1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amplifier for Garmin GPS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mrblaise, Jun 29, 2008.

1. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was dissatisfied with the volume for the Bluetooth on my Garmin 660, so I decided to add an amplifier. I hardwired the amplifier to the fuse box and installed it in the upper part of the glovebox, I then attached the speaker below the steering wheel column as I don't like things on the dash or in my field of view and added a ground loop isolator to quell the engine hum (No, the speaker doesn't touch me or get in the way at all). The microphone is on the column with the wires tucked underneath the weather stripping. Everything works great now. The volume for both the GPS and the Bluetooth is greatly enhanced. I can hear the directions and wireless phone calls when music is playing with no problem whatsoever. I also have controls for bass and treble through the amplifier. Here are some photos....

Attached Files:

2. cicily

cicily New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I realize this post is a little old and you may not get back to me, but have you also hardwired your GPS so that you don't have to have the cord on the outside of the dash but rather tap into the power from the windows via the fuse box internally? my husband did this on my 03 focus as well as his 08 taco and we were looking into doing it in the prius but since this car is pretty much a space ship we're a little aprehensive, suggestions?

3. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't hardwire the GPS, but I did hardwire the amplifier. You shouldn't have a hard time at all tapping into the fuses. It was a piece of cake. The way I have the GPS positioned, you don't see any wires on the dash at all. You can see this by looking at my profile photos. Some people think the positioning is bad, but I really like it where it is. I really don't like the look of things sitting on the dash at all. It ruins the clean lines of the car.