1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Annoying features that you have turned down or off?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by GeoJ, Aug 6, 2023.

1. GeoJ

GeoJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I've had this car about a month now. Love it. But some of the features are annoying and I am considering turning them off, or making less sensitive, if it they can be turned off or adjusted. I would be interested in what features other owners have found annoying and adjusted, as well as the pros/cons.

1. I will start by saying I have already turned off the driver attention monitor. Did that in the first week, as it was too annoying and I really didn't see that it was a helpful safety feature.
    2. The all around bumper warning thing (not sure what they call it) is way too sensitive and makes it sound like you will hit a car when parking when in fact you have much more space. I find it annoying and not that helpful so would at least make it much less sensitive or turn it off. I have not yet checked to see if this can be done. I don't see that it is an essential safety feature, worst that will happen if you miss is you at very low speed (parking) touch another car. Obviously, I'd prefer not to but also this feature actually I think is making it harder for me to park because it scares the shxx out of me.
    3. Lane assist feature is somewhat annoying because of the steering you back to center when you have a reason to not be in center. But, you can over ride it pretty easily with your manual steering, and I do see a potential safety benefit so for now will likely leave it on.
    3. The front traffic assist (crossing traffic safety feature, whatever they call it) seems too sensitive. It warns when it seems not necessary. Not all that annoying since it doesn't happen often, so I will likely leave it as it has some safety benefit, I think.
    4. Seatbelt unbuckle warning when you get in the car is too loud, but I assume there is no authorized fix for that.

Curious what other owners of this new gen Prius think. Thanks.

TGrracie and brucewil like this.
  2. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Turned off the attention driver as well. It doesn't work well with blue eyes. Seems to not detect them very well and blares all the time.

for 2 and 4, you can adjust the sensitivity of the parking sensors. I do not remember if it's in the car directly or if you need an OBD adapter like Carista but I recall seeing a setting for it. For 4, in Carista you can turn on the alarm per driver, passenger, or back seats independently. That alarm has to be one of the most obnoxious I've ever heard in a car.

3. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I think the parking assist sensors are extraordinarily helpful. I had them in the 2019 because I had self-park (for whatever reason). When I learned the G5 had them standard, I was overjoyed. Maybe give yourself a bit more time to get used to them. But it's your call. If you ever scrape the side of your car entering/exiting a door/gate/tunnel/etc., you will curse the day you turned them off.

Now the seatbelt alarms are going to get turned off the second I have my first service lol. What a ridiculous "feature". They shut off the seatbelt as well as the backup beep on my 2019.

I will also be asking them if there's any way to quiet the Star Trek noise (which gets even LOUDER in reverse for some reason). I'm pretty much used to it now. But quieter would be so nice!

4. David Mk.2

David Mk.2 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The rear seat warning when you exit the vehicle. They made it so sensitive that it triggers randomly when there is nothing in the back seat. I don't have children or pets so there is zero reason for me to consider having it on

TGrracie, TwoGeeks and HacksawMark like this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is there actually a sensor to detect things in the seat, or is it simply whether the rear door was opened at the beginning of the trip?

6. GeoJ

GeoJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Well today I had the experience of while backing out of a parking spot directly onto a road the automatic "brake" activated with the big red "BRAKE" on the dash. It is a hard brake, and startling. I put went forward a bit to remove it (not sure if there is another way), and then proceeded to back up into a clear street. I guess this was activated because when I first started to back up a car passed on the street, on the side I would back up into. But that car had completely passed when I backed and the auto brake hit. So, while on the one hand I like the safety feature of the auto brake, especially if it avoids me hitting something I am backing into, on the other hand based on this experience I think it is possibly too sensitive, or too much of a delay (once a car has passed, I would want to be able to back into the street in my situation, before another car coming down the street prevents it). I will see if this happens again, but if it does I will unfortunately conclude that this feature is one I don't want, and I will live with the back-up camera, my own eyes, and driving abilities to avoid backup problems - that is, IF this feature can be adjusted or turned off.

7. theRob

theRob Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I disabled the Music tab from the instrument cluster as it is redundant and makes getting to other tabs an extra button press.

8. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a setting to edit which tabs you see in the instrument cluster? I don't remember seeing that

There's a "reminder" that was turned on in my car when I got it. Basically, it doesn't matter if it detects anything or open the rear door. Whenever you turn it off, it rings to remind you to check the back seat

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I can see that becoming useless. Either it gets turned off, or people just tune it out over time.

With the Outback, it only came on if a rear door at been out at the start of the trip.

10. theRob

theRob Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    It’s only to remove the music tab (audio tab) from the instrument cluster. You can’t customize the tabs. I really wish you could. That would have been a really nice useful feature.

To disable the music tab go to settings> meter settings> then go audio setting (has a music icon) and there is an option to enable and disable audio tab.

leftbrarian and Jeffnorton like this.
  11. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    oh boy i have blue eyes AND glasses, cant imagine it will work well for me. Too bad i was excited about this as the idea of falling asleep at the wheel on a highway on a late night drive back home kinda terrifies me

12. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have mirrored sunglasses I usually drive with and it works fine with it oddly enough. I haven't tried with just regular glasses but the blue eyes was such a weird thing. Could maybe work better for you with the glasses on!

I haven't seen anyone else mention the issue with blue eyes on forums or groups. I'd be curious if others experienced it, too.

13. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Yes, the driver attention signal is annoying and the parking assistance brake is too sensitive, but after two weeks I haven't adjusted them or turned anything off except the music tab. As far as I'm concerned, if either feature saves me from a scratch (and I did manage to scrape my previous Prime a couple times while parking) or from falling asleep at the wheel, they're doing their job and I'm grateful for them.

Preebee likes this.
  14. flarecde

flarecde Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The parking assist brake is so aggressive I thought I hit the curb a couple times when it went off. Because the grass coming up off the curb is so very, very threatening. Prius does not want to touch grass.

daisy555, David Mk.2 and Preebee like this.
  15. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I encountered that backing up against a treacherous paper bag of yard waste.

16. yarrh

yarrh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    When the parking assist brake is disabled, the instrument panel always starts with a warning that this feature is disabled. Is there any way to turn off this warning so we don't have to clear it every time we start the car?

17. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The "Check the rear seat" warning caught me off guard the first time. I checked and had a rear seat! I thought maybe I hadn't latched the seatbacks or something, then read the manual in a store parking lot. Now that I know what it is, it isn't so bad and on the fence if I will disable it or not. Agree the driver attention and parking sensors could be a little less agressive and may tinker with them later (only had the car a week), but for now want to try and see if I can adjust to the car rather than the other way around.

purplePriii likes this.
  18. MyPriusMarvin

MyPriusMarvin Member

My check the rear seat warning only seems to go off when I open the rear door and place something back there, like my gym bag. It did startle me though.

19. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    MyPriusMarvin: Yep, that is how it is supposed to work. The manual says if you open and close a rear door (and none of the seat sensors trigger) and then start the car within 30 seconds it assumes you put something back there and will trigger the alarm when you next turn off the ignition. I kinda see the logic with hindsight (hence not disabling it yet), but it was certainly confusing the first time!

I thought I'd notice the red dash strip blink when the car starts ahead of me at a light, but it is so subtle to me that unless I'm staring at it and purposely triggering it, I've yet to notice.

will

MyPriusMarvin likes this.
  20. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Addendum: Now that I've had the car a WHOLE WEEK, I think the first feature I may turn off is the automatic seat retraction thingy. I do like the seat pretty far forward, but even so, don't think I need the seat retracted to get in/out of the car. That seems to be unnecessary wear and tear on the seat motors.

will