1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

America's Best Drive-In Movie Theaters

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hb06, May 25, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Remember drive-ins, where you could relax in your car and watch a movie under the stars? In the 1950s, there were more than 4,000 in the US. Only 405 remain today. Still, the odds are good that there's a drive-in not far from your home. Louisiana is the only state in the 48 contiguous states without an active drive-in theater. You can search for the drive-ins nearest you on my Web site, www.drive-ins.com."

http://www.bottomlinesecrets.com/blpnet/ar...rticle_id=39577

2. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    we have one here in AZ, which I Love going to! so much more fun than regular theaters & CHEAPER!!

3. priussoris

priussoris New Member

H2photo which do you like better the Glendale 9 or the one at Mckelips and Hayden rd. (scottsdale)

I have only been to the scottsdale one, it was ok but it was always hot I always thought it should be open in the winter there.

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know we have one about 50 miles away, and I have been wanting to go for the nestalgia.

I also thought it would be fun for a summer office get together to set up my Video Productor in the parking lot with a good HDDVD and have a movie drive in night. I aslo thought about seeing about getting a low power FM transmitter to handle the audio.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've gone to the drive-ins site as they give the movies for the one we go to.

There's been a discussion about whether to leave the Prius in Ready or not as the 12-volt battery may or may not have the power to run the radio (with the MFD off) if the theater is the type that has FM for sound.

6. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's an interesting point. Might have to have some air flow, not necessarily AC, as well as the FM radio while watching the movie plus intermissions. A new drive-in just opened here in SoCal, and some Prius owners are thinking about a drive-in meet. Would IG-On mode be sufficient for the time frame?

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't remember, IIRC there was a comment that the radio cuts out after an hour or two to protect the battery.

8. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have one of the oldest drive-in theaters in the country in our area. It is a great family place. We haven't been there in years but used to go a lot when our kids were young.

9. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

I've always wanted to go to one! Now I'm going to have to!

10. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ May 26 2007, 07:02 AM) [snapback]450320[/snapback]</div>
    You're talking about Shankweiler's, right? Right down the road from Valley Pizza on 309? My parents used to take me & my sister there when we were kids. Great fun.

11. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ May 26 2007, 08:11 AM) [snapback]450334[/snapback]</div>
    Yes that's the one. It still is a great family place.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    drive-ins are great. two pics for price of one. but i live in WA state and our "local" drive is heading out to the Olympic Peninsula and frankly, unless its warm enough to sit outside in a lawn chair for at least the first movie, i kinda hate going and that happens rarely around here even in the summer. actually its usually fine for me, sometimes a hoody is needed but my SO cant stand anything below 70º

modern cars, Prius included, simply are not made to watch movies in. the best time we had was when we packed a few blankets and a half dozen pillows and opened the back up and watched that way. problem is, gotta sit in the back, tried it in the row i like (the 2nd or third) and got too many complaints despite not being anywhere near the tallest in the front area (they do try to make taller vehicles stay in the back.