1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amp Upgrade Choice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Winston, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Found this amp on Ebay for a pretty good price.

Kenwood KAC-X4R. It has a built in 5 band parametric equalizer. I think it should fit under the passenger seat, because it is the same size as the JL Audio 300/4 amp that Banjoman put under his front seat.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainmen...lifiers/KAC-X4R

I figure with that and my new analyzer toy I should be able to tune my system pretty well.

http://priuschat.com/Real-Time-Analyzer-RT...eap-t40861.html

I will sum the front speaker sources on my JBL "premium" sound system using Banjomans resistor netwoork.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3423&st=120

I think this is a fairly cheap and flexible solution for upgrading the JBL "premium" sound system.

Cost:

Kenwood amp: $245 with tax and shipping $290
    Radio shack parts for speaker summing: $10
    Misc Wiring supplies: $20.

Total cost for improved amp with equalization in Prius = $320.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are many ways to look at the paper specs on an amp but that signal to noise ratio looks pretty bad on the link I looked at. :(

My point is be careful you do not degrade sound quality with inferior electronics by plaving too much emphasis on gadgets like EQs and such.

In comparison the JL Audio 300/4 you mentioned has a 108.5 S/N ratio. :)

3. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    F8,

A couple things. First, for the Kenwood unit the S/N ratio is probably affected by the built in equalizer. If you choose to get a separate equalizer it will degrade the sound too.

Secondly, the method that JL audio uses to measure the S/N ration is different than Kenwood.

Kenwood: 78dBA (Ref: 1 Watt into 4ohm)
    JL Audio: 108.5 dB below rated power

See the difference? JL Audio is measuring it at full power just to inflate their specs. Kenwood is measuring it the "standard" way. Who knows what the difference is when measured under the same conditions. I am sure that the Kenwood unit will sound good. It is in their High End "Excelon" brand so it is not some piece of junk.

As far as the EQ "gadget", it is actually necessary to have some sort of equalization for when adding an amp to the stock Prius stereo. If you had read the many other posts on the stereo upgrades, and/or Tommorrows excellent page on the stereo performance you would know that just such a "gadget" is necessary.

Oh, BTW thanks pointing out those issues that can be confusing to so many people. ;)

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

5. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No I never listened to them. You are right about that. Then again it is a car and I am trying to maintain some kind of budget. I don't necessarily expect it to be as good as JL Audio, but it is not like some cheap Legacy amp. I am trying to balance price and performance. From my first looks on this site, in order to upgrade the amp I was looking at;

JL Audio summing device: $200
    JL Audio Cleansweep: $300
    JL Audio AmpL $300
    Total: $800 which was not what I was willing to spend.

I am now looking at a $300 amp delivered and $10 in resistors. I am not getting the quality of the JL Audio amp, nor the automatic equalization of the the Cleansweep. However, I am getting a new RTA toy and a good amp with some control over the equalization. For a total of $360. Do I expect it to sound as good as the JL Audio setup? No. Do I expect is to sound better than the stock system? Yes. I expect it to sound much better than the stock system. I also plan to have a lot of fun taking measure ments and tuning the system. I also have installed the silk tweeters from a pair of ADS component speakers that I purchased. That alone made a huge difference.

Also, I don't consider a $600 list/$300 street price to be an "extremely low" price.

BTW, can you tell me if I can hook the high power speaker connections directly to the Kenwood amp? It has gain adjustments, but I read the manual online at the Kenwood site, and it did not say whether it would accept speaker level inputs or not.

If one really wanted a top notch system, I think Banjoman has quite a setup with the Audessey equalizer and the JL Audio amp. Again, there is quite a cost difference between his system and mine.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Nov 16 2007, 09:07 AM) [snapback]540610[/snapback]</div>
    I cannot argue price requirements as those are personal and different for every person. Your post explains your position well so I think you are headed in the right direct. My point was to make others aware that gadgets do not always equal better sound. True, equalization can help out a system, especially when combined with factory pieces but does it always make it better or just different? That is the joke that always got tossed about at IASCA competitions back in the day. lol The other point was that price plays a big part in the quality of sound obtained from an audio piece, the other huge part is what it's installed in and how its tuned. :lol:

I don't know about your particular amp choice off the top of my head because I just went back to working at the shop and they didn't carry Kenwood when I worked there last. Most of the Japanese amps do take high level in but I would rather ask someone with more know-how to see if there is an issue with tapping wires after the JBL amp vs prior. As seen in various articles, there are differences in freq. output to the front and rear speakers.

I work on Monday and I'll see what I can dig up for ya. :)