1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

an entirely new way of looking at hybrids

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, Apr 18, 2005.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you've been reading my logs, you'd know about the deception some have been attempting by being vague, simply never giving you all the facts to draw your own conclusion with. So I created this new webpage to counter that...

http://john1701a.com/prius/hybrid-ratings.htm

You'll see that it takes a totally different approach to considering what hybrids offer, pointing out abilities people may simply not be aware of.

On that webpage, you'll find detail for each of the following categories:

• Take a look at that detail and let me know what you think.

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Thanks, John. Nice work. I appreciate your help in 'rating' hybrids. I, too, think there is way too much confusion about what a hybrid is, as well as what it does (or doesn't do!). I've tried to explain to people why hybrids are not all the same and most understand the Chevy Silverado truck thing (not a hybrid) vs. the Prius. Not all get the fact that Honda's tech is different than Toyota's. I'll keep trying. My best line so far is: "No one's licensing the Honda technology. Many are licensing Toyota's. That has to mean something".

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John I have a question. On a very few occasions I have observed, stealth ie electric only according to the MFD at Highway speeds 60-70 mph. Does that mean the Prius gets a point for that? I certainly can not do it on a regular basis, and I have often felt that it occurs on a very slight down hill that I can not see with my eyes but the car can detect a lower requirement for energy use.
    Added later : On further thought could you rate out several of the current hybrids and just for yucks add the Chevy (ie 0) I am most interested in how you rate the Prius and the points for the various "electric only" categories as you might expect by my question above. Clearly in the Prius the faster you go the less often you see electric only but it does appear to occur.

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

How about some points for Atkinson or diesel engines. Anything that is better efficiency in a hybrid than regular otto engine should count for more than a hybrid with just a standard efficiency engine. (Presumably diesels would lose what they gain here in the emissions rating.)

Also for the future add points for electric range on flat roads at steady 40 mph, so future hybrids with bigger batteries get more points. (Not even considering the plug in issue.)

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

How about 3 (or more) points for the first hybrid to allow heating to be done electrically? (I.e., the ICE wouldn't have to be on to heat the cabin?)

Unless I'm badly mistaken, the Prius (and I suspect everyone) hasn't got this feature. (Not that I'm complaining -- I'm very impressed that full electrical cooling is done.)

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas\";p=\"82218)</div>
    Unfortunately, that's really just an enhanced version of fuel-cutoff found in traditional vehicles... though Prius does technically provide the ability, as you can observe after driving down the side of a mountain (which super-charges the battery).

To qualify, it really needs to be repeatable under normal driving conditions on a routine basis for the typical owner.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"82282)</div>
    I was hoping someone would bring up that topic... since I wasn't sure how points could be fairly awarded.

There is a lot of waste heat generated from the engine, not taking advantage of that would actual warrant subtracting a point. So full electric isn't as valuable as it would seem to be.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Surely he meant electric heat only as needed. One would still make full use of engine heat whenever it is available.

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher\";p=\"82346)</div>
    Yes -- apologies for not being clear about that.

Or specifically, heating the cabin without having to run the ICE specifically for that purpose. (If there's engine heat there, use it -- but don't run the engine for the sole reason of heating the car.)

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The electric heat is pretty anemic to the point of useless if you ask me, and I am in a mild climate!