1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AMP Power question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 925PriusGuy, Jun 16, 2005.

1. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm getting ready to install my Kenwood KSC-SW1 subwoofer this weekend. I can't figure out what the best way is to hook into the battery for power. I'm assuming that I need a post connector or is there another way?

Anyone already install one an can share install tips?

I plan on hooking into the rear speakers for the audio, the ACC gray wire on the back of the head unit for the power up signal and ground near the small battery on a 10 mm bolt.

TIA for any info...

2. HYACK

HYACK New Member

I'd give Crutchfield a call and tell them you're interested in installing the Kenwood product and ask for any additional accessory cables/wires needed accordingly?

3. HYACK

HYACK New Member

on another note, besides battery connectors (sorry couldn't help), would be nice if you could somehow hook up that passive radiator spin on the 6.5" Kenwood and transfer air pressure generated from sub-woof play back into the Prius regen system! ;)

4. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

Did our install about 2 weeks ago. I simply used a 0/1 guage power wire with a ring terminal to the power terminal on the ACC battery. Simply disconnect the battery (+ & -), undo the bolt on the + terminal and slip your ring terminal onto the bolt. Then tighten the thing back up and your set.

I did the same thing with the groudn wire. Unbolted the chasis bolt (where the battery grounds to the chasis) and using a 0/1 Guage ground wire with a ring terminal.

For me, both 0/1 guage wires connect to distribution blocks in the luggae compartment.

Out of curiosity, is there a remote power on coming out of the head unit? I've got the basic stereo (AM package) and din't think there would be one, so I tapped into the 12v plug in the center consolve to work as a remote turn on.

--GD

5. bobc

bobc New Member

I second GD's method. That's the same way I did it.

GD, there is a remote coming out of the head unit. It's the gray wire...

6. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobc\";p=\"99320)</div>
    Thanks. I'll have to re-run my remote power on to that wire the next time I pull apart my dash.

--GD

7. 925PriusGuy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks bobc and GD.

You both confirmed what I was planning on doing. I appreciate your help. :multi:

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Actually, it isn't a remote coming out of the head unit, but rather ACC going into the head unit. About all that there is available.

9. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"99427)</div>
    So the gray wire referenced here is just an ACC wire going into the head unit? If that's the case then there really isn't any benefit to moving my current ACC wire (tapping the plug in the center console) right? Or am I missing something?

Thanks
    --GD

11. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScubaX\";p=\"99444)</div>
    What's the digital Readout for? Amperage, Voltage?

The block does look cooler then mine (Old style Monster fuse block). Is this what you have in your car?

--GD

12. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeekyDragon\";p=\"99488)</div>
    What's the digital Readout for? Amperage, Voltage?

The block does look cooler then mine (Old style Monster fuse block). Is this what you have in your car?

--GD[/b][/quote]

I don't have one I just found it browsing for distribution blocks. It says it is a fuse status indicator and led digital voltage display.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeekyDragon\";p=\"99487)</div>
    So the gray wire referenced here is just an ACC wire going into the head unit? If that's the case then there really isn't any benefit to moving my current ACC wire (tapping the plug in the center console) right? Or am I missing something?

Thanks
    --GD
    [/b][/quote]

You would be achieving same goal, as you probably will not be drawing any apreciable current from the remote wire, and therefore won't be taking away from the outlet's capacity.

14. 925PriusGuy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just as a follow-up. My sub woofer is installed and it went fairly well with one hitch...there are two gray wires on the wiring harness. One is for the antenna? (it was a silver wire) and the other gray is the desired ACC wire. Guess which one I tried first? :cussing:

Other than that, the install was pretty easy. Thanks everyone for the guidance. I also unplugged the center speaker and added B-Quiet sound deadening material to the doors. Overall, the sound is better.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That other gray wire DOES have a remote on function, but only if you are on FM, maybe AM.

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Wait, that's the orange wire. I am only seeing one gray wire to the head unit.