1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An eco car shouldn't be suffocating its passengers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stephen 11, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Stephen 11

Stephen 11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been having problems off and on with my Prius 2 in regards to a nasty smell that combines burning almond oil with coal. It first happened around ten thousand miles. The dealer determined that the catalytic converter had gotten clogged, due to high sulfur fuels that most gas companies are using. Being under warranty they went ahead and replace the converter and since then I have been Faithfully using QT brand gasoline. Lately even with QT, and now around 65000 miles I am having that horiffic smell once again and it's getting very frustrating. The dealer also had told me when the car was around ten thousand miles that it would be helpful to sometimes blow out the catalytic converter by accelerating at high speeds upon occasion on the freeways. This of course felt counterintuitive for an ecological car. But I have followed this faithfully. Now yesterday, I took a trip into East Texas, and all of a sudden about 50 miles into my ride on half a tank of gas, a horrible smell of burning fuel and Coal filed the cabin. It pestered me for all the rest of the way both to and from my destination for a total of about 200 miles. I am very frustrated and can use some suggestions. The smell was strong enough that when I shut the car off in the garage I could tell it had been emanating from the right front quadrant of the car. And after my being out and around for 5 or 10 minutes, my wife could still smell that burning fuel order on my clothes. Thank you for your suggestions.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fortunately, or unfortunately (depending on your point of view) we've never heard of this before. what is qt gasoline? it might be time to visit a better dealership, or qualified mechanic.

one thing i can say is that the right front quadrant is where the prius fires seem to start. i wouldn't park it in the garage.

#2 bisco, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Time to clean and check the cabin filter, might be a nest of disintegrating rodents shorting something out.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's definitely something wrong there Stephen, I don't recall anyone here ever reporting that type of smell with the Prius. In fact my Prius (2005 model now at 265000 km) has consistently given me the lowest perceived levels of cabin fuel/fumes smell of any car that I've ever owned!

I know you said that the smell is coming from the front, but can you just double check that it isn't coming from the battery cooling vent near the back seat. This is the only place that people here commonly report an obnoxious smell in the Prius. For some reason it only effects some Priuses (so I've never even smelt it), but apparently the rubber vent hoses on the HV battery sometimes soften and perish and this apparently creates a horrible smell.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I had never heard of QT gas.

"QuikTrip gasoline has been recognized and approved as a Top Tier detergent gasoline by seven of the world's top automakers, including General Motors, Toyota, BMW, Honda, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi. To learn more about QuikTrip gasoline and our Top Tier rating, please visit Top Tier Gasoline" -
    QuikTrip Corporation > Gasoline

While there are 0 within a hundred miles of me, there are 124 within a hundred miles of Stephen.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see two separate issues here: (1) what is the source of the smell; and (2) how are the fumes getting into the cabin?

How is your climate control set? Are you recirculating the interior air, or getting all fresh air from outside? The later should slightly pressurize the car interior with cleaner air from an intake ahead of fume sources, greatly reducing fumes coming in through cabin leaks.

uart likes this.
  7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Agreed. I don't think that a clogged cat should cause fumes in the cabin!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    o/p? your turn.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm starting to think of a little black humour, hopefully not true...

bisco likes this.
  10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Lol Mendel. I think that any Prius fume problems would have to be a whole lot worse than they actually are if they were to account for the number of op's that we never hear back from. :)

Though maybe we could make an "in group" joke about it for future threads where the op seems to go missing. Something along the lines of "there's another one asphyxiated". :ROFLMAO:

#10 uart, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    m_ma_belle, dolj, valde3 and 3 others like this.