1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An Australian reporting in from Japan.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Currawong, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Currawong

Currawong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone from Fukuoka, Japan. Last year I upgraded from a 660cc "yellow plate" car to a Prius S, since the number of miles I've been driving for work has increased to around 120. It took quite a bit of getting used to compared to an ordinary car, however, since the speed limits here are much lower than back in Australia and driving through the suburbs is constantly interrupted by people pulling in and out of side roads, cylists, scooters and other chaos, I've been able to get close to the official figure for maximum mileage quite easily.

I test drove a Honda Fit (Jazz) hybrid a couple of times, but, despite the Prius being bigger than I needed, the technology is just that much better.

I just spent a couple of hours last night reading up on hypermiling and winter driving tips. I figured out how the car works pretty well on my own, so most were obvious, but stuffing tubing in the grill is certainly novel.

I had a look at the Aqua (Prius C) yesterday too. Neat little car, if a bit cramped in the back.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    G'day, welcome aboard! What are you doing in Japan? Enjoy the ride.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome aboard. Sounds like that yellow plate car was a [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_car]Kei car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame].

I'd heard of and seen Kei cars before, but didn't know about the yellow plates.

4. Currawong

Currawong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Presently I'm teaching Engrish (an old joke), but other than that my specialty is IT.

cwerdna: That's right, a Kei car. They are tax-free for the first three years and get discounts on the highways. Thankfully, the Prius also gets discounts.

Living down south, we don't get much snow. However, I did have a look in the hardware store for some of that black tubing people are using to partially block their grills in winter, but couldn't find any. Very odd considering how huge the store is.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Heh... I'm sure you know about Engrish.com then. :D

I've visited Japan 4x before. I thought about temporarily teaching English in Japan before but decided against it. Seems like a huge pay cut vs. what I was doing before.

6. Currawong

Currawong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, all the great, high-paying jobs are disappearing. I've stuck it out, but it's not my only source of income, so I don't have to depend on it. If it weren't for Japan being a nice, safe place to bring up kids, I'm not sure I'd stay.

Before I forget, a snap of one of my 100 mgp efforts:
    [​IMG]

7. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From another Aussie, :welcome:

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member