why I still live in the United States and move to Canada while the gettin's still good. :lol:

Have you tried crossing the border lately? :huh:

Did you tell them about your new jaywalking ticket . . . or the one for spitting on the ground, or etc, etc? :lol:

Are you feeling a little bit nervous that one more little slip-up can get you banned from Canada? . . . Kind of like how two-strike criminals feel about Three Strikes Law? :unsure:

One more little thing and they may rethink your rehabilitation and deem you a career criminal.

After all, as this new law shows . . . Canada is quite progressive in their politics . . . and, as we all know, their heath care system is way better too. :rolleyes: :lol:

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Feb 24 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]395981[/snapback]</div>
    We even spell better.

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Feb 24 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]395981[/snapback]</div>
    roll your eyes all you like. six months, $$$$ [i decided i really didn't need to reveal that number], and zero answers later, i'm a bit fed up with the US version.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Feb 24 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]395986[/snapback]</div>
    The U.S. has a health care system?

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Feb 24 2007, 09:00 PM) [snapback]395993[/snapback]</div>
    Of course. It works on the same principle as the political system, the justice system, and the entertainment industry. Whoever has the most money wins.