1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Engine Oil Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ghatid, Feb 25, 2008.

1. ghatid

ghatid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey Guys,
    I'm sorry for asking another question about Engine oil, you'd think with all of these threads, I would be able to figure out an answer for myself...
    Anyways, I have just put 10k miles on my Prius, and to keep up with my warranty, I decided to go ahead and keep doing changes every 5000 miles.
    First question:
    It should be okay if its +/- a few hundred miles right? Toyota isn't going to say that I didn't keep up with the 5000-mile oil change if I changed it after 5,500 miles?
    2nd: Everyone seems to talk about either going all synthetic or not at all (pure dino), what about synthetic blends? Are they all hype? Is there any benefit to them at all?
    3rd: It should be okay that I'm changing to synthetic at 10k, right? People say not to change when the car is too old because it has cracks being filled by the non-synthetic oil which may be washed away by the synthetic.
    Thanks for your help,
    Sorry if some of these questions have been answered already, I tried looking through this whole forum...
    Please help Doraemon (the name of my sky-blue '07 Prius, google it if you don't know what Doraemon is:-D)

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ghatid, welcome to PriusChat!
    First, you're ok with +/- a few hundred miles.
    Second, why pay more for not much more? If you're looking for cream, don't get half-and-half.
    Third, 10K miles should be fine, long enough to let parts seat (though with modern engines this isn't a problem) and soon enough that the parts aren't too worn and let the synthetic seep out.

Since the Prius ICE only runs part time, and never does cold hard starts, miles are not the same as on a conventional gas burner.

3. ghatid

ghatid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks a bunch. You helped clarify a lot for me:). I'll go tell Doraemon.