1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another comment at Trader Joe's today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jkash, Apr 28, 2006.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For some reason, I get more comments on my car at Trader Joe's than any other store I frequent. I stealthed into my parking space as usual. When I got out, the woman next to me said, "That is the quietest car I have ever seen." I explained to her that it was a hybrid and was getting 57 miles per gallon on this tank so far. She replied, "There should be 50,000 more of these on the road."

I enjoy conversations like these.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can identify with the Trader Joe's tie-in :)

Sometimes I hop in my Rav and drive in stealth mode out of my garage, through my neighborhood, down the freeway at 65mph for 40 miles and into my nearest Trader Joe's parking lot. And I hear the comment, "Man that's a quiet car. You must get good mileage in those hybrids."
    To which I reply: "It is quiet because it has no engine and uses no gas. Doesn't even have a tailpipe. It is all electric."
    "Where do you buy those?" I'm then often asked. And I have to reply, "sadly, nowhere." :(

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was at Trader Joes about 6 months ago and saw a woman with a bumper sticker that said "Environment is everything" - on an Expedition. Nothing against an Expedition per se - she may have a large family and have to tow a boat or something, but you have to wonder about people like that who don't see the irony - or even hypocrisy - of themselves.

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ourr TJ's here in La Mesa seems to be a meeting place for the Prii of East County. Whether I go on Sunday or Saturday morning I can usually count on seeing at least one or two other Prius there. One day a lady with a Salsa parked right next to mine...they seemed very happy together. Same with the Grossmont 24 hour fitness. I guess alot of us are TJ and exercise people.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

What's Trader Joe's?

6. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 28 2006, 10:43 PM) [snapback]247084[/snapback]</div>
    TJ's is a somewhat upscale chain that sells gourmet and unusual foods and wines, some packaged under their name. It doesn't carry a full complement of groceries; it's kinda the L.L. Bean of food vendors.

7. Subversive

Subversive New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Apr 29 2006, 01:53 AM) [snapback]247092[/snapback]</div>
    It should also be noted that their prices are very good and often less than a regular grocery store. My girlfriend & I drive 45 minutes each way to do 98% of our weekly grocery there because the food is so very good....

8. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Apr 28 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]247060[/snapback]</div>
    You mean like having the support the troops ribbon on their giant SUVs? :lol:

Guess they are supporting the troops alright. Support them, with their gas hogs, to stay in Iraq longer.... :angry:

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 29 2006, 01:43 AM) [snapback]247084[/snapback]</div>
    A place where you can buy very cheap wine ("Two Buck Chuck")

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Apr 28 2006, 10:53 PM) [snapback]247092[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. See http://www.traderjoes.com and http://www.traderjoes.com/locations/index.asp for a list of locations.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Apr 28 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]247060[/snapback]</div>
    We, as humans, are hard-wired to not see our own hypocrasy. We can employ logic to solve problems, but we do not behave logically. Instead, we use logic to invent excuses for not behaving logically. An environmentalist who habitually rides a bicycle would see us Prius drivers as we see an SUV driver. And the SUV driver will justify her SUV just as we justify burning gas at all.

If you are middle-class in the USA, you are using many times as much energy as the majority of the world's people. Sure, we Prius drivers drive the most efficient and clean gas-burning car around (if you don't count the Insight) but how about home-heating and A/C, vacation travel, and all the things we consume that were transported long distances?

I visited a friend once. I drove 300 miles to get there, and when I arrived, as I would be sleeping on the floor, I used an electric hair drier to inflate my air mattress. He expressed shock and dismay at my use of electricity (maybe a penny's worth?) to inflate the mattress, but never said a word about the 17 gallons of gas I burned on the round trip. (This was in my old Civic.)

I hate SUVs because they block my view, and too many of their drivers cannot keep their vehicle within their lane. But I wonder who has the smaller environmental footprint: me with my big house and efficient car and several trips a year, or an SUV driver who lives in a house half the size of mine and stays at home?

We're all hypocrites. That includes me. Check out the log in your own eye.

12. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 29 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]247162[/snapback]</div>
    Exacly.

13. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see more Prii in the parking lot of the local Trader Joe's than anywhere else.

14. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Before I got mine I talked to a lady in the TJ's parking lot. She showed me the interior room, and said she likes the car better than her Acura. It was the first personal contact that really got me thinking Prius. I was interested in them technically, but considered them kinda goofy. That was before $2 gas too. I'm so glad I talked to her. I asked another friend, got the same rave review, and 2 month later, I'm one of them too. Thanks, TJ's.

15. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave @ May 1 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]248074[/snapback]</div>
    I think places like TJ's attracts the type of people who are forward thinking individuals...I love me my TJ's too! TJ's is almost bordering on being a crunchy-granola-type grocery store, but is definitely more mainstream-oriented than say Mother's Market or Whole Foods Market. Prius owners are definitely forward thinkers. :)

16. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Trader Joe's has the best red licorice ive ever had. Their hickory smoked bbq chips are to die for!(the ones in the red bag)
    Every time I go there, I usually see a Prius there.

17. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 29 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]247162[/snapback]</div>

True enough - but I only point it out because the woman presented the perspective that "environment is everything" but was apparently doing little on her own to uphold that view. I don't subscribe to this notion. Environment is important, but not the only thing. If I were to put the same bumper sticker on my Prius or espouse the view that environment was "everything" above all else, then the guy biking to work would have legitimate reason to point out my own hypocrisy. Personally, I don't have a problem with SUVs, per se. Only knuckleheads.

By the way - I saw another great one - a window sticker plastered in very large letters across the back window of an Expedition - this one critical of Bush/Iraq and $ for Halliburton, etc. On an Expedition! Another knucklehead as far as I'm concerned.

18. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Trader Joe's Cat Cookies for the win! :)

19. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

The orange flavored dried cranberries are fantastic...just like everything else there. There are usually plenty of Prius in the parking at the one I used to go to in Santa Fe. The only time I drove there in another car (Subaru Forester), I got a flat tire in the parking lot...is this a sign?

20. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ May 1 2006, 06:18 PM) [snapback]248278[/snapback]</div>
    No - the little choc chip ones are the best!