1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An odd contraption.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jul 8, 2010.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As I've mentioned elsewhere, I like to take long walks on the Centennial Trail, a paved trail that runs, IIRC, from downtown Spokane to Coeur d'Alene. At a guess, it's about ten feet wide and is shared by walkers, joggers, cyclists, skateboarders, rollerbladers, and what-have-you.

Yesterday, I think it was, I saw an odd contraption:

It had three wheels, one in front and two in back, and bars connecting the front wheel to each of the back wheels. There was an upright bar at the front with handlebars at the top. There was no seat, but two foot platforms on the bars connecting the front wheel with the other two wheels. The rider stood on those two platforms and swung himself vigorously back and forth, causing the contraption to trace a sine wave as it moved forward. The swinging motion of his body was reminiscent of that of a speed skater.

I could not tell if he was actively steering the curved path or if the mechanics of the contraption caused the swerving without his actually steering.

I could not tell what physical device or principle of mechanics transferred the motion of his body into forward momentum. Whether alternating his weight between the two platforms operated a mechanism like the pedals of a bicycle, or whether there was a more subtle principle at work.

He moved slower than the hard-core cyclists on the trail, but faster than the casual joggers, though perhaps a fast runner could have kept up with him.

I felt no urge to try out such a contraption, but I am very curious about what it is and how it functions. When he passed me (twice in the course of my walk) there was nobody else in sight, so I don't know how hard or easy it would be for him to alter his sinusoidal path to avoid hitting anyone when the path became crowded, as can happen briefly when people moving different speeds and different directions on different modes of transportation pass each other.

1 person likes this.
  2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Photos?

If you had a smartphone that was equipped with a camera, you would have been able to quickly snap a photo of the contraption and everyone who wanted to, could weigh in about the contraption....

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If I had had a camera or a smartphone in my pocket, I'd have been unable to get it out in time to snap a picture.

Yep. That looks like it! Thanks, Evan. A hundred bucks sure seems cheap. I wonder about the build quality at that price.

I just watched their mini video showing the scissor movement. The guy I saw was not scissoring. He was making more of a skating movement. And that scissors movement will be extremely hard to maintain without a lot of practice, since it uses muscles most of us do not use normally. The basic shape of this Tango is the same as that of the contraption I saw. But I wonder if the Tango might be a cheap knock-off of something better.

Okay, I googled the Tango to look for similar contraptions, and found this, which I think is closer to what I saw.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you notice they sell a hybrid electric version!
    Trikke Tech, Inc. - Tribred

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. I just watched their how-to-ride video with safety warnings here, and I guess I will not be getting one of them. I'll stick with jogging, walking, and stationary cycling.

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You couldn't flag them down and then get a picture (I know you don't have a camera-equipped cellphone, but they probably would have told you who manufactured the 'device')? People are generally glad to talk about their 'widgets'. I had a similar experience on a trail that runs along the S.F. bay from San Mateo to around Redwood City - there was an electric bike that was being ridden on the trail. I flagged down the operator and asked them where they had purchased it. Turns out they purchased the bike at Best Buy in San Carlos (about 2.5 miles from where they were on the trail).

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would imagine the hybrid would have the same drawback as an electric-assist bicycle: weight. If you run out of charge, you've got a very heavy machine to move under your own power. And you don't even have the cargo capacity of a bicycle.

I see these as an exercise machine more than serious transportation. It looks like a great workout, but inferior to a bicycle as a means of getting somewhere.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I am exercising I stop for nothing. When I see other people exercising I give them the same courtesy. I wanted to ask the guy about it, but he was moving along at a pretty good clip and I didn't want to ask him to stop. I did shout "Interesting contraption" and he shouted back something that I did not catch, and then he was gone.

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :thumb: Congrats, Daniel, on using "sinusoidal" in a PC FHOP posting! :p

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :confused: Is there something special about "sinusoidal"? I was just describing the path the contraption was taking. :eek:

13. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One of my former coworkers had something like this for exercise. She liked it.