1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Camera Install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Frozzie, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Frozzie

Frozzie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I just had my 2010 Prius (Gen III 2009 model in Aus) for a couple of days and already the wife is asking about potential mods starting with a reverse camera.

I've read numerous thread on here but considering I have no MFD, I was wondering if I could go with something basic like :
    - a camera hooked up to the reverse light that fits in the filler
    - some wireless transceivers
    - a small monitor in the central console/armrest

This should limit cabling to the strict minimum (12V from the reverse light, no cables to run in panels), have a semi factory exterior look and a display not taking dash space.
    Any advices / recommendations ?

2. Frozzie

Frozzie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Answering my own questions :) as it might soon become a journal.
    So, checked the little car tv monitors and didn't really liked them (taking a lot of space for limited use).
    Back to the drawing board and i thought about something like a video hooked up to wifi. I could then reuse an old smartphone as a monitor (and in the future OBD tool).
    I found some kits on eBay but all relying on some dodgy app (as in, not quite sure about support).
    Being on the geeky side here is the current plan :
    - Connect reverse light 12v and ground to a CCD prius camera (eBay)
    - Connect another set of wires to a 12v-to-5V converter with micro-USB output
    - Hook-up a TP-Link WR703N (flashed with OpenWRT) to micro-USB
    - connect an RCA-to-USB adapter to USB
    - connect the CCD video output to the adapter
    - Install additional software on OpenWRT to stream video

Everything should only come online when reverse is on with hopefully a fast boot on OpenWRT then unlock the phone, access the little shortcut to open the webpage accessing the router ... done
    Plain CCD+Monitor is AUD$40, with wireless AUD$60-70 ... this one AUD$75
    Minimal cabling, minimal electrical work, easily removable and increased geek factor ... or is it just plain crazy?

3. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I highly doubt it'll boot up fast enough for you to see the camera image in time to make full use of the reverse camera. The OEM camera takes about 1 second for the rear camera image to show up on the screen. Even then, sometimes I feel that the image can't show up fast enough.
    You should look into a rear view mirror with video screen built in. Also check ebay. there are many rear view mirror LCDs and wireless rear camera packages.