1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

And now for something completely different

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Jun 22, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32550

I'd love to get the customer service call on this one on tape. Gives new meaning to the knowledge that Windows computers are unsafe.

2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Lol!

I commend you for the divergence, unfortunately though I think emotions are going to run very high from now on :(

3. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jun 22 2006, 11:14 AM) [snapback]275274[/snapback]</div>
    Not just Dells, dude :ph34r: . Here's where it happened with an Apple as well http://wcco.com/consumer/local_story_148150249.html They tell you not to use them for an extended period of time on a surface that blocks airflow.

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Could that have been the Mission Impossible guy's laptop, after the "this message will self destruct" warning?

Or perhaps the owner was logged onto PriusChat, and got caught up in a flame war? :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jun 22 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]275336[/snapback]</div>
    Speaking of which, whatever happended to the "Dell dude"? I heard that he was arrested for drugs.

5. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 22 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]275342[/snapback]</div>
    Here's what I ran across... http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/delldude.asp

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    whoa! that looks kinda like the (dell) laptop i just replaced.

that thing got really freakin' hot after just 20 minutes of use. so i guess if it's the same one, i'm not too surprised.

my new laptop (also dell) stays *much* cooler to the touch even after being on for 8+ hours at work.

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jun 22 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]275368[/snapback]</div>
    That explains it! I know I'm probably in the minority, but I thought the guy was funny.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 22 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]275369[/snapback]</div>
    I had a couple of Toshibas that would get pretty hot. One of them, a Portege, always used to give me warning signals that it was overheating and I would have to shut it down.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The old Compacs were known to do this.

A friend of mine was actually saw a Compac computer's CD rom drive burst into flames.

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not the computer guys and gals it's the Li-ion battery. [attachmentid=3889]

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In the laptops maybe.

But the computer my friend observed was a desktop. And it was literally burning a CD when it had it's meltdown.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And as the first article cited notes, lots of laptops are in use on airplanes all the time. How long before a laptop explodes and burns in an airplane? Moral: Always get an aisle seat!

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've got one of these Dells on my lap right now.

Let me just say I'm quite glad that there are no LiIon batteries in the Prius.

Nate

13. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny you should mention it, but yesterday I got myself a Targus Notebook Chill Matâ„¢. [​IMG] I bought it at CompUSA for the MSRP, but they are available online for less...my instant gratification bug kicked in... for my relatively new Dell Latitude D820, since I often find myself using it lying in bed. I got tired of carrying around flat chair cushions, and a chillow pillow cooler because my thighs have been frying (or is that my fries have been thighing?). Anyway, now I can just add "laptop exploding on my lap" to my list of things to lose sleep over...The chillow works great for hot pillows, not so great for laptop computers. The Chill Mat works great for my laptop computer. It is very lightweight and the fans plug into a usb port, and there is an inline on/off switch. Very cool, pun only kinda intentional...

14. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 23 2006, 01:13 AM) [snapback]275688[/snapback]</div>
    Uhuh. So what exactly inside of the desktop can combust and "explode?" Other than a few tiny capacitors, there's nothing inside of a computer that offers that kind of "fuel."

*EDIT* My vision is still blury this morning. I can imagine a CD-ROM drive shooting a few flames; more materials in a tighter space. Airflow is everything. Computers run hot, so good airflow design will help prevent damage to components. Once the chassis temperature goes above 110 degrees-F., components inside the computer can become damaged. If the components inside the chassis become hot enough and combust (which is well above 110), I suppose a fire could occur. The components would more than likely stop working first, however.

15. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jun 22 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]275274[/snapback]</div>
    Ya reckon the call might have been as funny as this one?

16. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 25 2006, 10:52 AM) [snapback]276498[/snapback]</div>
    My Firefox browser doesn't like whatever is inside of that link - it crashes upon opening.

17. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 23 2006, 02:13 AM) [snapback]275688[/snapback]</div>
    It's not uncommon for desktops to just up and die or catch fire if they're more than a few years old. A lot of times dust will build up in the case to the point where airflow is severely restricted. So it's a good idea to buy a can of compressed air and shoot it inside the vents every so often, or even better, to open the computer and blow the dust out!

18. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jun 25 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]276503[/snapback]</div>
    A. Try THIS ONE.
    B. Try either without Firefox...
    C. It's a plot by AOL (oops...my fingers just executed a freudian slip by typing SOL...) to erase the tape from the entire world of bits and bytes...

My husband and son like Firefox and then bitch and moan when certain sites do not behave for them. Lotsa sites don't work right with Netscape either. The funny thing about my husband's personal use of Firefox is that he is the programmer of a market research tool that he created almost 25 years ago, and a few years ago, he added web survey capabilities, so he is VERY familiar with browser issues--like Netscape not liking certain pantone colors and irritating stuff like that. Anyway, when I used to use his laptop and he had the default browser set to firefox, I invariably ended up switching back to IE because of too many sites crashing or not loading or being otherwise uselss...anyway, if this link doesn't work for you, just google vincent ferrari aol cancel and you will be bound to find something that'll work--it's all over the place out there.

19. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 25 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]276446[/snapback]</div>
    Laptops on planes are the least of our worries!
    http://www.snakesonaplane.com/

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jun 25 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]276490[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't the next generation Prius supposed to have Li-ion batteries?

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jun 25 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]276503[/snapback]</div>
    I accessed it with Firefox, no problem. Wow!!! I'd always heard AOL was bad, but this takes the cake!