1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amtrak Autotrain

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jb72, Jul 9, 2010.

1. jb72

jb72 Junior Member

Model:
    III
    I am taking the Amtrak autotrain in September. I drive up to the train and leave the keys in the car so that the attendant can drive the car onto the train. Then the next morning the attendant drives the car off the train (hopefully, the keys are still in the car). All told the keys remain in the car for about 20+ hours and the car is not running during that time.
    My question is, will leaving the keys in a car over night be harmful, i.e. draining the battery, etc?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem.

3. Holbrook22

Holbrook22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife and I took the AutoTrain with our new Gen III last October and didn't encounter a problem.
    At the time I was quite worried about the battery because there had been a number of alarming posts about leaving the key in the car for any length of time.
    I was told to make sure all accessories were turned off before turning the car over to the Amtrak employees.
    We had no problem once we and the car reached Sanford, FL.

4. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, what a cool concept!

They should be offering that service between SF and LA here in CA. Fact is, ALL passenger trains should offer 'Autotrain', it really makes sense in this day and age. You're lucky to hve that available to you and I'm sure it'll work out fine. Hve fun!

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We don't have an Autotrain. What we have is a car ferry. A coal fired, steam powered car ferry. The concept is the same, including leaving your keys with the attendant. My wife and I went to bed in our stateroom. The next morning the ferry was part way across the lake, with our Prius safely tucked inside.

Tom