1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An "ELE" for small businesses including bars and restauants...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Georgina Rudkus, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    An "ELE" is also known as an extinction level event.

That's what's happening to small businesses now all over the United States and even around the world.

With COVID 19, how life has changed!

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think not....at least for flyover country.

I report to a central office every morning but I'm responsible for 7 locations covering several counties...and I'm seeing small businesses do what small businesses do....which is adjust to local changes.
    Our local restaurants are doing take-out and offering delivery.
    Local pharmacies are delivering.
    My neighbor is having a roof put on.
    Our local gym has adjusted their equipment and is having to refuse service to the gym rats from Planet Fitness and Anytime - who have shut down.

This will be like a hurricane-sized storm - or what I call "forced urban renewal."

It's going to knock down some structures and trees that were already past their 'use-by' date.

Anybody who has ever been in a war zone, or a region that's suffered from a major natural disaster or period of civil unrest KNOWS that the first things that crop up like flowers and seedlings after a wildfire WILL BE.....small businesses.
    They have the agility and the local knowledge to rapidly adjust to local changes.

It's the most basic of human things.
    A combination of greed and optimism. ;)

frodoz737 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think so. thankful we sold our small business 6 years ago. no way we could have survived this, or come back after the dust settled

Raytheeagle and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  4. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to our local family-owned pizza joint yesterday to pick up 2 pies and they said that they were doing OK....and expected to keep doing so.
    They had pushed all of the tables to the rear of the store and were doing take-out only.

I suspect that they will be OK for the very reason that they've been open for three years now.....

Good Pizza.
    Great service.

5. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The pizza places seem to be doing a lot better than some of the other takeout places. They were talking about that on the local news yesterday.

6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our outside techs are alternating between all of the local fooderies.

I suspect that there will be a more drastic drop-off for the brass and glass places who depend on alky sales, and we also have to remember that for right now the hoarders are still stuffing their garages and dens with butt wipe, hand sanitizer, and bread.

The real down-range effect of this pandemic will occur when paychecks stop being created and the newly unemployed will be much more incentivized to crank open a can of beans rather than dialing Domino's.
    Expect hotels not to be booked.
    The Mouse House may lose money for the first time ever this summer.
    Oil is threatening to stumble below $15 a barrel.
    Airlines are hauling cargo instead of peeps, which sounds OK until you relaize they have to dead-head back to the distro hubs.

Like the bug itself.....the 'suck' is something that people will be talking about a lot BEFORE it really happens.
    We've been posting about the pending pandemic since mid January......and it hasn't peaked yet.... ;)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'ma gov allows take out booze.'

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Necessity is the mother of invention. and it's do or die. Whatever can keep you afloat for the foreseeable future will make or break. Here's just one article I found that talks about what some are doing.

Restaurants Revamp Menus, Operations to Stay in Business During Pandemic | Voice of America - English

I'm continuing to patronize some of my favorite establishments that are still open for business, and heavily tipping their workers in appreciation. I want them to survive, and remember that I tried to help them. (y)

AzWxGuy, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    boston has a restaurant recovery fund for donations

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A friend in Amherst tells me a committee of her synagogue has raised a lot of money to use for paying local restaurants to supply local shelters.

Prodigyplace likes this.