1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ankle Injuries after accident?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mrobinsonphoto, Jun 30, 2009.

1. mrobinsonphoto

mrobinsonphoto New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious if anyone else has experienced an ankle injury from the brake. My mother and I were in nearly identical accidents in our prius's.

We were both hit from the front by a 16 year old driver who failed to yeild on green while turning left. My mother suffered a broken ankle and will never walk normally again, she was hit by an F-150. I was hit by an Acura RSX and I'm a 27 year old male and my ankle has been sore for the past two months.

Just curious to see if this is a common issue. I do realize that both of our accidents occurred from the front driver side so the most energy would be traveling down the driver side/brake.

Anyone else have this experience?

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It seems fairly common. This brief not only mentions foot injury, but even right hip injury:

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/11240298

and does not depend on the vehicle. Every other part of the car is designed to crumple/absorb energy in a crash. Steering columns have crush sleeves in them

But the brake pedal is trickier. Some newer cars have brake pedals that under certain severe front end crashes, are designed to give.

But the brake pedal assembly has to be made strong, so in a panic stop when you stomp on the pedal, it doesn't break off. The human leg is about the strongest part of the body

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I agree, in fact, I once designed a brake pedal assembly for a heavy duty truck. You have to design for maximum stiffness and you cannot allow the pedal to break (no pun intended) under any circumstances. I recall that I used the maximum force that a 95 percentile male could apply with both feet (you can find this info in a Human Factors design book) to come up with the max load. I then had the prototype pedal destructively tested to failure to verify that it could meet the load. I then refined the design for the production pedal and retested again with the production pedal. For the last test, the pedal did not fail, but the testing buck that was designed to simulate the cab structure failed at ~ 1100 lbs force. IIRC, the max force for a 95th percentile male (using both legs) was somewhere between 700 - 800 lbs force.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Excluding Jayman's bald head. :p

Tom

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One must also consider that in a panic stop situation you may not align your foot properly on the pedal because you are in such a rush to remove your foot from the gas pedal and transfer it to the brake pedal. If your foot is not aligned properly you will put an enormous amount of strain on bones and ligaments when the impact does occur.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :doh:

:mmph:

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Or, on earlier cars with poorly designed crush zones, the toe pan/floor pan would violently push upwards, in some cases resulting in the left foot breaking, sometimes clean off, collecting environment, and ending up further up the leg in the pants

This is a very traumatic sort of injury, usually there is a lifelong disability associated with it. An uncle of mine got into a crash when a drunk blew a red light, his smaller car crushed badly. Despite wearing a seatbelt, which was rare back then, he lost his left foot.

The floorpan literally pinched off his foot

8. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My brother had an emergency brake embedded in his leg. That was actually one of the least of his problems from his mini-van accident.

1 person likes this.
  9. derkire

derkire New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is THE reason I simply CANNOT make myself purchase a Prius. As soon as a sat in one, I noticed the danger of the parking brake pedal shearing off my ankle in a collision. At my height, the brake is very dangerously near my ankle/shin, and I foresee grave injury in the case of a collision.

I wonder if anything could be done, such as sawing off the pedal or modifying it. Let's see if we can get a discussion started!

Another safety detail that I dislike: Even with the electronic key, the fob and any associated dangling metal keys (house keys or whatnot) are right in the path of my right knee in the case of collision. Given that the car key is electronic, Toyota had the opportunity to place it almost anywhere. How could they ignore such an obvious improvement? Saab of course has the ultimate design where the key is in the center console.

Very saddened to hear about your injuries.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think anyone actually drives around with the key FOB in the slot.

11. derkire

derkire New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So you are saying the key fob could be in your pocket or lying in the center console while driving? I did not know that. Thanks.

Any ideas on the parking brake pedal problem? I'd love to buy a Prius, but I just can't the way things are.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, most people keep the FOB in their pocket or in their purse. :)

As for ankle damage. I have not seen any evidence that the Prius is any worse or better in foot protection than any other vehicle. The fact that the cabin area stays intact and less deformed than many other vehicles would lead me to believe that it is safer than most. If there was a high risk of such dmg I would think the IIHS would have listed it. The did list leg, hip, head injury probability for other vehicles with poorer crash ratings.

Go play with this site for a bit and watch how different cars are affected in frontal and side-impact collisions. Watch the prius then watch the 1999-2006 GMC Sierra. The same truck many of my friends think is safer than my Prius. I used to own one, they are not that tough.

ConsumerReports.org - Car crash test

13. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You might consider avoiding all cars with a brake pedal. ;)

Seriously, in my 36 years in EMS I've seen dozens of people's legs injured by brake pedals, gas pedals, clutch pedals, parking brake pedals .... Anything in close proximity to legs at the time of impact in a high-velocity collision stands a chance of gouging them or worse -- car make and model notwithstanding. It doesn't take much crash-related distortion of the firewall or body side panel for pedals to close in on relatively immobile legs.

14. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Injury to the lower extremities is pretty common in any passenger vehicle in this sort of impact. I was lucky when I was driving an F-150 hit by an idiot in another F-150 who blew an intersection during an ice storm. It was a corner hit so that my foot was knocked from the brake. I still had some nasty bruises and gashes on my shins, but no broken bones. And I was right back on the brake trying to stop as I picked my way through the trees... Meanwhile, Dipstick and his passenger struck a pole and bounced off the windshield. Airbags are only good for the initial collision, not the secondary hits. So wear your seat belts, boys and girls. I was able to walk home.

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, if the Prius has the Smart Entry / Smart Start feature. If the fob battery is dead, then you can start the car by inserting the fob into the slot. That's about the only time that the slot needs to be used.

If the Prius is a base model lacking that feature, then you have to insert the fob into the slot at all times.

16. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After breaking my ankle in a motorcycle accident, I'm not too worried about anything like that happening in a car. But it still pains me to see guys riding with just Nike's and sandals. Or no helmet.

On second thought, maybe I should start driving my Prius with my $400 Sidi boots.

17. derkire

derkire New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't say that I agree. There is a significant difference between the regular pedals and a special parking brake pedal with respect to foot placement:

Your right foot will normally not be resting UNDER any of the regular pedals. The left foot WILL be resting under the parking brake pedal while driving. And I think that makes a big difference as to the likelyhood of a pedal causing injury to the leg.

18. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Hey, I always wear a full hockey goalies outfit when I drive. I get looks now and then, usually in the summer, and since the incident I always try to remember to take off the mask when I go in stores, especially banks. Usually people think I must be Canadian, or sometimes they just figure I'm a big time sports nut. I have got to say, my left ankle has never been so safe. :mod:

But derkire, to be serious for a moment, the Prius is about as safe as any economy car gets. If that is not enough, you may want to look into some higher end cars, in particular the Volvo. They are known for having very sturdy cars and bleeding edge safety innovations.

Luck!

1 person likes this.
  19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've driven with part of my goalie's equipment (no pads, skates, or helmet), and I can tell you it's not easy. Changing at the rink is a better idea. Besides, the smell of hockey gear is overpowering, even stuffed way back into the hatch.

Tom

20. derkire

derkire New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Ken,

I suppose that <i>on the average,</i> the Prius is likely no worse and perhaps even better than other compact-sized cars.

But I do not think that is a reason not to improve what I consider to be a glaring engineering/design mistake. I'd be very surprised if bad ankle injuries are not very significantly over-represented among the types of injuries suffered in Prius accidents. And I think it should not be that way.

Fun to hear about the hockey pads idea. That was my first thought as well, basically wearing a shin guard on the left leg. But that seemed too weird and impractical.

The easier fix would be either to saw off the pedal or somehow to encase it in a big rubber or plastic gizmo/device that would distribute the force over a larger area of your leg. Seriously, I'm looking for a way to solve this problem.