1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ancient Manuscript Revealed..!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Interesting read, maybe the next Indiana Jones movie can somehow pivot around this concept... :ph34r:

National Geographic unveils ancient manuscript on relationship between Jesus and Judas
    By Randolph E. Schmid, Associated Press Writer | April 6, 2006

WASHINGTON --For 2,000 years Judas has been reviled for betraying Jesus. Now a newly translated ancient document seeks to tell his side of the story.

The "Gospel of Judas" tells a far different tale from the four gospels in the New Testament. It portrays Judas as a favored disciple who was given special knowledge by Jesus -- and who turned him in at Jesus' request.

"You will be cursed by the other generations -- and you will come to rule over them," Jesus tells Judas in the document made public Thursday.

The text, one of several ancient documents found in the Egyptian desert in 1970, was preserved and translated by a team of scholars. It was made public in an English translation by the National Geographic Society.

Religious and lay readers alike will debate the meaning and truth of the manuscript.

But it does show the diversity of beliefs in early Christianity, said Marvin Meyer, professor of Bible studies at Chapman University in Orange, Calif.

The text, in the Coptic language, was dated to about the year 300 and is a copy of an earlier Greek version.

A "Gospel of Judas" was first mentioned around A.D. 180 by Bishop Irenaeus of Lyon, in what is now France. The bishop denounced the manuscript as heresy because it differed from mainstream Christianity. The actual text had been thought lost until this discovery.

Elaine Pagels, a professor of religion at Princeton University, said, "The people who loved, circulated and wrote down these gospels did not think they were heretics."

Added Rev. Donald Senior, president of the Catholic Theological Union of Chicago: "Let a vigorous debate on the significance of this fascinating ancient text begin."

Senior expressed doubt that the new gospel will rival the New Testament, but he allowed that opinions are likely to vary.

Craig Evans, a professor at Acadia Divinity College in Nova Scotia, Canada, said New Testament explanations for Judas' betrayal range from money to the influence of Satan.

"Perhaps more now can be said," he commented. The document "implies that Judas only did what Jesus wanted him to do."

Christianity in the ancient world was much more diverse than it is now, with a number of gospels circulating in addition to the four that were finally collected into the New Testament, noted Bart Ehrman, chairman of religious studies at the University of North Carolina.

Eventually, one point of view prevailed and the others were declared heresy, he said, including the Gnostics who believed that salvation depended on secret knowledge that Jesus imparted, particularly to Judas.

The newly translated document's text begins: "The secret account of the revelation that Jesus spoke in conversation with Judas Iscariot."

In a key passage Jesus tells Judas, "You will exceed all of them. For you will sacrifice the man that clothes me."

This indicates that Judas would help liberate the spiritual self by helping Jesus get rid of his physical flesh, the scholars said.

"Step away from the others and I shall tell you the mysteries of the kingdom," Jesus says to Judas, singling him out for special status. "Look, you have been told everything. Lift up your eyes and look at the cloud and the light within it and the stars surrounding it. The star that leads the way is your star."

The text ends with Judas turning Jesus over to the high priests and does not include any mention of the crucifixion or resurrection.

National Geographic said the author believed that Judas Iscariot alone understood the true significance of Jesus' teachings. The author of the text is not named in the writings.

Discovered in 1970, the papyrus was kept in a safety deposit box for several years and began to deteriorate before conservators restored it. More than 1,000 pieces had to be reassembled.

The material will be donated to the Coptic museum in Cairo, Egypt, so it can be available to all scholars said Ted Waitt of the Waitt Institute for Historical Discovery, which helped finance the restoration.

In addition to radio carbon dating, the manuscript was also authenticated through ink analysis, multispectral imaging, content and linguistic style and handwriting style, National Geographic reported.

© Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

2. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 6 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]235914[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yeh, that sounds SO much like Jesus....NOT!
    Where to people come up with this crap?? :rolleyes:

3. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Judas was actually possessed by Satan himself. This should surprise no one. Believe what you will, at your own peril.......

4. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Apr 6 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]236016[/snapback]</div>

Uh... the crap where all the reglious stories come from? :lol:

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Apr 6 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]236058[/snapback]</div>
    Is this the same crap that originated Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?

6. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Apr 6 2006, 07:13 PM) [snapback]236022[/snapback]</div>
    Whoa! Where did you get this one from?

Then by implication, it wasn't really his fault...

:ph34r:

7. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 6 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]236142[/snapback]</div>
    It's a passage in Mark I believe. "After the sop, satan entered into him".

Yep, Judas can truly say...the devil made me do it. However, it is also in the scriptures that Satan cannot enter into a person possessing the Holy Spirit. Satan, get thee behind me.

8. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Apr 6 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]236079[/snapback]</div>
    Santa Claus... you know he is real, right? :eek:
    I am not talking about the American Marketing crap of a Santa Claus.

Saint Nicholas is the origin of the Marketed Santa Claus. In fact, he has been so venerated that the Vatican forbid Christians from celebrating him.... because the Pope was scared of his fame.

Now the Easter Bunny... its an American Marketing myth... like the GM Hybrid. :lol:

9. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Seems like that scene between Judas and Jesus in The Last Temptation of Christ was prophetic.

10. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Some of you religious nuts will believe about anything. Your need to follow and believe in something is strong. But if you didn't belong to one organized religion, you'd belong to another.....whatever cult it is.

One this is for sure, if anything (like this) is dug up to dispute what has been taught, you can be sure that the nutters will be out stirring up trouble - sometimes violence.

That is what religion is all abuot - violence under the veil of peace.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What will be interesting to see here is whether these newly uncovered scriptures will be deemed 'holy' or condemned to be apocropha by those who decide such things...devinely guided of course.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    this kind of stuff always amuses me because it freaks out the super-religious people. anything that contradicts what you've been told is EVIL and should be instantly rejected on the account of you not wanting to go to hell.

and what about the study recently published saying that conditions were possible for Jesus to have walked on a floating mass of ice on the sea of galilee? the guy who published that has gotten death threats.

oh the irony. they might as well make it official and change the commandment to "thou shalt not kill, except in my name" since that's what's been going on for ages. institutionalized religion has been manipulated by man for so long that any original intent has been warped and twisted beyond recognition.

13. Mystery Squid

All I have to say is, don't blame religion for everything.

If it wasn't religion, it would be some other concept.

People have this need to belong, feel like they're part of something, feel like they are better than another group, feel they must overcome/fight this or that, THAT is the core issue, NOT religion...

:ph34r:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 7 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]236275[/snapback]</div>
    Could you be a little MORE sarcastic?

:lol:

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 7 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]236292[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, you set a high standard, I'm but a novice.

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing that amuses me is the people who are complete literalists when it comes to the Bible. Researchers have found that there are many (many) examples of the Bible being mis-transcribed, especially in the early days. Bascially, early on, the transcriptions were done by (fairly) uneducated people who were able to write and transcribe but, most of the time, didn't understand the substance of what they were writing.

I heard an interview with a former Jesuit recently who had basically decided that he didn't believe that the Bible was the word of God anymore. His argument was very simple: First, assume God exists. If God exists and he passed on his word in the form of the Bible, why wouldn't he then "guide the hand" of the people that were transcribing the Bible to make sure that the Bible continued to represent his word?

Interesting stuff. . .

16. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 7 2006, 08:27 AM) [snapback]236320[/snapback]</div>
    Well.... conservative regilious folks try to get it both ways [well, make it every way]. When someone complains that the Bible could be wrong, they say God had a hand in making the Bible without one's interruptation. Hey, God would let his believers die of horrible deaths daily and not have his hand to help, and they think that is God's intent.

If that is the God they believe in, he sounds more like a fame hungry God than a loving God. At least that is not the God I believe in.

17. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 7 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]236320[/snapback]</div>
    One of the most idiotic things, is when people attempt to apply some sort of if/then logic arguments to a supernatural being... :lol: Generally, that's where I tune out, unless they caveat otherwise somewhere...

18. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 6 2006, 12:12 PM) [snapback]235914[/snapback]</div>
    This certainly adds interesting subtext to the Bible.

You could look at this as a suppliment to the original text that changes the "character" of Judas. This kinda makes Judas a hero of sorts. Keep in mind that in the religious world suicide is payable with eternal damnation. The other gospels report that after Judas betrayed Jesus, he hung himself. If the private conversation actually happened between the two, the other disciples wouldn't know about this and therefore their portrayal of Judas would have been that of the villian after the fact.

Now with that being said, Judas knew that his betrayal was at the request of Jesus making it even more painful to deal with emotionally--hence the suicide becomes almost a self-punishment and a ticket to hell for the betrayal. This makes Judas a bit of a martyr in his own right with the ultimate reward being eternal life at the end of days.

This is just my take on this...I'm drawing off years of parochial school and having this beat into my skull for 10 years. ;)

19. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was raised as a catholic and saw the hypocrisy of the righteous every Sunday. The belief that if you confess your sins makes you better than evryone else never set well with me.

In a thousand years from now would someone look at Hitler and believe that he was worshipped? How would stories of the Bush Reign read in 2000 years?

I tend to think of the bible as another story book. I live my life independent of strict guidelines but with my own need to be loved and appreciated for myself as my approach to the world.

20. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Apr 7 2006, 11:14 AM) [snapback]236407[/snapback]</div>
    Guess I am not alone in this world after all for thinking like this. :D