1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Clear Bra thread

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by staze, Dec 21, 2006.

1. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All,

I got my 07 Touring SPM less than 2 weeks ago, and managed to pick up a chip on the hood that went clear through to the metal (seemingly) after about a week. Really bummed me out. So, knowing that it could cost me upwards of $50-100 to have it fixed only to get another one, I was really excited to hear about the clear bra that 3m offers.

So, in calling around, I found a place up north (Portland area) that will do the job for $895 (and repair the chip for free). This seems a bit high, but he says he uses more than the typical install (I think he said 18 inches on the hood, which I guess would mean 18 inches up the hood, rather than across). Does the hood, bumper, door cups, rear bumper, mirrors, and I think other stuff that I can't remember.

Is this a horrid price? I really don't like the idea of having chips on my new nearly $30k baby, and it seems like this would be a good option. In reading, I'm definitely going to check out their work, and make sure the place is clean, etc. Anything else I should look for? He does a lot of work with probably the largest toyota dealer in Oregon (Russ/Beaverton), and they are quite happy with him.

Any advice would be great. He can do it tomorrow if I'm willing... so the sooner the advice, the better.

Thanks!

2. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My VentureShield clear bra cost me $520 installed. I called around first and found other prices ranging from what I paid up to $900. So I guess it pays to shop around. Mine included the front bumper, up the hood just short of where the headlights end, the headlights, and mirrors. So not the door cups and rear bumper. (Is doing the rear bumper really necessary? Maybe not doing it will save you some money...)

Have you called any other places? If you don't have your heart set on 3M specifically, you might want to consider the VentureShield brand--there might be places out there that install this and not 3M that might be less expensive.

Good luck!

3. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The price really depends on whether there's competition where you live. I tried finding a 3M installer in New Jersey and found one listed about 30 miles away, but when I called it turned out they'd moved so they were more like 70 miles away from me, and the guy seemed reluctant to even give me a quote let alone an appointment. So I tried the next-nearest one and didn't even get an answer from the phone call. Then I tried Venture Shield - and couldn't find any of the installers they listed in New Jersey. I finally found an installer who'd do it at a place close to me for $795, so I did it (I called the installation company's home office and could have had it done at their site about 40 miles away for $750, but I went with the local installation for the convenience).

So I had to pay more because I don't live in an area where there's much competition for clear bras - but it was still worth it. My car is white, and it had gotten several scratches on the bumper (which they were able to buff out, fortunately), and people don't see the clear bra unless they look for it (or if I go several weeks between car washes and some dirt accumulates along the edges on the back of my outside mirrors, like now!).

4. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm calling around, and while I have found as low as $595, they don't do the rear bumper, door cups, etc... and more than likely won't do the paint chip repair for free.

Think it's probably going to come down to meeting the guy, seeing his shop, and feeling out the whole thing there. maybe even try to talk him down, though I worry about doing that sometimes because they might give you less service.

Here's hoping....

5. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

We're lucky here in So Cal, have a very good guy that is doing hood, fender, bumper, mirrors, door edge, door cups, and the top of the back bumper for $400. So yes it really depends on where you leave and what the competition is like.

Ken

6. rockefella

rockefella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(H2OSkier @ Dec 24 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]366293[/snapback]</div>

Ken, I'm in Los Angeles, just picked up a 2007 Prius and would like to get the clear bra installed. Can you give me the contact info for this guy you used? Thanks much.

Rocky

7. healthizez

healthizez Junior Member

Staze, did you have it done? I have another option for you if not. I also got a Venture Shield clear bra...in Eugene. Jim

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Who's the installer here in Portland? That price seems a bit high.

9. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cost me $400 to get my car done. Hood, front bumper, mirrors and small piece under gas flap. Holding up well with 48K on my car now. The guy I used I would not recommend becasue he did one of my other cars and had to re-do it. But at least it gives you a price range.

10. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rockefella @ Dec 30 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]368831[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for the delay as I was out of town for a few days. Joe at Sundimmers did my clear bra , can't say enough good things about Joe and his work.

Ken

11. rockefella

rockefella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(H2OSkier @ Jan 1 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]369348[/snapback]</div>
    Ken,

Thanks, I went to see Sean at Sundimmers (I don't think there is a Joe). He did the FRONT bumper, hood, lights, pillars, part of roof. And he did the REAR bumper. The rear bumper was a custom job since the templates only cover the top of the rear bumper, but I wanted the part of the bumper which will contact other cars wrapped too.

While I was there, I also got my windows tinted.

The whole thing cost me $995 ($375 for the Pinnacle tinting) but I am very pleased and impressed. The custom job on the rear bumper looks great by the way - Sean is a master!

Sean offered to even do my doors! I'm still thinking about that one.

Sean knows about PriusChat and he takes good care of PC people.

I'm not getting paid to say this, I'm just sharing my experience.

12. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having put 100k miles on my 04 and 06 combined, go at least 12 inches up the hood from the front bumper with the clear bra.
    Also, I tried it on the fog lights, but got a major crack in one after 15k miles(so I don't know if it helps on the fogs).

13. BubbaVO

BubbaVO New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I ended up going on the 3M website and found an installer not too far away from where I live who'd do it for less than $400. The dealer wanted almost $1,000.

As for whether it works, my buddy has an A8 that had the 3M film installed. His wife scraped the side of the front bumper against the garage door while parking. He literally peeled off the damage. He's looking to get a replacement application. This stuff works.