1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An increase in the popularity of quality and efficiency?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jerrymildred, Mar 27, 2017.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems like around here, we're seeing more and more Prii of various generations. This morning, on the way to work, I was waiting at a typically interminable Tampa traffic light. Two left turn lanes and three through lanes. In front of my PiP was a blue Gen 3 hatchback. To its right (in the left through lane) was a white Gen 3 hatchback. To the right of that one and one car ahead was a yellow Prius c. Three cars behind me in the left through lane was a red Prius v. For bonus points, there was a Nissan Leaf in the left left turn lane one car in front of the blue Prius in front of me. Who knows how many more were hidden in the throng? :eek:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Especially downtown here, a lot of Prius cabs, we're sometimes surrounded with 'em. In the burbs not so much: if I do a visual opinion poll, SUV's/CUV's are over 50%. The remainder a mix of sedans, hatchbacks, minivans and pickups.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is in the 'burbs. I think the vast majority around here are small and large SUVs and pickup trucks. There are a TON of Corollas and Camrys. Lots of Hyundais. But you almost can't swing a dead cat around your head without hitting a Prius anymore.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our Shiba seems very attuned to HSD cars, I kid you not. And it's not just appearance. I've seen him straining hard at the leash when there's a Camry hybrid, going slow in a parking lot. Same thing for Lexus CT200. A Prius cab was stopped in the cul-de-sac and he was up to it in a flash, paws on the door for a meet-and-greet. He spent his puppyhood downtown, maybe a lot of time in Prius cabs, and has some vestige memories, radiowaves? (n)

Stephen King could have a field day with it.

5. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I'm seeing a lot more Gen 3's on the road around here, but maybe I'm just noticing them more because I have one. They're definitely starting to take off with taxis locally - probably as used UK and Japanese imports become very good value around 4-5 years old - the taxis I see are mainly from around 2011. Still haven't seen another PIP here, but the last time I checked there are only three others in the country :)

I think attitudes towards diesels are very slowly changing around here - they became the majority after the motor tax in Ireland (which can be €120 to €2300 per year for a car) changed to be based on CO2 in 2008, but even regardless of local pollution and health concerns I think a lot of modern diesel owners have been burned by costly repairs - EGR valves, particulate filters and dual mass flywheels are fairly common failures and are not cheap!

Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I see quite a few Gen2's around here...followed by Gen 3. Seems like quite a few people are buying used Gen2's for their kids to drive, etc...

It would be interesting if some of those 'horsepower' gearheads would become interested in efficiency vs. power. Or become interested in both - like I am. They are not mutually exclusive hobbies like many people seem to assume!

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Socalju

Socalju New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm seeing them all over the place now too. Soon as I got mine I started checking prices to see if they went up or down. Same car more miles cost 1-4K more which makes me think demand is up. Within days of having the car a neighbor pulled in with a Lexus ct200, saying "hey I got a hybrid just like yours." Had a couple of coworkers and friends ask why I got a Prius, and the conversation always goes the same. Me: I'm getting 100mpg. Them: I need to get one of those!

jerrymildred likes this.