1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amp and mini-subwoofer - power from small rear battery ok?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ~sparky~, Jun 11, 2005.

1. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

i plan to install an amp (Alpine MRP-F240, 50W RMS x4 at 2ohms) and a powered subwoofer (Kenwood KSC-SW1, 75W RMS) in the 'hidden' compartment in the hatch area... anyone see a problem with powering both of these off of the smaller (motorcycle-sized) rear battery in the corner?

... or would it be smarter to tap the battery in the front?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks. :)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We don't have a battery at the front, at least, not that I know off. That small battery is our 12V.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You should have no problems powering the items you listed. I just finished my install of my 10" subwoofer and 2 amps. 1 amp is over 300Watts RMS to the sub and the other amp is about 180Watts RMS to the front speakers. I've had the volume cranked and had it running for an hour or two consistently with no battery problems.

The main problem i face is having the amps in the bin above the spare tire and not being able to put the cover on since the amps overheat and go into protection mode. I just leave the cover off for now if i'm going to be aimlessly cruising around for more than 30 min.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

(300+180)/12=40A. Battery and DC/DC converter should adequately handle that load, as long as you don't try to power your ice chest using an inverter at the same time.

5. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    I pull 22 AMPS (peak) out of that little battery to power a 100 watt RF output ham radio transmitter.

You really can ignore most of those meaningless wattage ratings for car audio systems. They often mean less than nothing and are only for marketing purposes.

Oh, Presto, your neighbors and every other driver within 100 yards of your car called... turn down the volume.