1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Analyze this - Mr Scangauge says:

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by tedjohnson, Sep 1, 2010.

1. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So while doing a few nice long coasts, I tried to ascertain the D vs N facts. Going along an even decline at 45-65 mph with gas pedal feathered to eliminate regen. I see RPM=992, HP=4.8. Then quickly shifting to N gives me RPM=1100, HP= 2.6. Huh ??? Is this real or a problem with how Scangauge reads HP. IF the data is real then coasting in N should use less gas than the equivalent feathered coast in D. 5 tries at this all produce the same result. If true this says that the software guys protected the MG! better in N than in D, but why the drop in HP used - that makes no sense. Ted

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It sounds plausible. In both cases the ICE should be running, consuming a small amount of gas to keep turning. The control setpoints are probably somewhat different, since there is no strong reason they need to be identical. In D there is probably a small amount of power being sent to the wheels or the HV battery, accounting for the increase in HP. Scangauge isn't perfect, and probably misses this subtle distinction.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    my post here is really unhelpful, but it seems as though i read somewhere not that long ago that neutral actually uses more gas than coasting while in gear. your tests sort of proved that by having lower RPMs while in gear. i can't speak to the HP issue, but I'm pretty sure the lower the RPMs, the less gas used.

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI,
    There are discussions about gallons/hour number at greenhybrid.com.
    It seems Scangauge has some limitations.
    Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.