1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Accident-What To Look For?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by John6012, Mar 10, 2010.

1. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have an 07 Prius with 29,000 miles. A car came out of a side street and hit the right frt fender (passenger side) smashed the bumper and broke the plastics around the headlight. Are there any things I need to look out for before it gets out of the shop? The are replacing the bumper, fender, air breather resonator, Frt bumper impact absorber and odds and ends which aren't significant. It did bend a metal support structure behind the right frt fender. It is very drivable (once I pulled the fender off the tire) and I drove it to the body shop. Total amount of damage/labor/parts: $2575.52. So, my question again: Is there any further damage I should be concerned with? Thanks!

2. bw03

bw03 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The body shop should be able to find all the problems when they fix it. A lot of times, things don't show up until they take the car all apart.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The parts you listed sound reasonable.

Good thing the LF fender wasn't hit, as the engine coolant heat recovery canister would probably have been nailed. Besides being a costly part, that would require the engine coolant to be drained and refilled (an issue as it appears some mechanics have trouble getting the air out.)

4. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for your replies! We rec'd the Prius fresh from the shop today and I noted that the hood/fender has a gap of ~1/2" on the wrecked side and 1/4" on the drivers side. The guy said it was an aftermarket fender and they don't always fit perfectly but he would work with it to adjust/move the hood laterally to reduce the gap. It is so obvious when one looks at the car that it has been in an accident. (I hate it when a car is in an accident because it is never the same). Car runs great, everything works as it should except for the gap. With 29,000 miles, I'll have to drive this 07 4-5 more years then it'll be down in value to where it should be...But, I am taking it back to have the "hood" adjusted!

5. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I forgot to mention, I loosened the bolts the fasten the hinge to the hood and there is no lateral adjustment.....down beneath and behind is the bolts that fasten the hinge to the body will they adjust laterally?

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    John, did you agree to aftermarket parts? Since it is the other party's dime I would have insisted on new or salvage (if perfect) body panels.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very sorry to hear you are having this problem. I think that you should reasonably expect the repaired car to have the same panel gaps as a Prius fresh off the boat from Japan. Besides the uneven gap, are you satisfied with the paint job: the color, texture, distribution of pearl or mica flakes etc.?

It sounds like the new fender needs to be adjusted, not the hood. If the shop can't adjust the panels to spec, I'd encourage you to request that they install a salvage part or Toyota new part.

8. justin time

justin time Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What prompted you to use that shop? They sound pretty flakey.

From everything I've read on these cars, seems like the dealer is the place to go for most repairs, especially major ones. That's why I avoided salvage title cars when shopping for one.

9. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am going back to the body shop and am going to ask them that they put a OEM fender on the Prius. Hate to do it but it is so obvious and when it comes to trade-in time....but it'll be another 3 years.

10. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Aligning the front end body panels is tough. I took me many, many hours to get ours looking decent.