1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

And the "something for nothing" begins

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by roryjr, Aug 15, 2007.

1. roryjr

roryjr Member

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3479449&page=1

The center decides to get money she did not earn. I remember when the whole Imus thing hit. I had never heard of him and I think it was said that the Rutgers girls hadn't either. Before the "Imus is racist" comments return, remember, he said good things about the winning team and they had just as many black girls as Rutgers.

This is exactly what liberal social programs teach children. Figure out some way to get someone else to pay your way so you don't have to work and be responsible.

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roryjr @ Aug 14 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]495945[/snapback]</div>
    Hey he just got $20 million bucks from CBS. You didn't think he was going to keep all of it for himself did you? :lol:

Wildkow

3. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roryjr @ Aug 15 2007, 12:57 AM) [snapback]495945[/snapback]</div>
    WHAT? I come from a signle parent welfare family, and take exception to that comment.

Having a small hand up kept us out of the gutter when I was a child, and having this very very modest assistance from a liberal social program allowed our family to have the bare neccesities in life.

Having the essential needs of (second hand) clothing, (tiny) housing and (USDA surplus) food available allowed me to go to school, and spend energy on my education, rather than seeking out sustenence as a child.

This safety net allowed me to pursue some form of education, which after several years of hard work to develop skills, has positioned me ahead in my career to the point where I support my family (so my wife can give our toddler the at-home attention he needs, I am saving for my son's college, and I drive this super-cool 30K car, which is 60% paid off after 1 year!

Liberal social programs taught me that we live in a compasionate society, which will provide the neccesities to those who unable or (unfortunately) unwilling to provide for themselves. If you want to get ahead in your life, education, skills and a strong work ethic will get you there.

Unfortuantely there are leeches in society. There are people who abuse charity, and these are often the same folks seeking out the "free ride" that you despise. I beleive this is the fault of the individual, and a failing of culture. Perhaps sometimes this parasitic behavior is enabled by liberal social programs, but they are certainly not the cause.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and for considering my point of view.

Sincerely,
    Greenkeeper

4. roryjr

roryjr Member

Greenkeeper, I salute you. I am very proud of the things you speak of.

Unfortunately, I see far more on the other side of the aisle. When I grew up, I don't know if we had the programs that we have today. I do remember going to a local store for shoes. For some reason shoes were much cheaper here. I don't know what was "wrong" with these shoes, if anything. That was what we had. We had one modest TV and no cable.

I don't fault you for the help your family received. You took it and moved up in life to the point where you no longer need it. That's the way it is supposed to work.

Unfortunately, I've been into a lot of homes of people who receive the earned income credit. This was designed to help low income people with the necessities of life. All I've seen is that it helps them get big screen TV's at tax time. Wal-Mart has big sales at tax time because they know that people get back thousands more than what they paid. These people aren't saving it to help with the necessities, they blow them on big screen TV's and other unnecessary things.

I may be wrong, but this is what I see in my experience. Always remember. The government has no money other than what they take from us.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Aug 15 2007, 01:09 AM) [snapback]495958[/snapback]</div>
    No, the government will get about 45-50%. The Rutger's player(s) will get nothing. The fact they are asking for anything after he apologized and went to the lengths he went to to say he was sorry is sickening.

It shows how correct Imus was and how wrong CBS was. Let me think about this.... Imus gets a four month vacation and gets $20 Million for taking it - not to mention all the free publicity. Anyone want to bet what he ends up making and who is going to pay him?

BTW - he will probably donate a large amount of it to his charities for which he has raised over $100 million - I wonder how much alsharpton et al have given to charity besides their own charities?

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roryjr @ Aug 14 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]495945[/snapback]</div>
    No, this is exactly what ladies suing McDonalds for serving her hot coffee teach our children. There have been a huge number of publicized cases over the past 10 years of people suing someone or some company for the most ridiculous things, and winning. The fact that someone gets greedy and decides to try to make a buck on someone else's mistake is suddenly the liberals fault? take your complaints to the conservative supreme court for holding up the precedents that make cases like these possible.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What Imus said was "nothing".

I think we've identified the problem.

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roryjr @ Aug 15 2007, 12:57 AM) [snapback]495945[/snapback]</div>
    You said it, And HOW! :lol:

9. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    He won't have to pay her a dime. Libel is defined as "an untruthful statement about a person, published in writing or through broadcast media, that injures the person's reputation or standing in the community." She had no reputation or standing in the community. Case closed.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i love how social programs are being blamed for the lawsuit-happiness of america. i think greenkeeper said it best, so i have no further comment.

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 15 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]496168[/snapback]</div>
    She didn't? As a member of a championship caliber team, i would bet that she had a reputation and a standing in her campus community.

Back when i was in college, my fraternity had a certain reputation and a certain standing on campus - as gentlemen of the highest caliber, with outstanding grades and as one of the top fraternities on campus (and one of the top chapters at nationals). As part of the group, that reputation and standing was extended to me. Libel could certainly be applied if an untruthful statement was made about the fraternity.

Do you have a certain connection to the university or the players involved? do you know them personally? How do you know that there wasn't damage to their reputation or standing from this event? Imagine, as a student, walking across campus and having people laughing and snickering because of this. I would say that constitutes damage.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2007, 07:56 AM) [snapback]496025[/snapback]</div>
    His charity is a bogus self serving way to get a free ranch. Do a (VERY) little homework and that quickly becomes evident. This vile skum has a long history of flinging the 'N' word around back in the early 80's ... when it wasn't politically to do so.

13. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 15 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]496187[/snapback]</div>
    So how did you get in? :lol:

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 15 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]496168[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, so you know for a fact that she was a whore?

15. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roryjr @ Aug 14 2007, 08:57 PM) [snapback]495945[/snapback]</div>
    Ahhh those liberal social programs like corporate welfare whereby we poor are taxed to death to afford 'give aways' to wealthy corporations who pay little to no tax anyway and are owned by the rich. You mean those???
    Perhaps it's time to stop being a neocon lapdog and quit regurgitating drivel of which you have no personal experience. Putting down those less fortunate than yourself may be 'sport' in your church, but in the real, conscious world it shows lack of compassion, empathy, and fundamental understanding. Your road leads to bush, cheney, gonzales, rove, and the WORST PRESIDENCY EVER which has led our countrymen into danger on a scale never seen on our shores since the great buffalo slaughter.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 15 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]496187[/snapback]</div>

And when this black woman graduates and goes out into the professional community, what will be the reaction when she is asked what college she attended and she says "Rutgers".

"Oh, are you one of the nappy headed hos?"

Or maybe she can just lie the rest of her life.

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 15 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]496320[/snapback]</div>
    Those white Duke lacrosse players wont have to work a day in their lives - nor will their children - nor their children's children - etc. And boy oh boy will there be a flood of lawsuits if this one goes through - and if i were her lawyer i know who i would want in the jury :lol:

tell me, how do we suit jesse jackson for his hymietown comment - imagine 3 million people filing suit against jesse.

hey, if you call slander someone by calling them doberman, where can they go to file a lawsuit? When i apply for next position you will never know if someone would say to me, "are you the doberman from the priuschat bb?

18. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2007, 02:33 PM) [snapback]496324[/snapback]</div>
    I'd think you --of anyone, Doctor-- would realize that slander is in the eye of the beholder.

For all we know, you secretly idolize Saddam Hussein...and were attempting to complement Mr. Obama by referring to him as you did.

I, for one, was attempting to complement *you* by calling you after one of my favorite breeds of dog!
    :)

Gosh, sorry for the confusion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roryjr @ Aug 14 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]495945[/snapback]</div>
    Some thoughts are better left unwritten.

19. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As someone who has had a previous post considered laughable, please permit my silly self to insert a thought here (I hope my construct is better this time) :rolleyes:

He did call her a nappy-headed ho. Regardless of 'liberal programs', and what they teach, I think there is an entirely different reason for the lawsuit.

How do we REALLY show someone that their behavior is unacceptable? Punishment. That's the theory, anyway. So how was Imus really punished? He wasn't. Not in any way that mattered. Now, what matters to most people? Money.

So... imagine you had been called a nappy-headed ho. You have been insulted in a most public and humiliating way. Sure, he sort of apologized, but you think it was just to save his nice person; he didn't mean it at all. The guy who insulted you basically gets a little slap on the hand and told 'naughty, naughty', then it's back to life as usual in a very short time. Would you be pissed? Sure, you would.

So, because nobody else did much about it, you are. What can you do? Shoot him? Well, I suppose you could, but that sort of thing is frowned upon. Basically, a lawsuit is your best option to see that the guy gets some sort of punishment for the humiliation he has caused you. The only thing you can do to punish him, legally, is take some of his money. Basically, you are trying to make him pay for what he did. So, you're going to, figuratively and literally. Getting the money would just be gravy. Great gravy, but that's not really the point.

I'm not saying the suit has merit, or it doesn't. But I can certainly see another reason for the suit other than just wanting to be a lazy leech. At least, that would be the case if it were me.

20. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 15 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]496187[/snapback]</div>
    I'll bet you can't identify any of the players by name and therefore their reputations have been damaged only insofar as one knows them to be members of the Rutgers women’s basketball team. But apparently, being called a "Nappy Headed Ho" entitles you millions... I'm sure she'll be suing Kanye, R Kelly and P-Diddy next right?

Anyone know offhand what the legal test is for when jokes/figures of speech become libelous? I want to be sure the next time I jokingly call a friend a “douchebag†that I don’t owe him any money.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Aug 15 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]496197[/snapback]</div>
    I think her lawsuit pretty much removes all doubt. So she claims it was “debasing, demeaning, humiliating, and denigratingâ€â€¦ and wants to be compensated?

Golly - Imus was right!

"Scarred for life"? Evidently, a couple of million dollars can remove those scars? I wonder if Sharpton & Jackson, the two jokers in a deck of race cards, get a cut?