1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Annoying noise in hatch area - help?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fatfenders, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

This is a stretch, but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has any annoying body type noise in the hatch area (and fixed it!). This noise can occur at very slow speed (5mph in my driveway) and is not related to hitting any bumps. I folded the seat down and laid back there while my wife drove slowly around the block.

The best I can tell, it seems to be coming from the left rear, somewhere between the rear seat and the back of the car. It sounds like it is coming from inside the car. I can only describe it as a muffled metallic tap/creak (I'm guessing as the body flexes.) I've pushed and pulled on trim as we drove around. Nothing I did increased or decreased the noise. Thought it might have been the rubber bumper the hatch rests against when closed. Coated it with silicone spray same noise, slipped a piece of paper over the bumper and closed the hatch over it - nothing changed.

I'm real close to tearing out all the plastic on that side to see if it stops and if so, replace pieces one at a time unit the noise it back. Is there a trick to removing the panel the shade hooks into? There's one 10mm bolt at the rear and one up toward the rear seat.

I removed the box above the spare, the panel between it and the rear seat and the storage cubby on the left rear. I could get me hand up under that panel through the access hole by the tailight. I could feel the cable for the fuel door and some other wiring. I can't help but think it may be a harness or something that is pressed up against the body and moves ever so slightly when the body flexes, just enough to make it creak.

Interior creaks and rattles drive me nuts in any vehicle, let alone a 2007 with only 4000 miles on it! :angry:

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You could take a 2007 with 4000 miles in to the dealer for your 5000 mile oil change and complain about the noise. Yeah, I know, chances aren't good you will get satisfaction.

No magic to removing the trim, just remove the bolts and yank (carefully). Most trim parts are just held in place with plastic clips. Get some good sound deadening material and slap it on the sheet metal while you can see it. Makes the car much quieter...

(I recommend RAAMat.)

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With a car that new, why not try to have the dealer fix it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 17 2007, 02:37 AM) [snapback]407326[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe I've just been lucky, but my dealer was very good about fixing the rattle or two I had with my truck, so it probably doesn't hurt to ask. I must admit, though, I've not taken our Prius in for squeaks or rattles, the only one that's really bothered me was the lower glove box and I fixed that one myself with some adhesive weatherstrip that I had laying around. I'm probably gonna do something to help quiet mine down more when I replace the speakers this spring, and I've used this company in the past and been very happy with the quality and price, www.b-quiet.com , especially compared to dynamat etc.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The plastic loop broke off my oil dipstick. Next oil change I mentioned it. They replaced it for free "under warranty". Now they could have said no, but I'm sure they did because it was a small item and by doing it they made it clear they appreciated my business in the service department and wanted me to keep coming back. And since I took it in for regular servicing and they're the only ones that changed the oil, they couldn't say they didn't break it.

5. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fatfenders @ Mar 17 2007, 05:02 AM) [snapback]407257[/snapback]</div>
    Here's a link to Rear Rattle Fixed by dqw http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=29341&hl=hatch
    (whom I think should be entered into the hall of fame for it) - I'd been stuggling for several months and was just about resigned to stripping out all the trim in an effort to find the rattle.
    I HATE rattles !
    You have to use something fairly thick - I used that felt stuff you normally put under furniture legs which I cut into strips and stuck onto those rubber blocks in the hatch.

The only other rattle I found - by stripping out the trim and have my son lie in the back - came from the small triangular rear window. I wedged a small piece of felt in between the glass and the body. Sorted.
    Then had to put all the trim back again....

6. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

Thanks for the replies. I agree, since it is under warranty, we're going to have the dealer find it. I just thought someone may have had a similar situation and could save me the trouble of taking it to the dealer.

My wife has a few days off next week and is going to take it in. Hopefully the "service" people are a little more customer focused than they were during a recent oil change. :blink: My wife was not impressed on her first visit to Jon Lancaster Toyota Service in Madison, WI. :angry:

They had better be able to find the problem as it is very noticable. I still think it's a body flex issue...we'll see. :unsure:

7. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinball @ Mar 17 2007, 03:12 PM) [snapback]407508[/snapback]</div>
    Problem found. One of the brackets holding the hybrid battery in place was not (as the tech described it) under tension. He adjusted the bracket so it had tension on it and the noise is gone. :D

8. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had a rattle back there somewhere for a long time. Being hard of hearing it has not bothered me but I guess my passengers may have wondered what it was.
    Last week I got personalised number plates and set to to replace the dealer fitted plates.
    I found that the plates were held on by two screws high up on the plates which allowed the bottom to move considerable. The new plates have a much more rigid mounting bracket and with only the two screws are really solidly attached.
    The rattle has now gone so it may be worth tightening the mounting screws or putting padding behind the rear plate if you have a rattle back there that you cannot find