1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another "Bell the Hybrid" article

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Nov 25, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    General Motors works to give electric cars a little noise - USATODAY.com

I've noticed that vehicles not in production seem to have these systems promised. In contrast, those who actually make hybrids and electric vehicles are wise enough to "study." But turn-signal, relay clicks external to the cabin may make sense.

Many of us know the turn signal click helps us to remember to turn off the signal. It is a good thing so I have no problem with turn signal clicks being co-located with the turn signal lights. The purpose of a light is to signal intent and I have no problem with an audio-click, identical to a turn signal relay click, external to the car. However, I don't for a second believe it would have a measurable effect in urban traffic. The problem of 'hiding in the noise' remains.

One good change is we're seeing more admission that this is an access problem, not a safety problem. That is because no one has found credible traffic statistics showing there is a hazard. It is just not there and the NFB have had sympathetic experts at the NHTSA trying to make a silk purse from what isn't there. Then there is the elephant in the room, 4,200 pedestrian deaths last year.

One irony in life is as the number of hybrids has increased, the vehicle and pedestrian rates continue to decline. I don't for a second believe this is due to hybrids being more prevalent but more likely a result of higher fuel costs moderating the speeds of all drivers. We buy hybrids to save fuel but ordinary gas drivers have to deal with raw fuel costs by either driving less or driving slower ... sarendipity.

Bob Wilson

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    While walking across a parking lot on my lunch break today, I heard the whirr of a Prius electric motor behind me, turned around and made eye contact with the driver, then proceeded. If a person with perfect vision can hear a Prius, then I'm sure the acute hearing of a blind person certainly can. Most notably though, the driver of the Prius - who is responsible for where they point their car and what they run into - had slowed down instead of running me over just as that driver would have done had they been driving any other vehicle. On the other hand, a few seconds later, I walked by a Tesla (I'm stoked!!! That is an AWESOME car!!!) that was pulling out and driving away and it was SILENT (likely due to the superior engineering compared to the Prius. :D hahaha. just kidding - I really have no idea which is better).

Edit: Whether the sound of a car is present or not, I always look anyway before
    stepping off of a curb. duh!

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  4. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid