1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Angry Ford dealer in SC calls imports "rice ready...not road ready"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Presto, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Article Link

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that sounds about right for South Carolina.

3. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Idiot. Toyota has plants in the US as well.

4. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota imports more into the US than all but a handful or two of countries....that is a fact.

6. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow what a dumbass. Maybe he should take a trip over to Mississippi and Texas. Then when he gets done there he can take a trip over to the Ford plant in Mexico and Canada....wait you mean those aren't in the US?

In all honesty, I just think he's scared he is going to lose HIS job. One of the biggest Ford dealers in San Diego County just bought another large Ford dealership. Who knows what's going to happen to all those other guys at the one being bought out.

7. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The article says that 60 % of the cars they (Toyota) sell in the United States are built here, and that they employ 36,600 Americans.

I like how Malorn is the GM guy and he has a Pontiac Vibe listed as household vehicles, built by NUMMI in CA and practically identical to the Toyota Matrix which is completely based off the Corolla.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    About 60% are built in the US and canada, and those 36,600 employees dispaced 130,000 US employees. US contenet is not as high in the transplants, engineering is done overseas and the profits go overseas.

9. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    efficiencies in technology replaced those workers, everytime they build a new robot in manufacturing it replaces 3 or more workers. Fortunately increased technology increases skilled laborers (software programmers, and the people who repair the robots)

I'd rather my money go overseas to a company that is fiscally responsible then go into the pockets of a CEO that has the nerve to take a $10 Million performance bonus to close down plants.

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What about the 4 million plus vehicles sold in the US this year imported from Japan, Korea and Germany? Did those vehicles not displace US workers. What about the Toyota assembled in Kentucky of parts 40-20% sourced in Japan? do those vehicles displace US workers?

11. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

True. However, in the Japanese company that I worked for all of those robots were designed in Japan, made in Japan, and installed by Japanese engineers sent over to set up the line. The company also keep a staff of Japanese engineers that did the troubleshooting on the machinery. All the spare parts were shipped in from Japan.

The only American workers involved in the instillation were the truck drivers that brought in the crates and millwrights that ran the fork trucks. American workers fed parts in one end and out the other. Not exactly "skilled laborers".

12. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Malorn, you make good points about the automotive industry. The US has very poor trade agreements with China, Korea, and Japan. China requires any vehicle to be made in a 50/50 joint venture or face huge import fees. Korea only allows 5,000 vehicle per year. Japan also has limited auto imports.

However cars aren't the only industries or products that are part of a trade deal. Look the CAFTA "free trade" agreement we are negotiating with Central American companies. As part of that agreement we are protecting US sugar growers by making free trade in sugar off limits. We are illegally putting tariffs on Canadian timber products to protect our industry. Japan and Korea are HUGE markets for the US beef industry and we have eliminated beef growers in those counties.

The beef industry is so powerful that Department of Commerce is about to impose a 100% tariff on EU made motorcycle less than 500cc as retaliation for a 20 year EU ban on beef raised with growth hormones. The ironic thing is that there are no US manufacturers of motorcycles less that 500cc in the US. The ban will put US dealers of Husqvarna, Husaberg, KTM, Gas Gas and Aprilia motorcycles out of business though.

My point? Trade agreements have winners and losers among different industries. The US hasn't negotiated very well for the US auto companies. Maybe they need to give more money than the large agra corporations.

13. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anger makes people say stupid things. As I recall, the Escape Hybrid uses licensed Toyota technology. If not for Toyota's expertice, there wouldn't be an Escape Hybrid. I see more Escape Hybrids on the LA freeways, than any other non Prius, including Hondas. I was born bleeding Ford Blue, after 3 Mustangs, and a Taurus, I discovered that my Eagle talon, Subarus, and Prius, were not only more reliable and economical to run, but more fun to drive as well. If Ford sold some of their excellent European models over here, it might be a different story. Love USA or not, I will not buy a Crown Vic or Expedition just to prove my patriotism. That's my rant.

14. gmalis1

gmalis1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Am I wrong, but doesn't Ford and GM sell cars to Europe and Asia (China is the BIGGEST importer of US branded vehicles)? And aren't they the largest provider of vehicles there?

Where do THOSE profits go? If they are US companies, don't they go right back here?

15. jeffreykb

jeffreykb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Things like tough economic times bring out the "extremes" in more people. It appears that the US has become divided on many issues. What is the phrase?..."Divide and conquer". Except we are our on worst enemy...I believe the division is self inflicted.

If I did not use my resources in other ways, I probably own a Prius (more likely a TCH...but the new Prius looks good) and a Hummer.

16. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We opened the markets. Someone else built a better mousetrap than us, more efficiently translating to cheaper to the consumer. And now we're surprised when everyone buys the better one?

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM and Ford cars sold in china are not imported from the US because it is not allowed. Every manufacturer competing in China must have a chinese partner. Yes the profits from China do come back and help GM and ford in the US.

18. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    he can say one thing

he is right about the money spending stupidity in DC
    thats the same all over the world

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They are just better negotiators, they "give up" the beef industry and gain autos, steel, electronics, computers, etc. The negotiator for the US are either idiots or corrupted or both. You can buy alot of beef for half a trillion dollars, the estimated US trade deficit with china and Japan this year.

20. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    haha.. simply pathetic. just save ur breath and stop whining already :rolleyes: