1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

And you thought YOU had a long commute...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Rancid13, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    370-Mile Drive Wins Longest Commute Contest

Studies Show Americans Travel Longer, Farther Than Ever to Work

NEW YORK (April 20) - Dave Givens drives 370 miles to work and back every day and considers his seven-hour commute the best answer to balancing his work with his personal life.

The winner of a nationwide contest to find the commuter with the longest trek, Givens is one of millions of people who are commuting longer and farther than ever before.

Full Article

Whew! I'm getting tired just reading about his commute, leaving before dawn and arriving back home after dark. I could never do that...

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He's an EE with Cisco and a 370 mile commute...a prime Prius candidate, and the photo on AOL sorta looked like he might be driving a Prius, but I just couldn't tell for certain and I couldn't find, in several press articles and the official Midas announcement what he drives.

Almost 90k miles per year of driving, if my math is correct. At 50mpg that's about $5000/year on gas alone, if he's in anything less than a Prius it's hard to imagine a financial justification for that long of a commute. Certainly he mentions other things that make it worth while to him.

I used to commute over 100 miles/day for my job in Alaska, and loved every drive. Seriously, the nature and scenery was different and interesting every day and I enjoyed that time alone on the road. But I was getting about 12mpg in my Expedition...don't even want to think about what I spent on gas during that 3 years!

3. dsunman

dsunman New Member

Interesting,

Personally I don't have a problem with the long commute, especially when someone else is driving as I can enjoy the passing landscapes and can contemplate.

The problem though is the inefficient fuel consumption and wear and tear on the vehicle and the infrastructure that only leads to more energy consumption, I wish we would have solar bikes or flying gravitational pods of some kind to minimize the impact.

Isn't the commute the worst factor in calculating the effect of an individual 'global carbon footprint' that gears toward cognisance of sustainability?

You may calculate your own here:Global Carbon Footprint

Of course this goes beyond carbon:

http://www.footprintnetwork.org/

I gotta plant a lot of trees this year to redeem it. :eek: :)

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Long commutes suck and they are a waste of my time.

Currently, I commute 30 miles each way, about 45 minutes each way, and hate it. Total, utter, waste. Yeah, there are things I can do to make it more pleasant, but the underlying feeling is that it sucks. SUX.

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I recently lived in the LA area for 1.5 years (in El Segundo, just south of LAX) I commuted ~35 miles and 1-1.5 hours to my job in Huntington Beach and back. That commute KILLED me, as the 405 freeway was a virtual parking lot every morning and evening between the 105 fwy and the 605 fwy. That's when I should have started looking into Priuses. Now that we've moved closer to HB (thank gosh!), my commute on surface streets is 25-30 minutes over 13 miles. I *could* take the freeway, but it's not worth the stress to me to have to deal with a gigantic 6-7 lane parking lot the entire way to work. The freeway's not so bad in the evening though.

6. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 21 2006, 12:12 PM) [snapback]243157[/snapback]</div>
    It looks like you would better do the zoom-zoom... for 45 minutes, wouldn't you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found a link to an ABC video with a segment on this guy with video of his car...I think it's a Camry, but I'm not a great IDer of cars and they never give a good shot of the badging. BTW, they mention that he purchased the car in June of last year and that it was about to turn over 76k miles when the video was shot. If he's just getting 25mpg in a Camry he'd have saved almost $5000 and created much less pollution if he'd have driven a Prius...and the BT would have been built in instead of him having to wear the geeky ear thing inside the car!

java script:void(window.open('http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/new...rWindow','width=793,height=608,scrollbars=no'));

If that link doesn't work go to this one:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060421/ts_nm/...ne_waivers_dc_3
    And click on the link for the ABC video in the window.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    He gets about 30 MPG at $3 a gallon (do the math from the article).

He spends about $4000 per month on vehicle wear and tear. That's enough to buy a very nice house near where he works.

Nate

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He's driving a 2005 Accord EX.. can't tell if it's a V6 or not.

10. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

That's a lot of $!!!
    I live ~9 miles from my workplace and spend 45 minutes - 1 hour in traffic each way. I could cut my commute in half by taking the interstate, but I refuse. :)

11. mitchbf

mitchbf New Member

I have an 80 mile round trip commute per day. It takes me about 45 to 50 minutes each way. It is all highway and pretty much of a reverse commute so I have no real complaints, except the Prius seat is not the best. I think that it would be tough to live 9 miles from work and take an hour to get there. That's the kind of thing that drives me (pun intended) crazy. It is like running on a treadmill. I bought my Prius right before taking this job and starting the commute. I admit to being a bit of a tree hugger and I also figured that between the gasoline and tax breaks, I could help my conscience, the environment and my pocketbook with one large purchase! :)

12. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    WHY????
    I guess being at home must really be bad that the long commute balances it out?????

are we really getting that stupid?

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Some have a long commute (like Las Vegas to Los Angeles), but they have an apartment so they don't go home every night. When I worked in El Centro, there were those who commuted to San Diego (120 miles each way) every night. At a business in San Diego, there were some who commuted from Orange County (about the same distance). After all, if you really like where you live and don't want to move every time you get a new job, you have to make sacrifices somewhere.

When I got the Prius, my commute was 5 miles each way, residential streets only. The company moved so it's now about 18 miles each way. At least it varies; it's residential, winding roads and freeway.

14. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

My 'commute' varies. I have to visit any one of a dozen or so locations on most days. The closest is about 30 miles each way, the furthest, about 100 miles each way. Most times, there is no real traffic, ecept for accidents and construction.... but even that is not often. I often say I'd rather drive 100 miles in the Hudson Valley than 15 miles down near NYC.

I put between 35 & 38,000 miles a year on the car. The dealer even joked, that I was getting a 3 yr, 100,000 mile extended warranty! The Prius is cutting my fuel bill in half... and as gas prices go up, it save me more.. right now I'd estimate about $150 a month... That's about 60% of my Prius payment

15. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I'd have to nominate this guy for dumbass of the year.

This is what cheap gas brings us (at least it used to be cheap)...what a friggin waste of resources. He's just wasting his life away in his car.

LOSER :angry:

16. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2Hybrids @ Apr 22 2006, 04:59 AM) [snapback]243575[/snapback]</div>
    Hey,,, why the hostility?? :huh:

Or where you referring to the orginal commuter? :unsure:

If me......
    It's a job that someone has to do... at least now I'm doing it in a Prius....
    I set my cruise control at 63/64, depending on my mood, while all the single occupant SUVs blow by & around me at 75-80. Save your hostility for the 'dumbasses' there.
    I'd love to have a job 5 mles from home, but alas, it's not to be.

Peace & love 2Hybrids B)

17. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I have had the same commute pretty much for 26 years. I have made a few adjustments and vary things a bit, but it is about 9 miles country driving and 4 miles city streets. 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year....26 years.

I started HATING it about 5-6 years ago and wanted to move to within 2 miles of work. My wife didn't want to move. Now I just have 8 months to wait until my commute will be history (I retire in Jan. '07)

(sorry you ignore me now dsnman...I see you can be pleasant on non-religious topics)

18. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]243136[/snapback]</div>
    I just checked... he is not an EE... :D

I have two co-workers that can match his commute, except they are smart enough to commute only once a week.

One commutes from Fesno to SJ. And the other from Idaho to SJ... :unsure:

19. autoxic

autoxic Commuter

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My commute is 126 miles each way, for 252 round trip. And... it goes into the DC beltway.

Time varies from 1:50 to 4 hours. Avg is 2:15 each way, thanks to HOV lanes. But, I go round trip just twice a week, so I am not completely insane. I can take back roads part of the way to vary the scenery.

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Man, thats like filling up everyother day, unless hes hyper mileing!

I would either move closer or find something closer.. My wife does about 100 miles round trip to work in the next county.

I luckly have a take home car which saves some gas, but so the tax payers arent footing the bill we have to pay to take the department cars home $60 a month but thats still cheaper than wear/tear on the personal car.. my commute is 13 miles one way plus the 150 or so I put on during my shift. I keep begging for another hybrid..