1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[ANNOUNCE] open transaxle oil database

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bwilson4web, Nov 2, 2006.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi folks,

I wanted to start an open database of transaxle oil test results. I found "toyota-prius-sat2" in http://www.yahoogroups.com/ has the space and minimum features needed. Although oil testing services return more metrics, I had a 10 column limit:

1) prius year
    2) type (T/WS/amsoil)
    3) miles
    4) Viscosity cSt 40C
    5) Viscosity cSt 100C
    6) Silicon
    7) Aluminum
    8) Iron
    9) Copper
    10) Nickle

The year, type and miles obviously tell us what service the oil provided. Viscosity provides an indication of wear with 15% being the threshold for ready to replace. Silicon and Aluminum are key indicators of contamination by dirt/grit (roughly ratios found on earth.) Iron, copper and nickle are wear materials indicating loss of gear surfaces and bearing material.

I've pre-loaded the database with baseline samples of Type T, Type WS and Amsoil ATF. There are also six test sample for a total of nine records. Anyone can add a record or view the data. It is there as a public service.

Bob Wilson