1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amp up USB port power (no pun, well maybe)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Frank Perkins, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If I run Google Maps on my iPhone 6 while connected to the USB port in the armrest storage area, it slowly drains the battery. I tried buying a 2.4 amp usb charger port and that works a little better, but not great. Does anyone know how to increase the power of the USB port? I'm afraid that when I eventually upgrade to my next phone (iphone 7?) it will continue to under deliver a charge.

On my Honda Pilot (2016) I can run google maps, stream music and it will still charge and stay at 100% while driving.

Thanks.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wish I had a good answer. :D

A PC USB charger delivers 2.5 Watts of power (5 volts at 500 mA). An iPhone charger delivers 5 Watts (5 volts at 1000 mA). A Retina iPad mini charger delivers 10 watts(5.1 volts at 2100 mA).
    - Choose the Right Charger and Power Your Gadgets Properly | WIRED

I don't have the USB output specs of the Prius USB port. I do know if you put a 12v to USB adapter in the power port, you likely are getting more voltage to charge your device as you should be getting the full 12v battery behind it.

KEEP IN MIND that any 12v to USB adapter you buy can restrict the maximum voltage/wattage you get to the USB port for charging.

For my motorcycle, I got this to recharge my iPhone when on the road:

As you can see, the specs are 12v input, 2.1a / 5v output ... Pretty much what an iPad charger puts out. It's a bit overkill, but I saw no point in going to a slightly cheaper cable adapter that converted to less power. If anything it lets me charge my phone faster so I can "top off" while stopped someplace to eat rather than leave it plugged up for several hours.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Same phone. Ditto problem. Set on low power mode while using google apps. Charges fine. No mod. Costs zero.

BTW. It's not under delivering a charge. DW has iPhone 6s Plus without issue. My 6 battery is dying. One of the symptoms especially when using high drain apps like GPS or 3D games, the battery when old is unable to tell the phone what the correct charge is and will rapidly ramp down. First time it happened on my phone, I thought same as you. But when I plugged in at home, instantly jumped to 40%.

#3 mmmodem, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016