1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

annoying pop ups

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ctbering, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    its too bad that we are now being harrassed on this site with pop ups and questionnaires. Why? Why? Why do the members have to be harrassed here too?

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    well I hate them as much as anyone, but please understand that it costs a whole lot of money for the type of bandwidth that I assume PriusChat is using. I will take the ads and I prefer it to the alternatives, which would be no more priuschat, or subscription only membership.

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    subscription membership wouldnt scare me away. In fact it would straighten out the issue of hate Prii trolls as they dont think their speech is worth paying for!

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ramblin
    Did you notice, about 8 or so columns down that there's a specific column to post in, regarding web issues? NO? How’d I know. :p
    Next, did you know there’s a TON of free software app’s that disable the little commercial screens that come up? Ok, there you go.

5. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Its very possible I did not see a notice eight columns down. I did not get my fiber quota for the morning and I get cranky. I do avoid the add-on software for pop ups. Some of these are mal-ware as well. I did find that once i took the ridiculous questionnaire on Prius Chat it stopped appearing, at least on this computer. I am not sure what they will extrapolate from the answers......perhaps its like the Seifeld apisode about 'NOTHIN'!

6. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't see any pop-up ads on my Priuschat browsing.

7. avayadel

avayadel New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't either,what kind of virus protection do you have. I have Kaspersky.

8. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The pop ups/scrolling ads have been a topic in two other thread, which might help shine some light on there use.

http://priuschat.com/forums/priuschat-website-questions/53152-pop-up-adds.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/priuschat-website-questions/53576-expanding-banner-ads-must-die.html

The ads help Danny run the site. The revenue brought in from the ads help foot the server bill. The scrolling ad with Safecount.net on it was part of the Sharp ad and only supposed to show up once every 24 hours, but obviously was showing up more than that. The software such as Adblock will stop the ads from showing up, but it will also take away the ad count and in return somewhat hurt PriusChat, well at least that is what I have been told.

9. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have become very adept and skilled at moving the mouse AROUND the ads, and using the margins when navigating the page. I didn't even know there were add-ons to "block" the ads!I'm not going to use them though, I've spent too much time learning my new navskillz to abandon them...and I believe in free enterprise. If Prius Chat exists because of the ads, then so be it. It's a small sacrifice compared to the grand scheme.

Dave

10. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did not complain about the pop ups without an understanding that Danny (who I understand is a great guy), did not benefit in such a manner that he could improve Prius Chat. I really appreciate Prius Chat in many ways. I was surprised seeing these ads recently. I also thought Danny subsidized Prius Chat with Prius Shop. I didn't mind completing the multiple questions if I only have to do it once. I was seeing these ads every time I went to a new page. Today, I finally took time and answered the questions., not because I wanted to but because:
    1) i dont want to see the pop up appear again
    2) I want to support Prius Chat
    If a member posts a complaint about the pop-ups within a site I find it interesting other members ask about why I don't add software programs full of adware to prevent pop ups. The site controls what pop-ups appear, members don't. Some of us prefer to use Macs where you are not required to jam your computer with software protection because the operating system is problematic. I still use PC's and have been weaned on them so I am not trying be wave the flag for Apple or bury the PC....and I hope Danny and Prius Chat are successful for years to come. Terry

11. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think that people will tell you to use an adblock program because they do not know that it hurts the site revenue. Also with a Mac you can install the Adblock program and it will block all popup ads, at least it will do that in safari.