1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

And the fifth one is free

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by amped, Aug 13, 2005.

1. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've posted my Prius buy/sell strategy here, search for details. It worked.

I ordered my '06 Prius and already have a buyer for my '05. Although '06 pricing isn't announced, even with an aggressive price increase I'll exceed profit objectives from sales of the last four Priuses to pay for the next one from all cash proceeds. I always sold below market creating a fabled win/win, yet combined with tax deductions and direct credits from my state (OR) will realize my goal of a free Prius ahead of schedule by one car rotation.

That's the good news. The bad is personal. My color choice, Magnetic Gray (1G3) is delayed until 04/06, but I want to take delivery during early 01/06 to assure the new tax credit of $3,400 given credit caps per manufacturer, so I ordered Seaside Pearl instead.

Also, I have in hand nine pages of production order specs in Excel format that I'm too lazy to post. All of the packages are different for '06. The HID's are part of a more expensive package. Gone is my prior favorite AM package. To get HID's I had to order the new HK Package #6 that includes the absurd rear camera and JBL/Bluetooth/MP3 system. But, it does include the new fog and driving lamps. If you want leather, bend over.

I guess the biggest disappointment is finding that the rumored power driver's seat and telescoping wheel are not to be. Luckily, I fit just fine in the '05 seat, but I was hoping for ultimate adjustability.

The moral is, with over 345 patents on Prius, I've not much room to complain considering how well I've done with The Plan. I'm looking forward to Christmas in January!

2. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    can you repost your strategy? this priuschat server aint so fast. or at least link it? thanks!=)

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

yes, what's your strategy? Please tell us the secret

4. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some of the details of your plan are definitely not quite right.

First of all, the maximum tax credit that a Prius purchase will see is $2,750, and that's only if the 2006 model achieves a city EPA of 60 as the 2004/5 have.

Secondly, the magic "60,000 units" is NOT a cap (as has been erroneously reported in the media). It is only a trigger to a phase out calendar that would only begin 3 to 6 months AFTER the trigger number is hit. That means ALL Prius purchases within the first 6 months of 2006 will qualify for the full tax credit. If Toyota does not deliver 60K in the first 3 months of 2006, which is entirely possible, and they may even hold back deliveries deliberately so as not to hit the 60K trigger, the full tax credit will then be good for ALL purchases within the first 9 months of 2006.

So, if you really want the Magnetic Gray and get it between April and June 2006, you will get the FULL tax credit.

There's a Tideland #6 with my name on it coming in at the end of the month that I will most likely take. I am also considering ordering a 2006, possibly Magnetic Gray (if I like the color) and timing the delivery to be sure I have it within the full tax credit period.

5. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the rear camera is an excellent safety feature, especially considering the limited rearview visibility due to the unusual rear end design of the Prius.

6. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How far?

7. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would greatly appreciate it if you would post the information that you have in this spreadsheet. I'm sure it would be of great interest and helpful to someone like me who is seriously considering ordering a 2006.

8. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes please post them.
    I on deck for an 05, but will wait for an 06 if I need to.

9. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm up to bat (there's an allocation with my name on it) for a 2005. At this point, I'm likely going to take it, but depending on colors, features, etc., I just may order a 2006 so that it gets delivered late spring (definitely within the full tax credit period whether it's 6 or 9 months) and privately sell the 2005.

Like amped, the sales tax is waived for hybrids here in Connecticut, demand is very high and MSRP waitlists, if you can even find one, are still quite long (I will have waited 4 months) and most dealers have gone back to selling with premiums over MSRP, basically to the highest bidder. Since there are no tax implications for me buying again new and I have a dealer where I can definitely get MSRP, I stand to make money on the 2005. Even if I sell it for what I pay for it after putting 20K-25K miles on it, it will have been like driving it for free.

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It's the OR tax credits that made the Prius turnovers profitable. Until 2006, the feds haven't helped a whole lot. We have no such state incentives here, so turnover is not profitable here.

Could you believe my salesman thought the fed tax break was a CREDIT YEARLY? I had to call him on that one for proof, as I knew (at the time) it was phasing out to $1500 one time DEDUCTION!

11. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

How come original poster doesn't respond to this post any more? I
    s it possible that he doesn't want to give out his secret???

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It's only been a few days. The way this site has been working, I even hesitate to come onboard these days. Too slow, and I can't keep up. Takes me nearly all day to catch up.