1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Amazement Discovery!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by paprius4030, Oct 26, 2004.

1. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My Prius never ceses to amaze me with some new found feature. Now that it's cold in the am I have the heat on when i drive to work. Specifically i had the heat and defrost button on (farthest right button) and the temp control was set at 70 but the a/c auto was off. Driving to work I noticed the fan was at medium. When I came out from work in a few hours the car was cold again and I noticed no fan at all the the same button (heat and defrost) was selected. After driving about 1 mile the fan all of a sudden turns on by itself. I have to assume theres a sensor that doesn't activate the fan until the coolant gets hot enough to make some heat, thereby not blowing cold air on your legs. Am i correct in this assumption guys and gals?

2. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You are correct. But it's actually even better than that. Before the coolant warms up, there are electric heating elements to heat the air. Since the electric heaters can't put out as much heat as the yet to be heated coolant, the fan runs at a reduced speed so the air won't be too cool. As the temperature of the coolant comes up, the fan also increases speed.

3. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    8AA thanks alot for the info!! Now I'm even More Amazed LOL
    I love this car!

4. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Paprius, your driveway/Prius location in your avatar is beautiful.

5. mmccking

mmccking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not to rudely burst your bubble, but this has been a fairly common "feature" in many Toyota cars since at least 1988 when I owned a Celica All-Trac Turbo with automatic A/C. As it turns out, I've only owned Toyotas/Lexus since so I can't comment on other makes.

6. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Gurmail, it is my driveway. mmc, this is the first toyota I'ver ever owned, I know alot about chrysler products but still learning about toyota's