1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An encounter with a Hummer2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusist, Jan 3, 2005.

1. priusist

priusist New Member

I took my wife and two kids on a main street in my town (Fremont, CA). I used to be able to go at 35 MPH street limit with engine shutdown all the way on the 2 mile stretch. Yes, there were about 10 traffic lights and I was skillfully able to attempt the spec - 60 city MPG on my 05 Prius.

It happened when I noticed a gold/yellow monstrous Hummer 2 right behind taking up the entire rear mirror. It followed all the way on the street and stop/go. I felt fortunate that I did not carry a plate like "h8suv" or the HSD (hybrid synergy drive) medal was too small to be noticed. It looked so huge from the mirror that I thought it might easily run over my car. Actually, the driver on the Hummer 2 seemed to tolerate (respect?) my need to be in the EV mode (99.9 MPG) because it kept staying behind when I had to carefully accelerate without waking up the engine.

I found one common thing between us that both of us were just fresh from the dealerships and waiting for the license plates.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, those things are beasts, huh?

Just for kicks, in a grocery store parking lot, I pulled into a parking space directly facing a Hummer. Though it looked funny when you saw it from a distance from the side, from my driver's seat it was almost scary.

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well.. the prius has a quicker 0-60 time. i'm not suprised the hummer didn't follow you if they wanted to save some gas too

4. prius04

prius04 New Member

So you got your vehicles around the same time....

Congratulations!!

I'd be very curious about when those two vehicles end up in the scrap yard. I suspect those dates will be VERY different.

I'm also curious about how many years before the resale value of your Prius becomes higher than the resale value for that Hummer. 5? 8?

5. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

He just wanted to get close to you hoping if some of your greatness might rub onto him. :mrgreen:

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If given the convenient option I always choose to park next to the largest SUV in the parking lot!

7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think the resale value of the prius is already higher in some cases... I read reports of people who wanted to trade in their H2 because it ate up too much gas, but when they wanted to trade it in, they were quoted 24k for it. I'm sure if you decided to trade in say.. a package 6 prius it would be higher than that.

Evan: don't you ever worry that the huge SUV is going to scratch your baby? AFter seeing so many SUV's parking techniques... i'd be afraid

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

there were 2 H2's for sale in the paper on the weekend and they were both asking $55,000 for them about $30,000 less than retail these were 2003 models and there was a 2001 Prius for $16,500, new it was $29,900. Hummer is about 40% for 2 model years and the Prius is about 45% for 4 model years. These are in Canadian dollars.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow! nice

roughly the same mileage?

wait, they can't be... :oops:

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"61290)</div>
    Not me! The bigger they are the more space they take. The more likely carelessness or a stiff wind will throw a door edge into my car. I haven't parked next to a Hummer though I imagine their door handle would be well up on the door glass of a Prius.

11. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A problem I have parking next to SUVs, minivans or trucks is you can't see the aisle when backing out of the space, and there's always some jerk going 40 mph in the parking lot who won't stop for you. I don't know how many times I've almost been hit by these freaks.

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusist\";p=\"61208)</div>
    Actually, he was just down to his last 3 gallons of fuel, and he figured if he stayed at slow speeds, he could reach the nearest gas station 9 miles away without running empty. :mrgreen:

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius Maximus\";p=\"61316)</div>
    [align=center:e2a4da75cd]:iagree [/align:e2a4da75cd]
    My wife and I have just gotten in the habit of one of us standing behind our car and telling the driver when it's clear.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"61392)</div>
    Probably drafting to squeak out those last few feet he needed. :)

Hmm, there is a gas saver! Have the Hummer tailgate you, then the air pressure off that big front will push your Prius forward! ;-)

15. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I always get a grin out of H2s (aka "Hummer Lite"). Similar body style to the original hummer, but just on a normal truck chassis, instead of the cool raised independant suspension on the first hummer.

For people that can't afford a real hummer :)

Dave

16. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveG\";p=\"61585)</div>
    And apparently aren't bright enough to know the difference. :)

17. priusist

priusist New Member

Now I'm curious about what Hummer fans talks about Prii.

18. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  19. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

The hummer sucks. There is a car that is much better at going off road. Its called the Landrover Discovery, but don't get me wrong. I'm on your side, the green side, not the dark side. :mrgreen:

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok guys, you all are free thinking individuals and can do and say what you want where and when you want....but the only non-commercial individual to ever be banned from PriusChat was a troll from a GM forum where one of our members really stirred some embers.

If you want to go stir up trouble remember they can find you and find PriusChat and stir up trouble here too.

That makes for work for me and the other moderators, unhappy visitors, and nothing positive for the Prius community.

So PLEASE, if you go there be very cautious and not stir bad feelings.