1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

And now from something completely different

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Feb 16, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I got the following from a coworker via email. They want you to forward it to as many people as possible but I thought 'why not post it, instead?'

What would you do? You make the choice! Don't look for a punch line; There isn't one! Read it anyway. My question to all of you is: Would you have made the same choice?

At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning disabled children, the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated staff, he offered a question:

"When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the natural order of things in my son?"

The audience was stilled by the query.

The father continued. "I believe, that when a child like Shay, physically and mentally handicapped comes into the world, an opportunity to realize true human nature presents itself, and it comes, in the way other people treat that child.†Then he told the following story:

Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were playing baseball. Shay asked,†Do you think they'll let me play?" Shay's father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play, it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.

Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked if Shay could play, not expecting much. The boy looked around for guidance and said, "We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth inning."

Shay struggled over to the team's bench put on a team shirt with a broad smile and his Father had a small tear in his eye and warmth in his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted. In the bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be next at bat.

At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat. Everyone knew that a hit was all but impossible 'cause Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly, much less connect with the ball.

However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing the other team putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least be able to make contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay. As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball right back to the pitcher.

The game would now be over, but the pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been out and that would have been the end of the game.

Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the head of the first baseman, out of reach of all team mates. Everyone from the stands and both teams started yelling, "Shay, run to first! Run to first!" Never in his life had Shay ever ran that far but made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline, wide-eyed and startled.

Everyone yelled, "Run to second, run to second!"
    Catching his breath, Shay awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to second base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had the ball, the smallest guy on their team, who had a chance to be the hero for his team for the first time. He could have thrown the ball to the second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's intentions and he too intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him circled the bases toward home.

All were screaming, "Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay"

Shay reached third base, the opposing shortstop ran to help him and turned him in the direction of third base, and shouted, "Run to third! Shay, run to third" As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams and those watching were on their feet were screaming, "Shay, run home! Shay ran to home, stepped on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the "grand slam" and won the game for his team.

That day, said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face, the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity into this world.

Shay didn't make it to another summer and died that winter, having never forgotten being the hero and making his Father so happy and coming home and seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!

AND, NOW A LITTLE FOOTNOTE TO THIS STORY: We all send thousands of jokes through the e-mail without a second thought, but when it comes to sending messages about life choices, people think twice about sharing. The crude, vulgar, and often obscene pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion about decency is too often suppressed in our schools and workplaces.

If you're thinking about forwarding this message, chances are that you're probably sorting out the people on your address list that aren't the "appropriate" ones to receive this type of message. Well, the person who sent you this believes that we all can make a difference. We all have thousands of opportunities every single day to help realize the "natural order of things." So many seemingly trivial interactions between two people present us with a choice: Do we pass along a little spark of love and humanity or do we pass up that opportunity to brighten the day of those with us the least able, and leave the world a little bit colder in the process?

A wise man once said every society is judged by how it treats it's least fortunate amongst them.

You now have two choices:
    1. Delete
    2. Forward
    May your day, be a Shay Day, sunny today tomorrow & always

2. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I work with physically & mentally challenged kids every day. Most of them have very low self esteem. The so called mainstream kids make fun of them often.I try to build their confidence & self esteem.

I really liked that e mail. It shows that some people indeed have good hearts. I keep telling teenagers that they are the future and they WILL succeed. When they tell me they CAN'T do something I tell them can't is not acceptable. I then tell them to give it their best. Much of the time they will try harder if someone cares about them.

I will work with kids on a one to one basis as long as he/she tries to complete tasks. I have saved some of them and they always show their appreciation with a smile or a thank you. :)

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    aww. what a nice story. this is the kind of stuff i'd rather see on the news instead of the usual gloomy headlines.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Jack,
    That email is not appropriate for reading at work.

Now I'm all weaping and teary. I can't go to my meeting like this.

Thanks.

5. jeneric

jeneric New Member

FYI, there really isn't a punch line.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Origins for anyone interested:
    http://www.snopes.com/glurge/chush.htm

The story quoted above is Perfection at the Plate, a work of Rabbi Paysach Krohn which appeared in his 1999 book, Echoes of the Maggid. Echoes is a "Chicken Soup for the Soul" type work, described by its publishers as "heartwarming stories and parables of wisdom and inspiration." It is the fifth such tome in the Maggid series. Rabbi Krohn says that the story is true and that he was told it by Shaya's father, who is a friend of his. (The "Chush" school mentioned in the piece is the Jewish Center for Special Education on Kent Street in Brooklyn, a school that caters to Yiddish-speaking children of Orthodox Hasidic Jews. )

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Reminds me of one of those "After School Special" thingy's when I was a kid...

I'll never forget the one about "Geraldine", was given the name, "Jelly Bean", by insidious students... In the end, she pulled off some miraculous stunt, and the audience started chanting, "JELLY BEAN! JELLY BEAN!", wheras she freaked out and ran up through the aisles of people chanting... For some reason, I simply cannot forget that....

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Oh God, what next? Are we going to sing the Christmas Shoes song? :huh:

Even though it is a heartwarming story - Sorry, it's just a little too unbelievable and sappy to get a warm and fuzzy reaction out of me.

1) No author, date, location. Fishy from the start.

2) "When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the natural order of things in my son?"
    - It sounds as though nature was interfered with when Shay was born. There was no “natural order†in Shay. Medical technology is what allowed him to live longer than a few days or weeks – yet we are supposed to wonder why he cannot understand or do things other children do? It's just Darwin's Natural Selection at work . . . no matter how much man tries to interfere.

3) “The father continued. "I believe, that when a child like Shay, physically and mentally handicapped comes into the world . . .â€
    - “handicapped†??? not in this era of Political Correctness would someone giving a speech in front of that audience say, “physically and mentally handicapped.†--“challengedâ€- yes, “handicappedâ€- Nooooooo.

4) “ . . . some boys Shay knew were playing baseball. Shay asked,†Do you think they'll let me play?"
    - Shay sounds lucid enough to not only recognize the boys, but to feel self consious enough to know he may be rejected. [as though it has happened before]

5) “Shay's father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play . . .â€
    - Who is speaking here???? Is it the father giving the speech talking about himself in the third-person – or is it the writer injecting thoughts into the dad's head?

6) “Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked if Shay could play . . .â€
    - These kids were playing in uniforms - so it wasn't just a bunch of neighborhood kids and a pick-up game. A man walking on to a field and talking to a kid would most likely be chased off as a possible child molester. And the kid probably would have said, “hey, can't you see I am in the middle of a game. You are a stranger, don't talk to me.â€

7) "We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth inning."
    - Again . . . eighth inning, six runs . . . not a pick-up game. What is this kid doing making decisions like that . . . wouldn't one of the coaches, umpire, the parent of, or the kid who was benched for Shane's benefit have a say? Yet we are to believe this kid made all the decisions?

8) "Shay struggled over to the team's bench put on a team shirt with a broad smile and his Father had a small tear in his eye and warmth in his heart.â€
    - How many times have you gone to a game and saw an extra uniform laying around????

9) “The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted.â€
    - They all saw the tear in the dad's eye? How old are these kids? Does the writer actually expect us to accept that level of emotional maturity in a gaggle of boys?

10) “Now, with two outs and the bases loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be next at bat.â€
    - Sounds a little Hollywood to me. It just so happened that . . . .

11) “Everyone knew that a hit was all but impossible 'cause Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly, much less connect with the ball.â€
    - What kid doesn't know how to hold a baseball bat properly? Was his physical impairment such that he could not hold the bat properly, or are we to believe that he did not know how because he had never held a bat before? Lo and behold . . . he hit it!

12) THE HOME RUN -
    - Every one of those kids spontaneously knew they were throwing a tied game in the bottom of the ninth inning for Shane's benefit? Not one was was dumb enough, mean enough, or so self-centered of a child to tag Shane out and be the hero themselves? Yea right.

13) “By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had the ball, the smallest guy on their team, who had a chance to be the hero for his team for the first time . . .. he too intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's head.â€
    - And how would the dad/writer know that the right fielder had never had a chance to be “the hero� And if he is the smallest guy on the team (aka weakest, worst player), how is it that he could throw the ball from the right side of right field “high and far over the third-baseman's head�??? Most fielders at that age can't throw the ball all the way to home plate without bouncing it several times, yet we are to believe the team weakling is supposed to be able to achieve THAT feat?

I don't think this story would pass the Myth Busters' smell test. It may have been told to a Rabbi, but that doesn't mean it was a truthful story to begin with.

What would I do? . . . :rolleyes: I'd ask whoever sent me the email to please not send me any more like that one . . . and to remove my address from their mass mailing list - because that is one way we get on spam lists.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty much my thinking on the thing, but everyone was getting so mushy I didn't wanna be the cynic this time! Thanks for picking up the ball and running with it!

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can throw it over the first baseman's head if it will help your self-esteem. :lol:

Sorry, SPE. Evan set me up so perfectly I'd be remiss if I didn't follow through.

Also, there are many stories of fiction that move people to act, think, weep, or jump for joy. That they are not real doesn't diminish their impact on those who read them. For fear of sounding even more weapy, I know as a fact that It's a Wonderful Life is a work of fiction but I still cry at the end.

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nah. Watching a bench warmer throw the foul ball back into play, innings after my grand-slam, does nothing for my self-esteem. :p

12. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    One thing occurs to me. Do you think that perhaps the media knows you better than you think that they do? That the reason they don't print the good news is because you don't believe it? That the only things that you will believe without too much effort is the bad stuff, no matter how preposterous it is? That it's nonsense to really believe that some people could actually act the way we wish that we could act if only we were better people? Oh no, that couldn't possibly happen. No, even though a rabbi said it, no that's too farfetched. It would be more effective if you'd turn that high-powered critical thinking towards politicians and big business that really f**k this country up on a daily basis with their horsesh*t, instead of wasting it on the one decent story that you see. I hear a lot of complaining that the media only reports the bad news. Well D'UH! :rolleyes: