1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AMT: No Home Charging Station Tax Credit for You

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iplug, Jan 29, 2014.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    December 31, 2013 was the last day to to install a home electric vehicle charging station in time to claim the "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit". This tax credit was worth the smaller of 30% of the cost or $1,000 - labor and materials were included.

I bought and installed a Level 2 charging station in December, earlier than I would have otherwise planned, so I could use this credit. I figured it would be more than a year before prices would drop enough on their own to equal the value of this credit.

Today I started working on TurboTax, so was wondering why the software wouldn't give me this credit. Then I went back and did some reading on other sites and found that those who were hit with the Alternative Minimum Tax were not eligible.

Not complaining that I'm fortunate enough to confront this bracket, but it's a little strange because the electric/plug-in vehicle credit is not subject to the AMT and the AMT is going to catch up with almost everyone soon enough.

2. brewcrew9

brewcrew9 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my credit didn't work either via Turbo Tax because it says it had to put in service in 2012 only

3. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think that is a typo in one of the help sections. Another help section correctly identifies that the service year is 2013. However, I did find in this latter help section: "if you pay alternative minimum tax (AMT) you will not be able to claim this credit".

4. brewcrew9

brewcrew9 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks I will look into that. I can't file with turbo tax until about 2-7 anyways because the alternative car credit can't be electronicly filed until until then. I guess the IRS isn't ready for that form yet....so much for trying to get done early