1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Annoying and possibly fraudulent phone solicitations for extended warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JimboK, Aug 24, 2008.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is first a heads-up, and second to ask if any of you have experienced this and, if so, how you handled it.

For several months now I've been receiving recorded telephone solicitations offering an extended warranty, saying the Toyota factory warranty soon will expire. (The bumper-to-bumper warranty already has, but that's beside the point.) Though I considered an extended warranty, I never considered this option; I would have used this instead.

The recording begins with, "This is your second and final notice ...." I have received perhaps a dozen of these second and final notices. After the first one or two I ignored them, assuming that final meant final. Oh, no. I kept getting them. And getting them. On my cell phone too, for which I have a limited number of minutes.

So I started letting the message play through to find out how to get off the call list. It offers the option of pressing 2 on the phone keypad to be removed from the calling list. I've done that three or four times. At the end of the recording it asks me to hold so I can speak with a representative. I've done that twice now. The first time, no one answered after a minute or so, so I hung up. The second time I got a live voice. I said that I had received this second and final notice several times, I tried pressing 2 several times, and I was getting quite tired of receiving the calls. I was hung up on!

I called Toyota's customer service number to see if by some slim chance this was a Toyota operation, which their rep said wasn't. She speculated that these folks get their information from DMV records. It didn't occur to me until after I hung up that, though I could be wrong, I don't think I've ever had to give DMV my phone number. So now I'm wondering what company that knows I own a Toyota also might have my cell phone number. The dealer and the bank who financed the loan are the first that come to mind. I don't think either would be behind this; it seems beneath them. But I have to wonder who they might have given my information to.

They're smart; they don't block the phone number from caller ID. But twice now I've tried to return the call listed on caller ID, and I get a recording saying the number is not in service. And it seems that a different number appears with each call, which makes it difficult for me to know it's them.

I likely will register on the national Do Not Call list. I've never done that before because I've never been pestered with telemarketers on my cell phone before. I'm not optimistic that will help, however. If they hang up on me after hearing my direct request, it's not likely they honor the list.

A quick Google search reveals other similar experiences, and some have suggested these are outright fraudulent warranty offerings.

Next time they call, I am going do my best to make them believe they have another sucker -- er, buyer, on the line. I will ask as many questions as I can about the coverage, the cost, the limitations, and the company that underwrites it. I will do everything I can short of actually giving my credit card or other personal information over the phone. Heck, I might even given them bogus personal information, maybe a CC number from a long-ago closed account or something. While feigning interest I will do anything I can to 1) get information about who's behind this and 2) tease them, frustrate them, and tie up their time. If I exceed my cell phone minutes, so be it; it will be worth it. It might actually be fun!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Love Missouri's no-call list. I get so little of that. They're responsive when I report those sad few who dare violate the no-call list. I just can't get rid of the head-hunters looking for ER docs for some reason.

3. klodhopper

klodhopper New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A nifty site for finding out who is calling you is whocalled.us. There is a place for comments from others that can provide some interesting reading.

The government's do not call list is https://www.donotcall.gov/. Allow a reasonable amount of time for the list to go into effect before turning someone in. You can list your home phone, and your cell phone with them. Yes, it works...

4. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is a chronic scam going around -- MSNBC article. My girlfriend has gotten calls on her cell phone, which is explicitly illegal. Also, she doesn't own a car.

So they don't know you have a car or the state of your warranty, they're just calling randomly. It's not Toyota.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I played the old guy with a little dementia (turned out it was a little too easy.) I think we went about 10-15 minutes and my wife was rolling on the floor.

Besides the phone number, they have the vehicle registration date. They don't know the miles, make, model or age of the car. So if you bought a used car, they make the same offer.

One thing I haven't tried is, "Oh, I sold that car and don't have a car any longer. I just take the bus and walk to the store."

Another option,"Didn't you hear? I had a terrible accident and totaled the car and the judge took away my driver's license."

A third option,"Oh I got so tried of that nonsense, I sold the car and now lease one. If you want, you could call the dealer but I don't have to worry about maintenance any longer."

Bob Wilson

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The solicitations are not only by phone, they also come in the mail. We've received both. The mail gets a trip to the recycle bin and the phone calls get the old hang up.

7. Jedi2099

Jedi2099 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i got those calls for like 6 months on my direct line at work not long ago. Apperently the person who worked in my position before me got her number on one of those lists and i lost count of how many "This is your final call" messages id find on my voicemail.

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Alanh, thanks for the article. Sounds exactly like what's happening to me. But I don't see how they can call me "randomly" on my cell phone number. I generally hold onto that number pretty tightly. That is one of the things that bothers me most -- who is distributing this number?

From the article:

So like I said, I'm not optimistic the Do Not Call list would be heeded by these folks. Especially... umm, Evan ;) ... in MO. Here's more:

Firepa63, yes, I've seen them come by letter, though not to me. Coincidentally, this morning my fiancee showed me one she got in the mail a few days ago from a company with a mailing address in ... [drum roll, please] ... St. Louis. :glare:

9. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got a bunch of ther St. louis ones about a year ago.

10. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think they're dialling numbers sequentially or at random, which is how they get cell phone numbers. This is, as I said, illegal.

11. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    These sorts of calls are why I stopped using an answering machine years ago. I screen the calls for Caller ID and if I don't recognize it I don't answer. After a couple of times not getting even a machine to pick up, the calls end. (I also do web look ups for ones I think might be legit.)

It is sad that as communications tech has advanced the phone has become less usable rather than moreso. There was a time when I could actually reliably reach folks by phone, and they could reach me. Now everyone is trying to call dead celphone numbers or have no reception in their area and calls are rarely returned because of the amount of spamming--either than or you end up in automated answering hell.

e-mail has suffered similarly. There was a time when e-mail was reasonably quick and useful, but it has been spammed to death and become increasingly unreliable for communicating with friends and family. Fast revolving e-mail addresses and phone numbers make it hard to keep track anymore.

12. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm on the Texas no-call list and I got one of these (recorded, of course) a while back. i googled the number and it turned out to be a private number in Pennsylvania... i hung up after i heard something about a warranty, of which I already have

13. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I get these on my work phone and cell phone. The latter is on the national no-call list. It makes no difference. They come from Las Vegas. Since I don't know anyone in NV, I've quit taking them or let them go to voice mail at work.

I'm assuming that pressing "2" just confirms that they aren't calling an out-of-service number.

My Mom in CA is getting them, from St Louis.

Hopefully, the authorities can get them.

14. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got my 157th Final notice yesterday. Thank goodness for CID and answering machines. I did answer once and asked "Oh! which car does your records show is about to expire?" There was a click and then no one was there. Another time I asked what was the extended warranty for a car with over 100K on it. Click again. I guess we just live with it. We usually don't pick up any more unless we recognize the CID. It's easy enough to call right back if it's someone we didn't recognize or want to talk to. Sorry if that sounds rude. I've also learned to say "No thank you, We're not interested at this time.", and hang up right in the middle of their "managing objections" script. My favorite is a comedian, don't remember who", said his 3 year old loved to talk on the phone and he would say "Just a minute please" and hand the phone to his 3 year old.

15. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Probably the same group that prompted me to start this thread in March:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/44587-pressured-buy-extended-warrenty-now-now-now.html

Since that thread, they have called back once. At least they're organized. The first time, they said it was about to expire. The second time, they said it had expired, but they're offering a one time chance to renew. Both times they had my name, so it wasn't random dialing.

Of course after the first time, I put their phone number into google, and found they've got two "scams" running. One a 'lower your credit card payments by paying us', and one 'sell you a extended warranty and deny everything'.

Of note, on the second call they specifically claimed that they handle all Toyota warranty extensions. And they claimed that because of this, since I owned a Toyota, we had a 'prior business relationship', and the do not call list does not apply. I told them if they called a third time, I'd head right off to the FCC complaint page and test that theory... They have not called again.

But I did enjoy stringing them along for 45 minutes the second time. Someone, somewhere, expectantly wasted nearly an hour of their life while I claimed to be looking up my warranty, researching my options, when in fact I was playing the silly flash game they interrupted when they called....

-Ken

16. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has anyone tried saying, "I'm sorry, he/she is dead." (Hint, if you really want to rattle them follow up with a Tony Soprano impersonation and say, "Would you like to leave a message?")

17. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a similar instance of this with my Honda. After actually speaking to a rep for quite some time leading her on about being interested, I asked where she got my information. She stated it was from the company my bank deals with through their car loans, and some bs about how they want you to keep full warranty coverage on the car while your still making payments. She couldn't give me information on the bank's name or any other connecting information. Lucky they didn't call back after I finally talked with them.

I spoke with the bank after that, and they don't use any outside service or company with regards to trying to get you extended warranty coverage.

In today's age, its hard to tell where they get this information from, the sources could be endless. Just beware and never give out or confirm any information if you do ever speak with them. :rolleyes:

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. Randall Rash

Randall Rash Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do my best to slow 'em down. Figuring they have been instructed to NEVER let a potential sale off the hook, I say "Please wait while I get a pen" and lay the phone down while I go outside and play with my dog and relax.

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was another thread on this recently which didn't pop up right away on my initial search. But I wanted to post a VERY positive update.

Sometime earlier this year this company did call my home despite my being on the no call list. I sort of led them along far enough to get a name for the company and a specific name for the caller so that I could report them.

I filled out an online report to the MO No-Call after doing a bit of online research to get a main office address, e-mail, phone and a list of other complaints.

Well, today in the mail I got a letter from the MO Atty. Gen. office tellling me that my report secured a promise to stop soliciting in MO AND they have to pay a fine of $80,000.00!!! Wish I got a share of that or taxes forgiven for a year or something, but I LOVE that I stuck it to a no-good scam artist. Hopefully it's the first of many and the beginning of the end for this company.:cheer2: