1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Americans respond with a shrug to climate, energy crises

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by porttac, Aug 16, 2014.

1. porttac

porttac Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Americans respond with a shrug to climate, energy crises

“The American way of life is nonnegotiable”
    — President George H.W. Bush, 1992.

By Tom Giesen
    T
    he planet is warming. The climate I have loved for almost 50 years is moving north and to higher elevations. All is change. Denying the reality of global warming is futile.

Acknowledging the reality of global warming, yet failing to mitigate it, is pathological, in the sense of saying one thing but doing another. Global warming causes radical, systemic, destructive changes that persist for millennia. We have not acted to constrain warming, and our passivity is inexcusable. Our behavior is nihilistic.

Our political system is dysfunctional, beyond useless. We rely, then, on citizen activism to slow and stop the burning of fossil fuels — but citizens are mostly unengaged.

The only justification for burning more fossil fuels is to create the infrastructure for renewable energy. In 2012, renewables provided less than 5 percent of our energy.

Nature is the sole source of our sustenance, shelter, water, air and renewable energy. But nature is not always benign. Five massive extinctions in the geologic record demonstrate that life’s foothold on Earth is tenuous.

Yet, today, the vagaries of nature are not our critical problem. We are. We have no sense of just proportion. We imagine that our current standard of living defines basic necessities. We have unprecedentedly high levels of physical comfort, mobility, food, amusement, entertainment, ease of communication and travel, isolation from weather and nature, access to drugs and medical care, and much more. But our current standard of living does not define necessities; rather, it defines excess. Wretched excess.

The maintenance of this over-privileged life is possible only through the reckless, selfish burning of fossil fuels, and by heedlessly continuing our use of the atmosphere as a waste dump. Fossil fuels are a finite and rich legacy from hundreds of millions of years ago — unbelievably rich and highly portable. But burning them inexorably overheats the earth.

According to the International Energy Agency, we are past the peak of production of so-called “conventional” oil — that peak occurred before 2008. We have burned through the easiest-toproduce oil in a mere six generations; conventional oil production is now in decline at a rate of 4 percent to 8 percent per year.

We are now in the age of oil at any cost. We use hydraulic fracturing (fracking) to get oil from dense shale rock formations; we process tar-sands bitumen into oil; we lower pipe through 5,000 feet of the waters of the Gulf of Mexico and then drill through 10,000 feet or more of geologic formations; we dream of wells in the Arctic Ocean.

This is all unaffordable oil, affordable for ordinary citizens only when blended with lots of cheap production from old conventional wells. The pollution from tar sands conversion and fracked wells is horrible, and is largely unregulated (fracking is exempt from the Clean Water Act).

The price of oil, over the past 25 years, has increased 5.5 times faster than the increase in the Consumer Price Index, because oil production cannot satisfy demand — and the price would be higher yet, save for the risk of a deeper recession or depression.

We reject life without fossil fuels. We know that burning fossil fuels causes warming, but we refuse to quit burning them. Inertia reigns.

One day — much sooner than we imagine, I think — fossil fuels will be mostly unaffordable, and the well-oiled machinery of the modern economy will grind toward a halt.

That outcome is the result of our extreme passivity, and will mock beliefs that humans are rational. We have been profligate with nature’s energy bounty, wasting it on excesses, unearned luxury, and cheap junk.

Our philosophy is nihilistic — best summed-up in that common expression of total indifference: “whatever.”Tom Giesen of Eugene (tgiesen@uoregon. edu) is an adjunct instructor in the University of Oregon’s Department of Planning, Public Policy and Management.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Five massive extinctions in the geologic record demonstrate that life’s foothold on Earth is tenuous."

I would say that even though global history may record 5 events of massive extinctions, the existence and renewal of life on the planet demonstrates that lifes foothold on earth is actually incredibly robust and durable. It just might not be the same life that was there before the extinction event.

I would speculate that even if mankind "global warms" itself right out of existence, the planet and life will endure. And with the passage of time, something similar or different will come along that becomes just clever enough to destroy itself again.

austingreen likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    been pretty nice around these parts lately...

austingreen and dbcassidy like this.
  4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    People are just stupid.
    Always have been and always will be.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I vote with Electric Me on this. Species with complex body plans (like ours) have a typical duration of a million years. In a broader sense, life on Earth so far has proven unstoppable. Several of the mega extinction were really intense as far as can now be discerned. Way more than +6 oC and moving rainfall to somewhere else.

Now, boiling the ocean would probably mean the end of biology, but I only can think of one person who even thinks that is possible by rendering the atmosphere much more opaque to infrared.

In 2 billion years (more or less), solar output will much increase and that'll be it. In the meantime, expect continued Biology. Continued humans? Could take that as a goal, and talk about ways to get there.

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Shouldn't the sea level be a lot higher by now? I don't remember hearing about any real estate being lost yet.

7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I may be labeled a denier for saying this, but I live in the north, and I have worked with the environment for over 40 years, and I'm not sure I see any evidence whatsoever of the "climate moving north."

Farmers up here choose their crops based on the number of growing-degree days they require to ripen. In the 80s and 90s, those numbers went up for a few years, but they have been going down ever since. They also keep track of the day they can seed their crops and the day they get them harvested. Every year, it's becoming a greater struggle to raise a crop.

I work in the environmental field, and we take careful inventory of plant and animal species in a given area. Small variations in climate affect their populations, sometimes in dramatic ways. We're not seeing the effects of a warmer climate; quite the reverse. In the spring, there's a date when the leaves appear on the trees, That date has been generally getting later and later for the last 20 years. I realize that this is all local data, but I'm not seeing any real evidence of global warming, just a lot of rhetoric.

The shrinking Arctic ice cap is undeniable. So is the 1975-1998 warming spell. The two are undoubtedly linked, but the oceans are vast reservoirs of heat energy, and their temperatures lag behind that of air temperature by many years. Long after the warm spell is over, the oceans release their heat into colder regions, particularly the Arctic for many years afterward. The Arctic warmed dramatically throughout the late 90s and early 2000s, but that appears now to be over. Ice caps are growing dramatically, and that makes sense, as the reservoir of stored heat in the ocean is depleted.

The rise in CO2 is also undeniable, and that is often cited as "proof" of global warming. Also undeniable, is evidence from ice cores and other sources, which shows that CO2 and temperatures have fluctuated much more in the past than at present. it's also clear that the rise in CO2 doesn't precede temperature rise, it follows it. That in itself is very significant.

When I earned my science degrees, both at the undergrad and graduate levels, the scientific method was clearly understood to mean that any claim must be backed up by evidence, and that any challenge to a claim using evidence is welcomed, and even encouraged. Disagreement among scientists is considered the strength of science, as it is intended to keep everyone honest about the data, and it encourages further discussion, which leads to further knowledge. Nowhere in the scientific method is it mentioned that one could claim that the "debate is settled" and anyone who disagrees should be labeled a "denier."

As an environmental professional, I'm not saying humankind doing everything right, far from it, but if we want to protect our earth, we should be dealing with actual facts and data, not calling each other names in some sort of never-ending partisan, political battle of ideologies. That is the recipe for gridlock. That's what we have now; science is being forgotten.

mojo likes this.
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you lived in Virginia or North Carolina, you'd hear lots of discussion in the news of sea levels rising.
    We are losing real estate in coastal Virginia and Outer Banks North Carolina, but it's hard to say it's due to global warming.

In that region, shore land is sinking slowly due to loss of weight of the ice-age glaciers which bulged the shore upwards. This is compounded by the natural rise of sea levels (sea levels have been rising 8-10 inches per hundred years). So if you have a cottage on the ocean, you are looking at maybe 1-2 feet sea level rise in the next 50-100 years...that's before we add-on anything extra due to CO2 rising. You're looking at add'l 3-feet sea level rise (total 5-feet) according to the climate change activists.

This gets into the news because it potentially impacts value of investments in shore properties. Real estate companies are trying to put a number on sea level rise to expect, and of course the climate change activists are critiquing the estimates.

The US Navy bases (Norfolk etc) have a design plan which assumes a certain sea level rise, which makes sense since sea levels are rising in that area "naturally".

#8 wjtracy, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  9. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Long on discussion, short on evidence. Sea levels won't rise unless the ice caps melt. There's your answer.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Fair enough, the climate doesn't care, much less know what "Americans" are. Climate works by other means than American opinion.

Bob Wilson

11. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just stop please.
    Your lack of information is appalling.
    The ice caps ARE melting, along with every other glacier on the planet.
    Sea levels ARE rising. Changes that previously took a millennium are now happening in a decade.
    If you are going to comment on a subject, please at least read up on it a LITTLE bit.
    And from recognized scientists, not blow hard politicians.

12. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Opinions, planning, discussions etc... what part of that is evidence?

13. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a good example of the current dysfunctional state of the climate debate. If you can't refute with evidence, just call resort to name-calling. Unfortunately there are too many people involved in the movement who use your deplorable tactic.

What you call a "lack of information" is over 40 years of education and direct experience in the field.

14. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If that is true, then I can not say what conclusion it leads me to.......because it would REALLY not be nice.
    Have a good day.

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sea level should be exactly where it is from a scientific point of view ;-)

It takes a long time for sea level to rise, centuries from now we can expect at least anouther 5 meters. That means NYC and Miami either get dykes or are under water.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't wait that long for waterfront property.:cool:

austingreen likes this.