1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Aux question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priusnerd, Apr 11, 2007.

1. priusnerd

priusnerd New Member

I've scoured the boards and haven't been able to come up with an answer for my problem. My problem is I just got a MP3 player I want to run through my car stereo speakers.

-I've tried the FM modulator but around where I live the reception is pretty bad.
    -I've read about the aux box but I have a 2004 basic with a Toyota cd changer I added after I bought it and from my understanding you can't have both since they use the same port on the head unit. I'd like to keep the cd changer.

I was looking over the Internet for other possibilities and came across someone who added an aux input jack by combining the left and right speaker wires from the cd changer with the input jack wires and adding a toggle switch. I was thinking of doing something similar with my prius. Has anyone done this? Would anyone suggest not doing this?

http://mattgilbert.uncommondialogue.com/carstereoauxinput/

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is out of my range of expertise but that guide wouldn't exactly apply since you wouldn't and couldn't be tapping the signal from a cd changer to the radio, but the one from the radio to the amp. That's a very touchy thing to mess around with since in the Prius it's not just an audio signal that's sent but data and commands as well.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I installed a DICE iPod unit in my 2005. It comes with a pass-through Y-cable so you can plug it in between the head unit and an external source, such as a sat radio or big CD changer. It also has an AUX port. That unit may be overkill if you won't use the iPod connection, but they may make a similar AUX only box. You might ask them.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 11 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]421928[/snapback]</div>

And they do, they do indeed.

5. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I installed the Audiovox FM Modulator (FMM100A). It works just fine for what I need it to do. It doesn't take up the CD changer port either. A cheaper (but similar) option would be the Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator.

These option would interrupt the FM signal from the radio antenna when powered on. No static, no station bleed.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Apr 12 2007, 09:58 AM) [snapback]422056[/snapback]</div>

....and you also lose sound quality.

7. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 12 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]422071[/snapback]</div>
    True, but IMO that would only matter if you're an audiofile. I do like my music to not have static, but anything above and beyond that isn't as important to me.

8. priusnerd

priusnerd New Member

I'll have to look into both those options.

Bill Merchant - I didn't know the DICE had a Y Cable I thought it was one or the other. How do you switch between the DICE and a cd changer, is there a switch?

Skwyre7 - How was the installation for the fm modulator? Where did you install it? I would imagine the sound from an FM modulator would sound the same as a radio station but without the static, correct?

Thanks

9. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusnerd @ Apr 12 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]422095[/snapback]</div>
    The installation wasn't very difficult. Instead of hardwiring the unit into the 12v wires, I wired it to a 12v accessory plug I had lying around. It does take up one of my 12v outlets, but I'm fine with that. The unit is currently living behind the lower plastic piece under the radio/tray (the same trim piece that has the 12v outlet). You are right about the sound - just like radio. It's not the best, but I can live with it.

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusnerd @ Apr 12 2007, 11:01 AM) [snapback]422095[/snapback]</div>

No, all you do is push the CD button on the radio again to switch between the CD changer and the DICE unit.

11. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Like Vagabond said, it's a logical switch, not a physical one. CD1 is the built in CD changer, CD2 is the DICE iPod unit. The head unit "talks" to the source units. Since the head unit doesn't know what an iPod is, the DICE device tells the head unit it is a CD changer with six disks, them maps selection of those virtual disks to functions of the iPod, like Next Playlist. Disk 6 on the CD2 screen is the DICE's AUX input, IIRC. You choose the function you want (virtual disk) on the MFD screen.

It's not nearly as confusing to use as it is to describe. :rolleyes:

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 12 2007, 11:41 PM) [snapback]422442[/snapback]</div>

Mmm, Disc 6 will bring up the Version of the DICE kit.

Disc 5 allows you to switch the AUX/3.5mm jack on and off. Go to Disc 5, Track 2 to activate it.

While you have it on, you can tweak the Gain, Bass, Mid, and Treble by using CD's 1, 2, 3, 4 respectively. You can then use the seek buttons to move the settings up and down. Gain has a default setting of 68, and the rest have a default of 50.

The gain is really useful if you have a mp3 player or something that you have to run on batteries, you can turn down the volume on the mp3 player and increase the Gain, saving you some battery life.

13. priusnerd

priusnerd New Member

Currently, I have the single CD player that came with the car and a second Toyota CD changer that I installed after the fact in the space under the head unit. Right now the CD button switches between single CD player and CD changer. Can I install the DICE unit with this setup? I thought I've read you can't and if the CD button only switches between 2 devices I don't think it will do what I want.

I could always remove the CD changer and install a DICE or Aux-Box unit. But it plays CDs so much better than the single CD player. The single CD player has been getting worse. It has trouble reading homemade CD's and usually skips once or twice per store bought CD's. Whereas the CD changer will play the same CD without a problem. Maybe if there is a way to solve the single CD problem I could then just remove the CD changer and go about this same way everyone else has. Thanks for the help.

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusnerd @ Apr 16 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]424125[/snapback]</div>

It would depend on the year of your Prius. If you have an 04-05 then you would most likely have to pull the 6-cd changer. If it's an 06-07 you'll be fine since you can use the DICE kit in MP3 or SAT mode.

You should be able to use the kit in SAT mode in a 04-05, but I can't remember so I'll double check.

15. priusnerd

priusnerd New Member

I have a 2004 Prius with the basic package, no nav or JBL system.

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusnerd @ Apr 16 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]424211[/snapback]</div>

We know for sure the 05 does, and since the 04 and 05 are the same headunits you'll be fine. You won't have to lose your CD changer. You'll just press the AM button to activate the unit.

17. priusnerd

priusnerd New Member

So I can access the dice unit using the AM button? I thought it worked by spoofing a CD changer? I looked into the DICE unit but it seems a little too expensive for what I want. Its $143 and since I'm only going to use the AUX input thats more than what I want to pay. I looked for the aux only box but couldn't find it, I could only find ipod integration boxes that happen to have an aux input.

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusnerd @ Apr 19 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]426216[/snapback]</div>

It can mimic a CD changer, a SAT radio and depending on the year of the car a MP3 changer and a MD changer.

You'll get the iPod part as well for that price. You may want to PM Danny and ask him about a AUX only piece.

19. priusnerd

priusnerd New Member

Thanks for the help, I'll PM Danny to find out about the Aux piece.