1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An update on my 2008 Prius and announcing a new addition to our hybrid family

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vcvtrading, Feb 20, 2013.

1. vcvtrading

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It's been a few months since I reported on our 2008 Prius. The topic at the time was synthetic oil vs conventional and 100% gasoline vs the 10% ethanol blend. I can report today, after another approx 30k miles on the synthetic oil, we consistently maintain 2 to 3 miles better MPG. I use Mobile 1 extended life oil and mobile one filter. I change the oil at 8k, even thou it is a 15k oil. Now, regarding the gas vs corn debate. As I stated in an earlier conversation, 100% gas is hard to find here in GA. About every other month we make a trip to AL to see my father. While there I fill up with 100% gas. We average 52 to 53 MPGs on a tank just about every time, compared to 48 to 51 with the corn blend. The Prius is just about to turn 130k miles. Runs and drives like the day we bought it. Both headlights have been replaced, and other than recommended service, nothing else has been done to it. At 120k I put on a new set of Michelin Defender tires. They are 80k tires and ride very good.

Announcing a new addition to the family: Yesterday I purchased a 2007 Camry Hybrid. It has 67k miles and was a one owner. Leather, and all options, minus Nav and sunroof. The Carfax report validated one owner, no wrecks and all dealership service performed. The purchase price was $14,229 (after tax and fees). Ironically I purchased it from a Honda Dealer. I found it online and drove over to see it. The salesman didn't even know it was on the lot (very large dealer). Salesman went out to lot to pull it around and came back stating the battery must be dead b/c the dash lights came on, but not the engine. After a good laugh, I educated him on how a 'real' hybrid operates. They were motivated to sell evidently, the asking price was a good bit higher than what I finally paid. Overall a good buy I feel. We were in the market for another vehicle. My 15 year old daughter is about ready to drive and I needed a fuel efficient car to make a couple of long trips per month. I did the math.. The choice was between a newer base model Camry or Camry Hybrid. Using an average of $3.25 per gallon of gas, the payback on the Hybrid was only 7 months compared to the base model 4 cylinder of the same year. The math was based on 25k per year on the Hybrid Camry (as the Camry would become our primary car). So now we have the Prius and Camry (along with a Tahoe and Suburban... Now one of them must go!). BTW, the Hybrid Camry is getting 40.2 MPGs on its first tank. Of course we play the game with it, driving very easy. My goal is to maintain at least 35MPGs, as that is the number I used for the payback math.

Sorry for the long post folks... Just wanted to tell my story to fellow Hybrids who appreciate.

Vcv

Agent J likes this.