1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An honest dealer -- NOT overselling service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberprius, May 22, 2008.

1. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After reading lots of posts about dealerships trying to sell lots of unneeded service, I decided to take a shot at my dealership where I got my car -- Lithia Toyota in Springfield, Oregon....Yes, the SAME Springfield where Matt Groening grew up and got the name for his SIMPSON'S TV SHOW!!

So, I got a letter in the mail telling me my Prius was due for service. It only has about 2700 miles or so, but they estimated close to 5000.

I called and asked what they would service. Told me immediately that the Prius did not need a lot of service. Simple oil change was all, unless I was driving it off cliffs or something. $29.95. They also suggested that it was an easy DIY project, which I already knew, had already done at 1K myself.

So, long story short, amazing honesty. If I DO ever need service, I may be tempted....Oh, and I do plan to HAVE the oil changed at 5K, even tho. I did it at 1K....I am just hoping to "talk" my husband Ken into doing it....even though that probably means greasy handprints all over the interior of the engine compartment and on the bumper.....:fear:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Kristi,

Well, I hope that you and your Prius (and the mice) someday will be featured on The Simpsons!

$30 is the going price for dealer oil changes.

I guess that you changed the oil at 1K miles to remove any metal debris left from the manufacturing process? If you can do oil changes better than your husband, then it makes sense for you to continue doing them - learning curve, division of labor according to talent and interest, etc.

Or get him some latex gloves (at Costco or any drugstore) and encourage frequent changes!

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. $100 for an oil change? That is, at least, twice as much as I've ever heard anyone paying for an oil change, even at a dealer.

5. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    that includes of course the free 21 point inspection

ive seen 5,000 service for prius going for 95-100

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am from the Orange County, CA planet. $30 is a reasonable price for an engine oil change using bulk mineral oil since the materials (oil, filter, gasket) probably cost the dealer $5.

Tell me which of your local dealers charges $100, so I can make sure to avoid them should I need service in Silicon Valley.

7. AltonGrey

AltonGrey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Champion Toyota in Austin gives free oil changes for life.

Sounds like a good deal till you think about the wait with everyone else that bought a car from them...ever.

They more than make up for it in the fees for tire rotations and 15,000, 30,000, ect. services. :)

8. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  9. cyberprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The dealer letter mentioned that a free XX-point safety check is performed during ALL services.

Of course, I am used to that at ALL Toyota dealers I have ever seen. AFAIK, they all do it to make an excuse for "added" costs. Maybe the Springfield dealership would have come back with something like I need to change the mice exercise wheel...or add a bag of cracked corn to the cabin filter, I don't know.

But just the fact that they suggested I could do it myself was a big thing to me. But if they were doing it, it was $29.95 for the oil and filter and labor.

Considering it will cost me some $15 in parts to do it myself, it's not a HORRIBLE charge. 4 quarts at $2 each = $8. Plus $5 for filter = $13. Plus paper towels, latex gloves, etc..... $2 = $15.

k/

10. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i hope we dont start debating the whole 3.5, 3.9 or 4.0 quart topic now!!!

theres a lot of DIY directions, they say the prius is really easy to change the oil,
    the filter is really easy to get at

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if you decide to DIY in the future, you can save a few more dollars from the cited amount above, plus you get a sense of accomplishment and have a chance to look around the engine compartment for signs of mice.

For example, Kragens is a discount auto parts store in California. They usually run ads in the Sunday paper offering a case of Castrol GTX or Pennzoil mineral oil for $0.99/quart, net of rebate. (Typically you will pay $1.59/quart at the store, then send in the paperwork for the $7.20 rebate check that arrives about one month after you apply for it.) Do your local discount auto parts stores offer similar sales?

You can buy the correct Toyota oil filter for $3.29 each (plus shipping) if you buy a case of 10. While you are at it, buy a few engine and cabin air filters for $13/$15 each, as you seem to need a new cabin air filter frequently... You appear to be in a rural area, so your engine air filter might benefit from 15K mile changes.
    Newsletter Spring 2006

12. cyberprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, I don't really need that now, either. However, I will say that I think one of my very first posts here regarded the VERY VERY confusing owner's manual and the 3.879673276921 quarts required by the car.

I spent many minutes trying to figure out how many quarts that equaled when I changed my oil at 1,000 miles and was pretty proud of myself when I came up with the figure. Of course, since then everybody told me I should have just done 3.5 Go figure. :D:D:D:D:D

13. Rotorhead

Rotorhead New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the 5000 mile service is any indication, I'm going to have a long relationship with my dealer's service dept. The first oil change is free so all I paid was $15 for tire rotation. The 21-point inspection is always free. And it gets better. They also wash your car! While all of this is going on, you kick back in a comfortable chair in the waiting room. The waiting room is stocked with current magazines and there are fresh from the oven cookies and good coffee.

I lived in N. California for 25 years and can vouch for the outrageous prices people out there pay. Seems like ALL services for my Acura started at $500. Car service there should be listed as a sex crime because every time you visit the dealer, you get raped.:mad:

Rotorhead

14. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    And by "free 21 point inspection" you mean "$70 21 point inspection", right?

There's no way that an oil change should cost $100. It's been a couple of years since I've paid somebody to change my oil for me, but I've never paid more than $25.

15. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah $90-$100 is what most dealerships charge for the oil change + tire rotation + vehicle inspection, and i wonder how in depth they check those 21 points. like
    you know they dont actually do a load test on the battery, if they did i imagine
    they would of picked up on it, instead of me having to set an appointment and
    beg them to check the 12v battery cells

16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. So, you didn't pay $100 for the oil change and tire rotation. You paid $100 for the "5000 mile service." The point is that most dealers will try to sell you the XXXX mile service for some outrageous price, but if you just ask for an oil change and tire rotation, the price comes down a lot. Basically, just ask for the services in the book that came with your car and you should only get moderately ripped off ($40-$50) instead of grandly ripped off (i.e. $100+).

cyberprius's point was that her dealership didn't even try to sell her their high-markup XXXX mile service; an excellent dealer, I'd say.

17. DBusch

DBusch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My Dealer offers free lifetime services (excluding major services), and free loaner cars. All recc. oil changes are free - tire rotations cost $20.00. I bought the car at msrp and waited two weeks. Just got it Friday 5/23/08. A great deal for sure - FYI Newburgh Toyota - New Windsor NY 2 hours north of Manhattan.
    David:D

18. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For all the "DIY" folks . where do you actually dispose the used oil? Its always been my biggest concern which keeps me from changing my oil.

As far as price goes, i can confirm that dealers in the bay area charge close to 90 for the 5K mile service (oil change, so called "21 point" inspection, "fluid top offs" and tire rotation).

19. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I take mine to Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts (the places where I buy the oil and filters). They'll take the oil and dispose of it for free. I don't think you actually have to buy anything from them in order for them to provide that service.

20. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    california must be a different planet :p

$29.95 here.