1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

And.....another Prius Accident.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by adgo82, Nov 17, 2006.

1. adgo82

adgo82 New Member

Hey peeps, How is everyone doing. I am doing fine after my little incident. Some guy decided that he was too late for work so he was flying 80mph+ I think. He didn't see cars merging into the highway and was about to rear end someone when he decided to cut over to the left lane and hit me. Ive never experience a car accident before but I have to say I felt pretty safe during the seconds we were both just "gliding" to a stop. No air bags deployed. The only warning lights that came on where the VSC and the Tire pressure warning after the tire went byebye. It was only me in the car and i didn't even get a bruise from the seatbelt. We were both lucky. The guy behind me got out and told me that he can be a witness since he had seen everything. Police arrived, gave the other guy a ticket for improper lane change and after that it was nothing but waiting for the tow trucks. The funny thing about this is that the other guy was driving a Honda Accord Hybrid hehe. It was a clash of the hybrids :blink: . Good thing no one was hurt and that his insurance company has accepted full liability. Now I am stuck with a Mitsushi Lancelot. Oh boy do I miss the Prius. Things that I am used to doing that I keep doing on this car are:
    1) Reaching for the door handle and expecting the doors to open.
    2) Kick all under the dashboard looking for the E-Brake.
    3) Try to glide
    4) Think that trunk door is wide open when I look at the rear view mirror.
    5) try to control the radio from the stearing wheel
    :D
    Geico called me and told me that the estimate was like $4800. Does that sound right for the damages in the pic?
    Anyways it was an 06 with 8000 miles :mellow:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek: OUCH..!! That hurts..!!

Glad you're unhurt and that you had a "good citizen" witness who came forward to support your innocence. So many people simply wouldn't trouble to help. The repair estimate may be a bit low from what I could tell - excellent collection of photos. Hope you can specify Toyota qualified repairs and parts.

3. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Nov 17 2006, 06:55 PM) [snapback]351202[/snapback]</div>
    Aww i am so sorry about your baby:(
    the repairs do seem a bit low though :eek:
    hopefully the frame wasnt bent, etc..
    glad your safe!

4. OleMissPrius

OleMissPrius New Member

I'm really glad it wasn't worse! So glad to know you are okay. Don't worry about the estimate - it's just that - an estimate of damages. As they start repairing the car if they find more damage (which is usual) they'll just write a supplement. All you should care about is that it looks good when you pick it up from the shop.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It does seem like mere body damage, but OMP is correct: they might find more when they get in.

If you got the name and address of the "good citizen" please do me a favor and send them a thank you note for taking time out of their day. It seems to me that not enough good people get thanked these days.

It's good that you're okay and I'm sad that you have to live without your baby for a while.

6. smackoww

smackoww Junior Member

weird that the tire pressure warning went off.
    i mean look at that tire. its only flat on the bottom! :p
    jokes aside, glad youre ok

7. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW: The damage to your front right corner looks pretty similar to what happened to my car several months back (at the time - it was only one month old!).

Your dent (if it can be called that) looks about as deep as mine was, and in my case resulted in damage to a couple of internal things (part of the AC, and.. if memory serves... a resonator?). Of course all the damaged panels, the front right headlight, and the hood needed to be replaced. Everything was repaired, internal and external, to my satisfaction. (Although it did take three attempts for them to get the hood on straight, apparently that's non-trivial).

In the end, my repairs came to $2800 or so. You appear to have also lost a tire, and suffered damage to additional panels the entire length of the of the car, so that estimate is probably just about right.

The good news, it'll be fine, good as new (and don't settle for anything less!). The bad news - my guess - 4 weeks repair time.

-Ken

8. adgo82

adgo82 New Member

UPDATE!!

Ok. I got a check in the mail today for the amount of the estimate which actualy was $4100. All pairts will be original toyota parts. As soon as I get the estimate in the mail I will post all the parts that will be replaced.
    10 more days!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

9. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So, which hybrid won?

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get the smacked rim replaced, too; it's probably bent..
    _H*

11. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 21 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]352880[/snapback]</div>
    how come you have two differently styled rims on your car?

12. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Nov 22 2006, 07:00 AM) [snapback]352952[/snapback]</div>
    Thats what the rim looks like if you take off the decorative trim.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Alloyed rims don't bend, they crack. The rim is probably structurally sound, but probably not cosmetically. The wheel, axle and alignment should definitely be checked though.

14. adgo82

adgo82 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Nov 21 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]352842[/snapback]</div>
    I think it was a tie. We were both towed from the "ring".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyconrad @ Nov 22 2006, 08:11 AM) [snapback]352953[/snapback]</div>
    Yes in deed. I couldnt find the trim. It probably kept rolling for miles up the highway, damn hybrid trims!! They dont even need gas to keep going.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Nov 22 2006, 08:37 AM) [snapback]352956[/snapback]</div>
    Yup the rim cracked. Thats getting replaced.